308 - Comments & Chipping

PaulM

Fellow Frogger
Hey everyone :) newbie here.

Have been seriously considering a 308 Diesel instead of a Golf GTD due to the amazing price atm and the special offers. I also love the look - it stands out as unique rather than like every other car.

I'd be really appreciative if anyone who owns a 11 or 12 308 to give me some feedback.

How's it handle?
Fuel economy?
Gearbox (looking at auto)?
What's the torque/power range? I read somewhere that it's avail from 1800 revs (insane) but is that really the case?
How's it handle bumps etc?
Are there any annoying traits?
Is the sunroof a gimmick or does it really work?
What about the MFD - does it give meaningful info?
Leather or cloth?
Headlights - do they do the job? I used to have bi-xennons & they are awesome.
I live in Darwin - air cond that has guts and is cold is a must. How's the 308 cope?

Also - has anyone chipped theirs? I saw Superchips boast a possible 154Kw & 445nm out of their chip. That's a stunning result (120kw/340nm standard).

Paul, Cant talk too much at all on how they drive but the look of the 308 really galvalizes views on this forum. I think they look great but fans of the brand dont like them much. Im not sure yet if I would purchase one though.

Looks initially didnt do much for me either but inside it's a different story... and once I drove it...

I've got a 2lt diesel 6spd manual hatchback

In answer to your questions..

Handles good IMO. 308 was made with a bit more sportier bent. A ubjective view..depends what you are used to.
Economy is about 5.6lt/100klm over all. I do like to punt along. Engines pulling power is lovely.
Mine's manual. hate autos with a passion.
Torque is beautiful once you get to about 1600-1700rpm. Brings a smile to my face.
Ride can be a bit jarry. but keeps a good line if road really rough.
Annoying traits... none that spring to mind.
Dont have a sunroof
MFD doesn't show that much. low res readout in mono orange reminds me of old first generation computer monitors.
Mine has cloth. seems to be wearing quicker than my old 405 did
Headlights.. I put in plus 50 globes when an original one blew. Quite happy with the lights. You can get plus80's for a price.
Aircond is good in Canberra. Summers can get some stinkers.

Dont know about chipping. Go for drive in one. A Manual one! we have a 2lt Ford Focus auto at work. (similar PSA engine) it doesnt have the go mine has...certainly not helped by the auto tranny

Decca

I've got a 2008 308 XSE HDI auto wagon. Not exactly what are you looking for, but similar enough. Today I'm also driving a brand 2011 HDI hatchback as a loan car.

How's it handle?
Fuel economy?
What's the torque/power range? I read somewhere that it's avail from 1800 revs (insane) but is that really the case?
Leather or cloth?
I live in Darwin - air cond that has guts and is cold is a must. How's the 308 cope?

Handles good enough for a wagon, the hatch handles quite well actually (but obviously doesn't compare to my BMW 325Ci).
Good on fuel. Stop/start city with lots of traffic lights and hills: 8.5 l/100km. Country driving 5.5. Manual would be another 0.5 less.
Auto is a good combination with the HDI engine. The 2011 auto seems to be have a quicker shift than the 2008.
Torque is great. Little initial turbo lag when in D, but ok in manual or sports mode. Great torque from 1800 RPM. Runs out of puff quite soon (but plenty of torque available in the next gear).
My wagon doesn't handle bumps too well (has got 17" wheels, probably better off with 16")
Annoying: cup-holders, small glove-box.
We've got the fixed-glass panorama roof. Love it. Makes the car nice and bright inside and has the blind for hot days.
Definitely go for leather if you don't mind the extra cost. Makes the car looking so much classier.
Headlights: can't really comment on those. They are ok, but don't really know how they compare.
A/C: VERY AVERAGE. Takes a very long time to cool down on hot days and is very noisy initially. Once the car as a comfortable temperature the A/C is great and adjusts really well. But initial cooling is very poor in my opinion.

Thanks Beat :) appreciate your detailed post.

How did you find the interior? Is it cheap n nasty like a Korean or classy like a euro?

How about the controls / stereo / gadets (love my gadgets lol). I was talking to the yard about Satnav and he said get an aftermarket.

Must say I do like the look and the glass roof is just awesome - would be amazing up here in the wet with the amount of storms we get!

If find the 308 interior very classy (which is obviously my own personal taste), especially when you have the leather seats. The interior is a big step up from the 207 or 307 which look a bit more "Korean", as you call it.

I've got the top spec model with pretty much all the options like SatNav, MP3 Jukebox etc. I like how the SatNav is integrated into the car, but it's very awkward to use (NOT touch-screen). If you use it once in a while it's ok, on a regular basis it would be pretty annoying. Choosing the SatNav option also gives you a built-in phone (not just bluetooth - you just need another SIM card) and a 20 or 30 GB jukbox for your MP3 files - I love those. That SatNav option however is very expensive and I wouldn't choose it on a new car - I've bought mine 1 year old with all the options already fitted. Please not that the SatNav system on the current cars might be different - mine is a 2008 model.

