Koleos Hints, Tips, Problems

I recently had the dreaded " check handbrake" warning appear on my 2009 manual petrol Koleos, but was momentarily put at ease when my friendly dealer advised that it would probably be caused by a battery that was low in charge.In any case, I purchased a new battery and the dealer was kind enough to remove the fault code for me .Unfortunately the fault re-appeared 2 days later so I booked it in for a check up. Things went downhill rapidly from there as they managed to deactivate the parking brake whilst working on removing the code and then gave me a price for replacement parts that comfortably exceeded the value of my vehicle , some $5,800 including fitting.There was momentary relief when they apparently found a part for $690 but it was for an automatic Koleos and it seems that they can't be reprogrammed to work with a manual transmission.Renault proved to be worse than useless and insist that they won't give me any rebate or discount on the price, even though the handbrake was working perfectly well, despite the warning message ,
before the technicians deactivated it.Has anyone here experienced this sort of problem previously or, know where I can purchase a second hand electronic parking brake that will work on a 2009 manual Koleos ?

I recently had the dreaded " check handbrake" warning appear on my 2009 manual petrol Koleos, but was momentarily put at ease when my friendly dealer advised that it would probably be caused by a battery that was low in charge.In any case, I purchased a new battery and the dealer was kind enough to remove the fault code for me .Unfortunately the fault re-appeared 2 days later so I booked it in for a check up. Things went downhill rapidly from there as they managed to deactivate the parking brake whilst working on removing the code and then gave me a price for replacement parts that comfortably exceeded the value of my vehicle , some $5,800 including fitting.There was momentary relief when they apparently found a part for $690 but it was for an automatic Koleos and it seems that they can't be reprogrammed to work with a manual transmission.Renault proved to be worse than useless and insist that they won't give me any rebate or discount on the price, even though the handbrake was working perfectly well, despite the warning message ,
before the technicians deactivated it.Has anyone here experienced this sort of problem previously or, know where I can purchase a second hand electronic parking brake that will work on a 2009 manual Koleos ?

No, never happened in 11 years of ownership. Try Dave Cavanagh for a s/h replacement unit.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a HY Koleos.
I have various (PDF) repair manuals, and Dialogys but none have a wiring diagram.
One is over 13,000 pages long and in 3 languages but it still doesn't have wiring.
I could possibly buy a Haynes or Renault Visu but to shell out twenty - fifty bucks for a file to use once seem a waste.

Cheers
RTT

Last edited:
Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a HY Koleos.
I have various (PDF) repair manuals, and Dialogys but none have a wiring diagram.
One is over 13,000 pages long and in 3 languages but it still doesn't have wiring.
I could possibly buy a Haynes or Renault Visu but to shell out twenty - fifty bucks for a file to use once seem a waste.

Cheers
RTT

Appears to be manual number NT8451.

No, never happened in 11 years of ownership. Try Dave Cavanagh for a s/h replacement unit.
Thanks. I will do that once I have located him.It appears that there are no manual Koleos electronic parking brake switches available in Australia btw, either new or secondhand.My experience appears to be identical to that of another poster who's handbrake was deactivated by Renault techs under the guise of clearing a fault and replaced with flashing lights and warning buzzers.My feeling is that they really do not know what they are doing in this regard and Renault replacement prices are quite honestly an absolute disgrace.

Appears to be manual number NT8451.

When you do eventually find a wiring diagram perhaps you could let us know what the differing electrical inputs are for Koleos manual and diesel electronic handbrake? It would seem crazy to require two separate types as they both operate identically on the rear brakes.

When you do eventually find a wiring diagram perhaps you could let us know what the differing electrical inputs are for Koleos manual and diesel electronic handbrake? It would seem crazy to require two separate types as they both operate identically on the rear brakes.

Sure, if it's in there.
Don't know if it will explain why the diesel handbrake type differs from the petrol type, the manuals tend to be very sparse on explanations unless it's one of the service bulletins.

Hello Kim,

I got a NT8451 finally and here are the circuits for the 2TR Manual gearbox and 2TR Automatic gearbox types.
View attachment 4X4DIESEL PARK BRAKE.PDFView attachment 4X4DIESEL PARK BRAKE Manual Gearbox.PDF

A very cursory inspection look the same to me.

Cheers
RTT

I know this has been discussed here before but it's been a while and this subforum has been a bit quiet lately so maybe a post is called-for.
I installed a reversing camera in the koleflower last week.
I took the easy way out and used the type with the transmitter and receiver so it wasn't necessary to run wires from the tailgate to the monitor saving that hassle at least. All went in relatively painlessly and took about half a day.
The camera is fitted to the number plate light lens (special for Koleos/QM5) and the camera and transmitter are powered from the reversing lights.
The monitor is one of the types that clip on the existing rear vision mirror and the monitor and receiver are powered from a spare fuse position on the fuse box. I opted for the 5" display as the monitor for this size is only marginally larger than the existing rearvision mirror and the next size up (7") is much wider. Apart from the wire going from the monitor into the roof lining, there are no visible wires.

