Another R17 owner planning to upgrade

The last Webers made in Italy was 1992, as of 1993 all new Webers were made in Madrid , Spain, and I am told by a friend in Webcon in the UK that the last NOS Italian Webers were probably sold before 2000.

Ray

Redline were selling them in the US as part of a kit for BMW 2002 upgrade some years ago. Not cheap, but a nice kit they put together with their own manifolds and linkages.

Glad to hear the flat spot is but a splutter! That's awesome :)

Shoji I finally found my 12G workshop manual today. Guess its a bit late to send a copy of the dizzy graph. But I also read where I had translated the bit on progression holes. They have 2 X ....wait for it.... 2.5 mm. I remember now I was a bit worried about drilling those and decided to go with the Alpine 310 version with the 3 holes. I have used the 12g jets though. I might think about trying the 2.5 mm holes on my 12 G replica when I decide to get it back in the land of the living.

Shoji I finally found my 12G workshop manual today. Guess its a bit late to send a copy of the dizzy graph. But I also read where I had translated the bit on progression holes. They have 2 X ....wait for it.... 2.5 mm. I remember now I was a bit worried about drilling those and decided to go with the Alpine 310 version with the 3 holes. I have used the 12g jets though. I might think about trying the 2.5 mm holes on my 12 G replica when I decide to get it back in the land of the living.

Wow! 2.5mm, that has to be the first hole and then I suspect they come down in size as it passes through to the mains.?? Thanks sunroof. I was worried when Tuesday, I drilled out to 1mm on the new holes. It seems all good but a wee splutter every now and then but that could be tune, plugs, etc. Rolling road would be good when I get around to it. In Mandurah there are to many cowboys so a stay clear of trying them out.

Go see the files sold by the Aus Jewellers' supplies shop in the city. Vallorbe, made in Swizerland. I have a few but the one that takes the cake is a round 1mm diameter flexible like a sword and cuts like butter through anything. I can't remember how many times I thought shit, I f***ed it only to find it was still in one piece. Watchmakers also use these. In fact if you watch Clickspring on youtube, you'll see Chris is using Vallorbes as well.

Wow, a new toy shop! What a fascinating website. Many thanks for that information.

Wow! 2.5mm, that has to be the first hole and then I suspect they come down in size as it passes through to the mains.?? Thanks sunroof. I was worried when Tuesday, I drilled out to 1mm on the new holes. It seems all good but a wee splutter every now and then but that could be tune, plugs, etc. Rolling road would be good when I get around to it. In Mandurah there are to many cowboys so a stay clear of trying them out.

2.5 mm eh? You will need Plan B to fill and redrill or you'll struggle to actually try it...… That's a huge hole. Very interesting.

A Solex 32 PDIST but parallel logic. Mine runs too lean at revs, so I've changed to a smaller Air Correction jet on Ray's advice. It was snatching a tiny bit from idle to main too but before I got over-excited and pulled more of it apart and then to blow out the transition system passages and the little holes in the throat, I played with the idle mixture. Some gentle adjustment there to lean off the idle a bit and speed it up again and all is sweet in that transition. Funny things, carburettors. I almost understand how they work but haven't got my mind around the air correction jet at all.

A Solex 32 PDIST but parallel logic. Mine runs too lean at revs, so I've changed to a smaller Air Correction jet on Ray's advice. It was snatching a tiny bit from idle to main too but before I got over-excited and pulled more of it apart and then to blow out the transition system passages and the little holes in the throat, I played with the idle mixture. Some gentle adjustment there to lean off the idle a bit and speed it up again and all is sweet in that transition. Funny things, carburettors. I almost understand how they work but haven't got my mind around the air correction jet at all.

Which car is this Solex on JohnW?

It's probably best not to tell pork pies in the first place.
I found out quite innocently, looking on ebay to discover what an Atco was worth.

My experience was with a Qualcast drum mower in the early 60s. Possibly the most unreliable mower ever built.

Atco 1.jpg This one is now complete. Love your signature BTW

Something I did mid last year. JohnW was kind enough to supply a block of steel that he brought down for my gear linkage project on the 17.
I drilled and tapped some threads to suit some bolts and also drilled the hole for the two round linkage rods in 13mm. I then cut a decent slit on it's side through the two threaded holes and into the 13mm linkage rod hole. This is what I ended up with.

Joint for selector shaft.jpg
Block of steel.jpg
Linkage component.jpg

GekoEng also supplied me with a box of linkage parts and I used one of the parts to upgrade the ball joint. The original was too worn out and just kept coming off. It now has plenty of adjustment. I also slightly extented the gear lever with some treaded rod to about 15mm tighten the gate shifting. But since this works well I could go to 50mm too experiment more. I removed the spring from the lever as this 5 sp box seems to jump to the 3rd and 4th position when in neutral as a standard. Probably should take the little ring off the end.
Thanks for your help gentlemen! Works a treat.

Linkages with extra adjustment.jpg
Extended gear lever.jpg

If anybody wants another atco to restore I have one... think it’s 18”. It’s one of the kick start ones.