The steering wheel on my loan car today is really really classy...

Controls are a bit different (especially cruise control and audio - 2 extra shorter stalks on the steering column). But doesn't take long to get used to it and once you are they are actually very good.

Thanks again - you're a champ!

And you wouldn't believe it but I actually saw a silver one in Darwin today!

Hey everyone :) newbie here.

Have been seriously considering a 308 Diesel instead of a Golf GTD due to the amazing price atm and the special offers. I also love the look - it stands out as unique rather than like every other car.

I'd be really appreciative if anyone who owns a 11 or 12 308 to give me some feedback.

How's it handle?
Fuel economy?
Leather or cloth?

Also - has anyone chipped theirs? I saw Superchips boast a possible 154Kw & 445nm out of their chip. That's a stunning result (120kw/340nm standard).

Bought a new 2011 petrol auto Sportium a few months ago. Drove the diesel but decided on the petrol version because of the deal offered, and the performance even though i am a diesel convert.
Swapped it for a 3008 after a month because that was part of the deal if i wanted to. Have bought a few cars from the dealer and have a really bad back.
Previous car to compare the handling to - '09 BMW 320d. the 308 is excellent in my opinion.
Comfort - seats in beema more comfy, but 308 are OK. Leather was too hard, and for the first time in 20 years I preferred fabric.
Ride comfort - not as harsh as the Beema but uncomfortably 'jouncy and jittery' for me due to small car, short wheelbase and stiff suspension. That was a main reason I swapped it.
Driving - it was fun! enough grunt, little turbo lag - sporty feel. really liked it. High end torque better than diesel I drove and so was 0 - 100.
Fuel economy - can't remember but close to the claimed usage plus about 1l / 100. Hated Shell and Caltex, must use premium.
Headlights - get bi xenon.
air con wasn't as quick to fire up as I wanted but OK after a while.- 3008 leaves it for dead.
gearbox was fine - diesel not so good; tended to get confused.
don't know anything about chips unless they come with fish.
annoying traits - harsh jittery ride. Red displays invisible with sunglasses on
no sunroof - can't comment. No sat nav - have 7" chinese portable bought on E Bay for $107. great!!
conclusion: petrol not diesel, conti tyres not michelin for softer ride, great fun small car. if we could afford two cars I would have a 308 as the 'second' car.
cheers, Kev:cheers:

Last edited:
Thanks Bigkev! Great review :)

So really the only main issues are those you can tweak i.e. suspension & aircond. I read somewhere about Hychill? gas for the aircond makes a world of difference and no doubt there'd be a suspension option out there that may address the harsher ride.

Although leather looks great I might think twice about having it up North.

get the GTD

not only does the DSG crap over the 308s auto it also drives so much nicer and a simple flash tune can bump the power to 140 odd kw and a 410nm for around $800!

http://www.mybluefin.co.uk/search?make=38&fueltype=2&model=465&variant=2118&year=2011

the GTD is by far the better drivers car with GTI suspension. the 308 is significantly slower and feels very floaty in comparison.

we have had nothing but problems with our 308 and its been the most unreliable Pug we have ever had in the family. my mk6 golf on the other hand is the best car i have owned.
i know a few people with the older mk5 GT TDIs (same engine as the GTD) and they love them to bits.

go drive them back to back and im convinced you will like the GTD more

if you were looking for a comparable car to the 308 HDi i would be looking at a Golf Sportline 103TDI

Has anyone driven the 308 with the new EGC box? From what I read on overseas forums, they rate this highly as opposed to the previous box which was problematic?

already at its max if you take the robotic gearbox. If you take the real auto gearbox than no problem...

Thanks Bigkev! Great review :)

So really the only main issues are those you can tweak i.e. suspension & aircond. I read somewhere about Hychill? gas for the aircond makes a world of difference and no doubt there'd be a suspension option out there that may address the harsher ride.

Just to clarify the air issue - it worked fine after a short time; just took a few minutes to get really cold. Now, the suspension didn't suit me (annoyed me) because I'm a big man and more used to larger cars, and have a lot of joint pain. In other words I'm a bit too old for the 'Nuremburgring' developed ride. What I did do is change the tyres from the Michelins to Continentals (the dealer did it) and kept the 17'" 'sportium' standard wheels and the ride improved noticeably. I definately recommend that if you do buy one insist on Conti's.
The other thing I forgot is your question re interior finish and quality. It is excellent. Very tight, (as was the whole car) nothing rattly or loose or cheap feeling at all. Again, very Volvo / German standard.
The last small Pug we had was an 07 307 which was on right the 'changeover' to the 308 and there was a problem with the transmission behaviour. The latest 308 version is a great improvement on the pre facelift 308, and I particularly liked the engine (BMW developed I believe) and the transmission was very well behaved. Being a sceptic I tried to find faults, and didn't really succeed. For its class and especially the price (two of these for one 320 Beema) its a 'no brainer'. Drive it and go for a thrash - I'm sure you will be grinning when you stop.
lets know what you decide and how you find it.:cheers: