The future of the Automobile...

Probably could have worked to the advantage of consumers ONLY if the whole power system was local community owned (State or Federal) including the poles and wire component of the system and only manipulated by the medium of taxation supposedly for the good of all.:rolleyes:
Ken:)

This is puzzling me a lot :(
We did have that situation, so what brought privatization about? Huge government debt? Internal industrial inefficiencies? Etc. or a combination of the above?
Stands to reason, if a corporation buys a state owned asset it is their aim to make a profit out of it - and we all know who pays.
It's another means of wealth transfer.

AFAIR the company that owned said power station declared it uneconomical due to it's aging equipment and massive re-investment costs. I don't recall them suggesting it be replaced by a nuclear plant but that would have been nice. In the meantime some of the displaced workers will be taken up by the SEA initiative, which along with other industries moving into the area will ensure the Valley stays alive and kicking and together with renewables it will well and truly outlast you and I! :)

Watching the thing closely Kim, it was the imposition of the new royalties almost in lieu of a carbon tax imposed on the plant, that made it uneconomic to continue, and remember at that time the Greens were celebrating the blowing up of the South Australian coal fired back up generation plant, and their Ellen Sandell declared the next major target for the same treatment was to be the Yallourn power plants.

The blackouts and Grid failures and escalating prices plus AEMO reports on the grim position fortunately ruled that out. Far as I can ascertain no one really looked into the replacement situation, but many have pointed out that the present location of the Desalination plant, its ready access to the grid AND the available land, would be ideal for a nuclear power generation plant, perhaps that was the forward thinking of the State authorities of the time (your brilliant mob?) if so I applaud that! Wish they had built it... or are the anti nuclear NIMBY's too powerful in Victoriastan.

Watching the thing closely Kim, it was the imposition of the new royalties almost in lieu of a carbon tax imposed on the plant, that made it uneconomic to continue, and remember at that time the Greens were celebrating the blowing up of the South Australian coal fired back up generation plant, and their Ellen Sandell declared the next major target for the same treatment was to be the Yallourn power plants.

The blackouts and Grid failures and escalating prices plus AEMO reports on the grim position fortunately ruled that out. Far as I can ascertain no one really looked into the replacement situation, but many have pointed out that the present location of the Desalination plant, its ready access to the grid AND the available land, would be ideal for a nuclear power generation plant, perhaps that was the forward thinking of the State authorities of the time (your brilliant mob?) if so I applaud that! Wish they had built it... or are the anti nuclear NIMBY's too powerful in Victoriastan.

The following describes exactly "who's lot" organised the destruction of the SEC: https://www.smh.com.au/opinion/the-shocking-truth-about-the-privatisation-of-power-20131108-2x76f.html

The electricity privatisation exceeded government expectations, delivering more than $20 billion to a cash-strapped state, with promises that in private hands, the delivery of electricity would be better and cheaper than the service provided by the old state-owned behemoth.
Perhaps one element? What about the port, desal.....

Advertisement

Not quite correct:
Whilst the rest of Australia sits on it's hands, it's most forward thinking state has bitten the bullet. Having already seen the closing of one of Australia's dirtiest power stations, Victoria is to make the Latrobe Valley an electric vehicle manufacturing hub, using technology developed and proved by SEA in Dandenong.

SEA-Drive ? ? SEA Electric

Electric cars power job boost | Latrobe Valley Express

That is a good step in the right direction.

I do see however they are only producing commercial vehicles. What about passenger vehicles? That surely must be a strong market.

Also, I do hope that they will export some of the production, otherwise we'll end up subsidising a lazy loss making factory just to see profits going overseas like we did with Holden (and the rest of the car manufacturing industry).

That is a good step in the right direction.

I do see however they are only producing commercial vehicles. What about passenger vehicles? That surely must be a strong market.

Also, I do hope that they will export some of the production, otherwise we'll end up subsidising a lazy loss making factory just to see profits going overseas like we did with Holden (and the rest of the car manufacturing industry).

You'd think that metro delivery vehicles would be the first target of any 'go electric' push. They have been used in industrial London since they were invented, and the fact that they are quiet and pollution free (as of themselves) is a bonus for any crowded metropolitan environment. I'm thinking that once they (SEA) get up to speed they will be converting regular cars as well. It's all 'Bolt-On' stuff........

Everyone should buy electric cars.
While every car is imported, and all our petrol is imported, one thing for sure is that we won't be importing electricity.
We have plenty of coal, uranium, sun, and wind so we can reduce our dependence on imported oil by driving electric vehicles.
Just think that every time you recharge you're fill up with good Aussie electricity and if you're lucky enough, it might be electricity that you yourself generated with your solar panels. What could be more satisfying than that!

I think a better propellant would be bullshit. We seem to have an abundance it AND we could actually end up with politicians who are not only self propelled but they also add to the general wellbeing of the population.

John

I think a better propellant would be bullshit. We seem to have an abundance it AND we could actually end up with politicians who are not only self propelled but they also add to the general wellbeing of the population.

John

True but I don't think the technology exists yet to turn bullshit into electricity.
If it did exist there would be enough power generated in Canberra to not only power the whole of the country but we could export it to our near neighbors.

Gone full circle, back to C.R.A.P. propulsion systems? Post 6

John

This seems to have gone back to my original suggestion way back in post 6,

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/froggy-chat/30713-future-automobile.html#post287220

so it seems the future is still very much in the unknown future.:D

Ken:rolleyes: