GreenBlood’s D(very)Special Rejuvenation 2009>

Thanks Chris for the source of the non adhesive grey loom tape.
I too had searched for some time without success.
Now have ordered two rolls, just in case I ever need them.
Of course, for Franken D, they will be required.
The Safari has the originals and in great nick. Though I might be tempted to revisit the rear loom coverings for the rear lights, I recall doing them in adhesive tape after the original came apart in many pieces.

Excellent sleuthing on your part mate.

Thanks Chris for the source of the non adhesive grey loom tape.
I too had searched for some time without success.
Now have ordered two rolls, just in case I ever need them.
Of course, for Franken D, they will be required.
The Safari has the originals and in great nick. Though I might be tempted to revisit the rear loom coverings for the rear lights, I recall doing them in adhesive tape after the original came apart in many pieces.

Excellent sleuthing on your part mate.

Grey non adhesive loom tape is available from Jaydee

http://www.jaydeeautocables.com.au/catalogue/Jaydee_Catalogue.pdf page 33 LHS middle

I've used it for R16 wiring repairs.

Thanks for that link, Robmac. I didn't even know that existed. They've got a great selection of parts, just need a price list. :cool:

Ah, for that even I have to ring them.

They are well priced from what I can see. For example the plastic interlocking 5 pin bosch style relay bases are around $1.50 ea and boxes of 100x silver plated lugs to suit were $12.00

Far cheaper than anyone else. For the quantities I buy I don't quibble since they carry such a good stock!
I'm grateful to able to get the bits and pieces.

Most auto electrical stuff I scrounge from car recyclers and then buy the new "pins" for the connectors from Jaydee.

They also offer a cable "striping" service. So if you need real authenticity you can have cablemade to manufacturers colors. Of course their is a minimum length.

May 2012

Not a great deal to this update, a bit of a diversion with cleaning up the backyard and disappearing a defunct swimming pool...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

...but enough of that :clown:

In a previous post I fitted a new fuel sender unit, couldn't put the fuel tank cover back without a coat of paint - should be a satin finish but I'm using the 2K gloss black because I still have a fair bit left from painting the rear tub.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I forgot to re-fit the rubber seal after painting, so had to pull it all out again and fit the seal :clown:

attachment.php

...and then fitted the new seat belts front and rear, these were supplied via Michaelr's contact Seat Safe and attract a 10% discount for Aussiefrog members - ask for Kerry (http://www.seatsafe.com.au/). :)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Next? Pull out the rear glass, fit rear speakers, remember to run the wiring for the heated glass and boot light. I'm waiting for delivery of roof lining fabric (not the real deal but I'm hoping it's a close match), paint the roof, find an auto upholsterer to reline the inside of the sunroof, refit roof...

Cheers
Chris

Attachments

• Backyard2.jpg
    Backyard2.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 2,224
  • Backyard1.jpg
    Backyard1.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 1,442
  • Backyard2a.jpg
    Backyard2a.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 1,418
  • 1Rusty_cover.jpg
    1Rusty_cover.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 1,481
  • 2Deoxidine_cover.jpg
    2Deoxidine_cover.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 1,487
  • 3Undercoat_cover.jpg
    3Undercoat_cover.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 1,417
  • 4Painted_cover.jpg
    4Painted_cover.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 1,429
  • 5Cover in place2.jpg
    5Cover in place2.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 1,438
  • Rear Belts1.jpg
    Rear Belts1.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 1,515
  • Rightt hand C Pillar Belt.jpg
    Rightt hand C Pillar Belt.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 1,493
Strewth Chris, that backyard looks flat enough for a garage.....

Love the gloss black on the fuel tank cover and the black seat belts.
I should consider a set of brown ones for the Safari...one day.

Is the dream turning into reality?

Attachments

• Shed.jpg
    Shed.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 380
Is the dream turning into reality?

Just what I had in mind, but with a raised centre for the four post hoist :D :roflmao: :D
Not sure Mrs GB has the same vision :(

Cheers
Chris

Send her on a long deserved holiday, then seek forgiveness, much easier than seeking permission.

attachment.php

a big shed would be great and would fit well along with i reckon i could fit a 6-8 bank aviary in there for starters and with QLD have birds breeding all year round

Upgraded dream:headbang:
:cheers:

Attachments

• Shed-2.jpg
    Shed-2.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 374
Upgraded dream:headbang:
:cheers:

I could live with that, a little closer to the left boundary :D

I found myself looking at hoists today - the bubble burst, I'll have to content myself with my Supercheap Tyvek shed for a while longer :(

...but don't think I don't appreciate your trouble, even Mrs GB has had a giggle :headbang:

Cheers
Chris

I'm thinking he might feel more at home in one of these...just putting it out there..:wink2:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Shed-2cc.jpg
    Shed-2cc.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 1,214
I'm thinking he might feel more at home in one of these...just putting it out there..:wink2:

That might work for special occasions, I was thinking more like this.... :)

attachment.php

Cheers
Chris

Attachments

• Shed1.jpg
    Shed1.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 1,328
Back on topic :>)

Today after a long search and an even longer wait, a parcel arrived with 7 metres of vinyl to re-line the roof, C-Pillars and rear window hoop (a liitle extra to line the sliding sunroof).

I've been very intent on getting something that is a close match in texture and colour, I can live with the slight variation from original - the texture is more structured a boxy basket-weave the colour described as off white is very light grey, very much like the ribbed hoop that fits to the roof rail on D Specials.

Colour and Texture

attachment.php

attachment.php

Close up of texture, a more boxy pattern, the flash has blown out the colour here.

attachment.php

C-Pillar lined, trial fit.

attachment.php

Rear Hoop trial fit.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I'm more than happy with the result, you start to get an idea of how it will all come together with the textures on the upholstery and roof lining, soft shadows on curves - love it. :)

Cheers
Chris

Attachments

• Texture colour.jpg
    Texture colour.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 1,472
  • Close up texture.jpg
    Close up texture.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 2,862
  • Rppf hoop.jpg
    Rppf hoop.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 1,466
  • Left C Pillar.jpg
    Left C Pillar.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 1,458
  • Rear Hoop2.jpg
    Rear Hoop2.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 1,423
  • Rear Hoop.jpg
    Rear Hoop.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 1,410
I like the fine texture ridges in the trim Chris, helps the basket weave look not so much like basket weave, if that makes any sense at all.

The material will look the biz when it's all on the roof.

Now it's full steam ahead, go for it!

I like the fine texture ridges in the trim Chris, helps the basket weave look not so much like basket weave, if that makes any sense at all.

I think I do Richo, from the angle in that shot, it marries the fluting on the exterior C-Pillar trim, even more so in real life, the photos seem to bleach the colour a little.

It is a huge step forward for me, I've just not been happy with the various sample vinyls I've tracked down from all over the globe - this stuff has a decent depth of texture, the weave is about the same size as original and the colour is as close as it gets - thrilled.

Cheers
Chris

I think I do Richo, from the angle in that shot, it marries the fluting on the exterior C-Pillar trim, even more so in real life, the photos seem to bleach the colour a little.

It is a huge step forward for me, I've just not been happy with the various sample vinyls I've tracked down from all over the globe - this stuff has a decent depth of texture, the weave is about the same size as original and the colour is as close as it gets - thrilled.

Cheers
Chris

Great thread Chris! I'd watch your punctuation though mate it can be a bit hard to follow.:cheers: