308 - Comments & Chipping

The diesels are NOT BMW related in any way shape or form. They are a Ford partnership (the same engine is in the new Focus and current Mondeo).

The 1.6 EP6 family of petrol engines are co-developed with BMW.

Gday,

I've been fortunate enough to drive a fair few 308's over the past couple of years for a couple of days at a time.

-The interior fit and finish is first class, as good as any other hatchback on the market that I'm aware of in my opinion.
-The ride is hugely improved over the 307 even with the optional 17's which look 10 times better than the 16's.
-The first petrol i had was fitted with the old 4 speed auto which was rubbish. However now they've got the 6 speed fitted to the diesel from day one in there it's a lovely car to drive..can't stress enough of how much of an improvement it's made.
-Both auto and manual HDI's are great (yet to drive a petrol manual). As long as you keep the thing on boost it goes brilliantly.
-The manual diesel got slightly better economy for me, but not by much.
-Hate to say it but the air con was rubbish in all of them, but I'm sure you could get this sorted.
-If i were you i would seriously consider the petrol auto..it's quicker, quieter, cheaper (i think?? please correct me if i'm wrong) and not that much worse on fuel.

Hope this helps..

Thanks GTi01 :) great read. They have a special ATM where Diesels are only $1k extra. Caradvice rated the Diesel at 4.5 stars and the petrol at 3.5 if I recall though I think that was the earlier version before the awesome 1.6 :)

Thanks GTi01 :) great read. They have a special ATM where Diesels are only $1k extra. Caradvice rated the Diesel at 4.5 stars and the petrol at 3.5 if I recall though I think that was the earlier version before the awesome 1.6 :)

That was when the petrol turbo had a 4 speed auto. It now has a 6 speed auto.

That was when the petrol turbo had a 4 speed auto. It now has a 6 speed auto.

Cheers DeKa - thought that may have been the case :)

Can anyone help on what the disclaimer on the Peugeot website "Series 1 models only" are? It's not the best website and I cant find anything online that even talks about a Series 2 model.

New Ford Focus is another option. They are available with the 2L diesel (PSA/Ford unit like the 308) and 6 speed Powershift gearbox (twin clutch auto like the DSG) in the top (Titanium) spec. Doesn't look too bad in the flesh either.

Cheers DeKa - thought that may have been the case :)

Can anyone help on what the disclaimer on the Peugeot website "Series 1 models only" are? It's not the best website and I cant find anything online that even talks about a Series 2 model.
Have you tried their brochure section?

There's a series 2 brochure and a series 2 specs download.

Probably the only references to Series 1 cars will be in the "latest offers" section, which is where all the runout models will be.

as i mentioned before, the direct competitor for the 308 sportium is a golf 2.0TDI 103 Sportline. think of the GTD as halfway between a GTI and 103 Sportline hence the bigger price difference.

ive driven a couple of sportline golfs and they left me cold. the 308 is definitely more interesting but i still stand by the fact the DSG box is far superior to the pug 6 speed auto. as for the 4 speed… :roflmao:

Thanks Z - hard to disagree with you but a DSG isnt worth $16K extra :D

Anyway seems they have "run out" of all the run out models lol so now Im looking at the Allure if I want the options I have chosen (sunroof & leather).

BTW those who think leather is no good in the tropics - it's a 50/50 thing. Yeah it may be hotter than cloth but it also cools far quicker and it doesnt keep water like cloth (esp when the monsoon comes). So that means less mould :)

Also its great for kids I have found - spill something it's a quick wipe. Spill a milkshake here and I can tell you it's weeks worth of stench :cry:

The diesels are NOT BMW related in any way shape or form. They are a Ford partnership (the same engine is in the new Focus and current Mondeo).

The 1.6 EP6 family of petrol engines are co-developed with BMW.

That is what I said - the 1.6l petrol is BMW developed and is the same engine in the new Mini and its great. I preferred it to the diesel.:)

Has anyone driven the 308 with the new EGC box? From what I read on overseas forums, they rate this highly as opposed to the previous box which was problematic?
We've got an 09 model with the ECG box. Brilliant bit of kit if you use the flappy paddles and use the accelerator like you would a manual in conjunction with hitting the paddle. The shifts from 1 to 2 and to a lesser extent 2 to 3 have a bit of a noticeable "off power" moment if you run it in "A" for Auto. I've driven a couple of Series 5 Golfs with the DSG box and the 308's is no worse (and gets confused less). Fuel economy is also pretty good with the 1.6 diesel.