In operation it was disappointing. Everything works as it should with the camera and monitor only coming on when the car is in reverse and the display showing from the tow-ball back a several meters and about the width of the car. However on sunny days the picture quality is very poor with the display being over-bright and lacking contrast. Night time, overcast days, and in underground car parks, etc. it's great. I'm not sure whether it's the camera or monitor that is being overloaded but changing the picture settings on the monitor have little effect (I suspect the camera). Being in the Sunshine State and coming into an El-Nino season I can look forward to lots of sunshine this summer so may not be that helpful. Another small issue is that because the camera is off-set to the drivers side the camera grid lines are also off-set so shouldn't be used.
The fact that my car also has the sunroof doesn't help. Although the sunroof glass is tinted and there is a blind it still lets in a lot of light killing the contrast on the monitor somewhat. Having to be a reverse monitor and a rear view mirror means both functions are compromised somewhat.

Still, despite it's shortcomings, and for well under $100, the camera is a worthwhile addition and is cheaper than buying a newer car with a camera already fitted. On sunny days one has to check the camera first for obstacles then reverse as one would if there was no camera, no biggie.

IMG_0531.JPGIMG_0529.JPG

Last edited:
Been a quiet time in Koleos land.
Does anyone know if the LCD Radio/Time/Date displays can be substituted for the dot-matrix displays on the earlier versions?
The orange dot-matrix display on my car is getting a bit hard to see so I'm looking to replace it but there are more of the LCD displays around then dot-matrix. (Orange is not a colour I like a whole lot anyway).
I realise even if they're wired the same it will only show time/temperature/radio, not sat-nav, blue-tooth or anything else on the later displays. Just after same functions but different colour.
Don't want to buy-and-try, apart from the cash I don't want to fry any of the wiring if they're incompatible.
Maybe someone has already tried.

Cheers
RTT

Last edited:
One of the features of the early Koleos is the excellent after dark illumination of the dash and other items. Red and orange are the colours least likely to destroy your night vision and the Koleos, like the much more expensive BMW's (and others) uses the same display colour throughout the car, unlike several brands which are lit up like Christmas trees in various non-matching night vision-destroying colours. Like it or not, orange is a lot less distracting than white, blue or green.

Been a quiet time in Koleos land.
Does anyone know if the LCD Radio/Time/Date displays can be substituted for the dot-matrix displays on the earlier versions?
The orange dot-matrix display on my car is getting a bit hard to see so I'm looking to replace it but there are more of the LCD displays around then dot-matrix. (Orange is not a colour I like a whole lot anyway).
I realise even if they're wired the same it will only show time/temperature/radio, not sat-nav, blue-tooth or anything else on the later displays. Just after same functions but different colour.
Don't want to buy-and-try, apart from the cash I don't want to fry any of the wiring if they're incompatible.
Maybe someone has already tried.

Cheers
RTT
Yep tried won't work. Has one plug the same but wont display.

Yep tried won't work. Has one plug the same but wont display.

Hello Cav, cheers for that, I'll stick to the orange dot-matrix display then.
The plugs on the two displays look the same but the LCD display has what looks like an additional 3 RCA-like plugs on the back.
Given that the radio head-units appear to be the same between the LCD and dot-matrix I was hoping the displays were wired the same. But of course that would be too easy.

View attachment Central harness - S23.PDF

Cheers
RTT

The one I tried was from a 2015 model bose. So maybe being later made a difference. If you can find an earlier large type screen with orange instruments. It might be worth a shot

This is the back of the dot-matrix type display
Koleos Clock-temperature display rear.jpg

This is the LCD
Koleos Clock-temperature-Satnav display rear.jpg

Seem to be the same main harness plug.

The LCD also have the Blue/White/Yellow plugs which do god knows, perhaps they're camera inputs.

Cheers
RTT

The one I tried. Plugged straight in, but didnt display anything.

Hello Cav91, I don't doubt you're right about the displays not being compatible.
Further searching on youtubeipedia suggests the problem is the the display delaminating and the electronics are likely to be okay.
This is often caused by heat and that sure fits the symptoms on mine. The problem has gotten worse since the warmer weather. The display being sat on the top of the dash is in a prime location for cooking in the sun.
Theoretically one might be able to peel-off the plastic overlay(s) on the display, clean it up, and then reapply the overlays and this should fix the problem.
Me, I'll see if I can get another display, maybe from down south where it is a bit cooler if the suggestion that heat is the cause of the deterioration is correct.

Cheers
RTT

My central display was replaced under warranty years ago- the ambient temperature was way out. It's a pretty crappy display anyway, rounded to the whole degree, but I like the reading to be vaguely near reality. The unit is on the fritz again, this time flickering especially when the car's been sitting in the sun for a while. It would be nice to be able to get something a bit better, and preferably not that horrible orange, night vision be damned.