The 195/55R15 Tyre Thread

For $140, I'm sold.:approve:

I just returned from a spirited drive around the race track, and whilst I was too cautious in this atrocious weather to really let loose with brand new rubber and unknow front/rear ballance, I can say from what risks i did take these tyres are not bad.
I'll reserve judgement for how good they are until I have put a few Km on them, but for $140...jeez thats possibly the cheapest tyre I have ever bought.

Jo

I did say they were probably the best bang for your buck ;) They are certainly not the best tyres I've had performance wise, but they are certainly the best value! and the tyres I've had that *are* better have long since gone the way of the dodo. I think you will like them in the dry :) I'm not sure about them in the wet. I've been a lot more conservative after a lose on Mt Victoria about 10 years ago, hitting some oil on a wet road.

Tony.

lies lies lies

I did say they were probably the best bang for your buck ;) They are certainly not the best tyres I've had performance wise, but they are certainly the best value! and the tyres I've had that *are* better have long since gone the way of the dodo. I think you will like them in the dry :) I'm not sure about them in the wet. I've been a lot more conservative after a lose on Mt Victoria about 10 years ago, hitting some oil on a wet road.

Tony.

One thing is interesting about the tyre
I couldn't help notice its a big tyre for 195.....:wink2:

Maybe i need to get a new 'tyre sized' rule, but no mater how I tried i could not get it to measure 195.
I'm running 6.5 wide rims (+0.5 over spec) so my measure gave me 210mm (at night).

A quick check on the net found a tyre size chart that is not full of BS, A surth erfrican site.

http://www.bridgestone.co.za/products/passenger_tyres/potenza/potenza_adrenalin_re002

Our AU website says for a 195/55/15 tyre the width is....195.....Ah der, I can read a sidewall too.:rolleyes:

I hate the way companies who have the details, dumb down their websites.
If someone wants more detailed info than is on the sidewall (lies lies lies) the australian publicity dept just dont provide it anymore.

Jo

I assume you are talking about the footprint? I noticed that straight away when I went from pirelli P6000's (the absolute worst tyres I've ever owned, well maybe not quite as bad as the firestones I had on my morris) to the potenza S02's. The Potenza S02's were much wider on the road. The difference? straight sidewalls, I mean literally no bulge, the pireli's tapered back in dramatically. The adrenalins are similar to the S02's.

That is interesting though that they spec them as 201mm on the link you provided but the 205's range from 206mm to 217mm depending on diameter and profile... weird...

Tony.

I assume you are talking about the footprint?
Tony.

No.
footprint is a bit hard for me to measure at night with any accuracy, but it seems to be about 185 ish.
I'm talking maximum width at the sidewall, the way tyre width is supposed to be measured.

That is interesting though that they spec them as 201mm on the link you provided but the 205's range from 206mm to 217mm depending on diameter and profile... weird...
Not weird, totaly normal.

I have always measured my tyres for a laugh, and never have I had ones that match the sidewall marking.

jo

One thing is interesting about the tyre
I couldn't help notice its a big tyre for 195.....:wink2:

Maybe i need to get a new 'tyre sized' rule, but no mater how I tried i could not get it to measure 195.
I'm running 6.5 wide rims (+0.5 over spec) so my measure gave me 210mm (at night).

A quick check on the net found a tyre size chart that is not full of BS, A surth erfrican site.

http://www.bridgestone.co.za/products/passenger_tyres/potenza/potenza_adrenalin_re002

Our AU website says for a 195/55/15 tyre the width is....195.....Ah der, I can read a sidewall too.:rolleyes:

I hate the way companies who have the details, dumb down their websites.
If someone wants more detailed info than is on the sidewall (lies lies lies) the australian publicity dept just dont provide it anymore.

Jo

The actual section width is allowed to vary by +/- 4%.

Since the nominal width of a 195/55 R15 tyre measured on a 6.0 J rim is 201 mm (don't ask, I've no idea why), a variance of 4% means it can be anywhere from 194 mm to 209 mm (again, as measured on a 6.0 J rim).