Has played up once (idled roughly in "A") in the 18 months we've had the car but re-programming (with an update) seems to have fixed the issue.

New Ford Focus is another option. They are available with the 2L diesel (PSA/Ford unit like the 308) and 6 speed Powershift gearbox (twin clutch auto like the DSG) in the top (Titanium) spec. Doesn't look too bad in the flesh either.

Hey Troy - yeah I test drive one of them today. Goes well but the dash is a little overstated - the Peugeots is far superior in terms of quality and lines. The Fords looks like something out of star trek :) and I love my gadgets :)

Also finding it hard to get over that awesome sunroof. I realise it's only one thing but......

Re: the VW's - the lower models are only average for their resales. The higher specs - the GTD & GTi are of course better but they also are much more $$ for base models.

It's the old issue of weighing up performance; ride; interior; exterior; options and $.

The VW's obv do very well on the performance & ride but they are pretty conservative on the interior and all options cost mega $$ (i.e. leather alone $3K; bixennon lights another $2.5K; sunroof another $2K). All up I calc'ed the options that the 308 allure provides for $36K against a Golf GTD / GTi with options - and they were well over $50K (the GTi kicking $55K which is then in the VW Golf R territory!).

The 308 is slower in the 0 - 100 but I really dont care about getting to 100km/h a second or 2 faster, seriously. Fuel economy is same as is power on the GTD and with a chip you can get 154kw and 450nm out the 308 diesel - thats superb and better than a chipped GTD.

We've got an 09 model with the ECG box. Brilliant bit of kit if you use the flappy paddles and use the accelerator like you would a manual in conjunction with hitting the paddle. The shifts from 1 to 2 and to a lesser extent 2 to 3 have a bit of a noticeable "off power" moment if you run it in "A" for Auto. I've driven a couple of Series 5 Golfs with the DSG box and the 308's is no worse (and gets confused less). Fuel economy is also pretty good with the 1.6 diesel.

Has played up once (idled roughly in "A") in the 18 months we've had the car but re-programming (with an update) seems to have fixed the issue.

Thanks 2353 - the EGC is only on the e-hdi isnt it?

We have a new Focus at work (not sure of spec but probably basic model) and inside it feels cheap.especially around door fittings/trim. Radio module finished in plastic that shows everyone's fingerprints.
Insists on waiting before cranking over, even when engine has just been turned off... must be something re the glow plugs. not a patch on my 308!
It's also strangled by slow acting auto tranny

And dealer delivery by ford dealer was pathethic!
Plastic panel that sits on top of engine was loose. Could only partially fix it as one rubber was missing.
When front seats are back a bit you have the greasy seat runners exposed.. and
it has a windscreen crack just below the fuel economy sticker. Came from the dealer like that!
When boss queried it was told that 'can be a problem with them'.

This dealer also had mixed up the plates when we got our Falcon ute from them. Plates didnt match the rego label.

Summary... crap car from a crap dealer

Decca

We have a new Focus at work (not sure of spec but probably basic model) and inside it feels cheap.especially around door fittings/trim. Radio module finished in plastic that shows everyone's fingerprints.
Insists on waiting before cranking over, even when engine has just been turned off... must be something re the glow plugs. not a patch on my 308!
It's also strangled by slow acting auto tranny

And dealer delivery by ford dealer was pathethic!
Plastic panel that sits on top of engine was loose. Could only partially fix it as one rubber was missing.
When front seats are back a bit you have the greasy seat runners exposed.. and
it has a windscreen crack just below the fuel economy sticker. Came from the dealer like that!
When boss queried it was told that 'can be a problem with them'.

This dealer also had mixed up the plates when we got our Falcon ute from them. Plates didnt match the rego label.

Summary... crap car from a crap dealer

Decca

Hey Decca :)

Yeah have read similar reviews about the base model Focus. I test drove the titanium and I was impressed though the dash is over-the-top.

Last edited: