The DS Appreciation Thread

BEIGE ALBATROS AC 087 (1971-1973)

Times change, this colour used to worry me but 40 years on I think it looks great...

..."Madge did you leave the car in gear you know the handbrake won't hold on that slope?"

ba3.jpg

ba5.jpg

http://www.nuancierds.fr/AC 087 Beige Albatros.htm

Cheers
Chris
Unfortunately it was not necessarily the lack of handbrake application alone. REAL ( BVH ) DSs would lose pressure when parked, thus losing gear control, and the car could roll easily. That happened in the reverse direction at Mission Beach in 1973 when a NEW silver and tan leather Pallas went over a cliff backwards as the luggage was being removed from the car.... hydraulic pressure used up and the foot brake not applied hard enough and she slipped..that car had just made its maiden voyage up from Adelaide, I saw it loaded on a train for dispatch south....oh what a shame. The locals thought it was my DS. The landing was so violent the roof popped, ( from the rear trumpets outwards ) , and the frame was completely out of square. this car while wearing Pallas wheel trims is not ( note the door trims ), but could have still been a BVH .. what was Madge's preference ?

Unfortunately it was not necessarily the lack of handbrake application alone. REAL ( BVH ) DSs would lose pressure when parked, thus losing gear control, and the car could roll easily. That happened in the reverse direction at Mission Beach in 1973 when a NEW silver and tan leather Pallas went over a cliff backwards as the luggage was being removed from the car.... hydraulic pressure used up and the foot brake not applied hard enough and she slipped..that car had just made its maiden voyage up from Adelaide, I saw it loaded on a train for dispatch south....oh what a shame. The locals thought it was my DS. The landing was so violent the roof popped, ( from the rear trumpets outwards ) , and the frame was completely out of square. this car while wearing Pallas wheel trims is not ( note the door trims ), but could have still been a BVH .. what was Madge's preference ?

I should point out that the two cars pictured are not one and the same, just reference to Beige Albatross. The damaged car is certainly not a Pallas but as you say could well be BVH.

Your story brings tears to my eyes and reminds me of my greatest car loss which was a '69 BVH destroyed whilst parked outside the front of our house :cry: :cry:

Madge from what I've gleaned in this thread is quite fickle, for the most part she appears to have good taste seen with DS19s the last of the DS automatics and everything in between :confused:

Cheers
Chris

There is a very well known dark blue DS23ie BVH with aircon in Sydney that similar happened too some years ago. It prompted the owner to give the car the full resto it deserved and ever since his DS has been beautiful. It goes damn well to!

2nd front and 3rd Front

A left front wing, in AC120 Gris Ciel Lourd.

To my eye, the 2nd front offers a softer rounded view.

My apologies for the reflections in the image.

NoG2o.jpg

The hue changes with the background and reflective light. Sometimes it looks grey, then blue.

SfF8R.jpg

Last edited:

NoG2o.jpg

The hue changes with the background and reflective light. Sometimes it looks grey, then blue.

SfF8R.jpg

You can tell someone has spent a huge amount of time and effort colour sanding them flat .... there is no orange peal or "urethane wave" in the reflections :) Nicely done! It was a very brave person that colour sanded those round headlight shells, that feature that raised lip through them.

seeya,
Shane L.

Perfect colour choice for a second nose, and quite rare as I understand, only available for the '66 year models?
No need to apologise for the reflections I'm very envious of the finish you have achieved, do I see 'CITROEN' reflecting back at me across that guard, if so that is one tricky shot as the text is not mirrored? - and to think this has come together seriously in the last 6 months, your industry is a credit to you :)

Cheers
Chris

Thanks Chris, the "CITROEN" is no accident.
A slightly different position...

itKTZ.jpg

Thanks Shane, Ferg the painter is old school, Wilkie the fabricator a hot rod professional, both do painstaking preparation and put up with their pedant mate (that'd be me). Paint mixing by another local bloke to the specification of the painter. Paint by DeBeer.

Wilkie worked until lunchtime on Xmas Eve to finish the doors and beat the modified front valance into shape. The four doors and the front valance were delivered to Ferg in the Safari.
Ferg put in big hours to have it finished on Tuesday. He smiled wryly at me when I picked up the front wings and we screwed them to the bed of the flat try I borrowed from the next door neighbour. He said "Rich, if you're happy, then I'm happy".
The sky was dark on the horizon, same colour as the wings, didn't have the camera with me.

It's great to have mates, help and encouragement from folk here too. I nearly gave up on the thing known as FrankenD.

cheers
richo

Last edited:
Richo, you mention a modified front valance. Please explain what you did. I have long considered some internal triangulation inside the front valance to stiffen it may result in more rigid mounting points for the front wings. I consider the rear mounting pegs to be excellent but the front attachments are too flimsy....all in an effort to reduce shake of the turning and self levelling lights.

Richo, you mention a modified front valance. Please explain what you did. I have long considered some internal triangulation inside the front valance to stiffen it may result in more rigid mounting points for the front wings. I consider the rear mounting pegs to be excellent but the front attachments are too flimsy....all in an effort to reduce shake of the turning and self levelling lights.

1966 front valance has had the opening modified to fit the 3rd front type opening and brake ducts. Franken grafting has taken place.
I don't have self leveling headlamps, an option on the 1966 Pallas.
1966 DS21 front valance impossible to procure, the fabricator performed the graft, piously and peerlessly.

Creating FrankenD has not been without its challenges.

Last edited:

NoG2o.jpg

SfF8R.jpg

Is my eye picking up eases chair .

I have been lucky enough to see this wing and the other panels "in the flesh" the quality of the work is amazing and I have do doubt that FrankenD is going to be one stunning car. But Richo I dont see Cobber in the pic?

Last edited:
Eames my good fellow, Eames. Yes. Good eye.

Eames is all a bit too obvious for me.
If your gonna have a bit of plywood and call it furniture its got to be a Roger McLay Cone Chair.:approve:

Sorry Richo, for me that battle-ship-grey colour looks like so many dowdy Standard Vanguards (waiting in the hot carpark of a suburban bowling club).:eek:

As they say, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".:D

If your gonna have a bit of plywood and call it furniture its got to be a Roger McLay Cone Chair.:approve:

Sorry Richo, for me that battle-ship-grey colour looks like so many dowdy Standard Vanguards (waiting in the hot carpark of a suburban bowling club).:eek:

As they say, "If you've got nothing nice to say. . .

. . . the internet is the place to say it!" :clown: :joker:

Cheers
Chris

Richo,

can't wait to see it in the flesh. I think it's an excellent colour choice, understated yet refined. The change in hue depending on the light adding to its appeal. Unlike some of the vulgur colour choices out there it will stand the test of time.

Matthew :)

Yes beauty is in the eye of the beholder....there's no accounting for taste either..:wink2:

w7WXE.png

I know which one I'd rather behold...

tO7W9.png

As design icons go, it's one of my faves..along with these..

8nRn9.png

CtbMv.png

Matthew :)

Last edited:
Richo,

The paintwork looks spectacular, great depth and lustre, a fine choice. Good luck with the blitz on FrankenD and thanks for all the recent help.

Cheers, Leconte

Thanks Leconte, for your kind comments.
I'm pleased to help you avoid some pitfalls and look forward to further helping your ID to the up and running stage.

cheers,
richo

Are you sure that's not actually an EJ colour???
That is going to look good in the bowlo carpark and will really upstage those Standards!