A general rule is to add or subtract 5 mm for every half inch change from the measuring rim width. Thus, if the table on the Bridgestone website is actually accurate (is it really 201 mm, or did they just quote the design manual?), the width of a RE002 tyre in a 195/55 R15 size and measured on a 6.5 J rim should be approx. 206 mm.

As always, YMMV. :crazy:

The actual section width is allowed to vary by +/- 4%.

Since the nominal width of a 195/55 R15 tyre measured on a 6.0 J rim is 201 mm (don't ask, I've no idea why), a variance of 4% means it can be anywhere from 194 mm to 209 mm (again, as measured on a 6.0 J rim).

A general rule is to add or subtract 5 mm for every half inch change from the measuring rim width. Thus, if the table on the Bridgestone website is actually accurate (is it really 201 mm, or did they just quote the design manual?), the width of a RE002 tyre in a 195/55 R15 size and measured on a 6.5 J rim should be approx. 206 mm.

As always, YMMV. :crazy:

Thanks for that info.

Umm...what does YMMV mean????

Jo

just a quick question we have an s16 on standard 15" rims and my son would love to put some larger rims on it whats the thoughts on this because im not sure it will be possible i can hardly get my hand in there as it is , im a great beliver in that peugeot spend millions on handling and setting up the cars for someone to go to the local "Kmart bob tyre repairs" shop and totally stuff handling ride comfort etc etc. however he has some cash and is very keen, for some 17 spoked jobbys on rubber band tread. your comments are appreciated

Thanks
steve

just a quick question we have an s16 on standard 15" rims and my son would love to put some larger rims on it whats the thoughts on this because im not sure it will be possible i can hardly get my hand in there as it is , im a great beliver in that peugeot spend millions on handling and setting up the cars for someone to go to the local "Kmart bob tyre repairs" shop and totally stuff handling ride comfort etc etc. however he has some cash and is very keen, for some 17 spoked jobbys on rubber band tread. your comments are appreciated

Thanks
steve

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I had a mate who did what you son wants to do, but it was to a honda integra.

His car slammed over bumps, would not stop or turn well on anything but mirror smooth roads and was a pig to drive.
The weight of his 17inch rims and tyres was huge, so all areas of performance, especial acceleration suffered.
Then there was the increased cost of rubber band tyres....

Jo

Following my request for suggestions for tyres for a 406 SV a few weeks ago, I am still checking out the possibilities.

The Bridgie ER 700 does come in my size (205/60 15), but the RE 002 does not. Reports are generally favourable.

I went to my local Michelin man who was not surprised by the lack of longevity in the C-drives. I did not realise how soft the compound was when I got them.

The Michie discussion swung from Premacy to XM2. This tyre would be suitable for my needs, the sticking point (pun intended) is the size/price combination.

195/60 and 205/65 are common sizes, and go for about $130. Ask for a 205/60 and the price I was quoted was $212. Plenty of tyre threads are littered with explanations and warnings of higher process for uncommon sizes.

So, the question is, for a difference of well over $300 per set, can the size fitted to a 406 SV be compromised to such an extent, either a poofteenth narrower (195 v 205), or a few % (60 v 65) bigger on the rolling circumference?

Chris

thanks for the reply i did the same to one of my cars back in the day and after going over some train lines at 40 km i thought my spine was about to snap especially going from 70s side walls to 50s it was very noticeable to say the least i will convince him to stick to the 15" but a set of speedlines in anthracite i think would look rather good just got to find a nice set at the right price any ideas thanks

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I had a mate who did what you son wants to do, but it was to a honda integra.

His car slammed over bumps, would not stop or turn well on anything but mirror smooth roads and was a pig to drive.
The weight of his 17inch rims and tyres was huge, so all areas of performance, especial acceleration suffered.
Then there was the increased cost of rubber band tyres....

Jo

+ 1

I personally did this when I grabbed a set of 17" wheels from a guy who was practically " giving them away " : )

When I went back to originals I couldn't believe the difference it made and how enjoyable the car was to drive again.....

Following my request for suggestions for tyres for a 406 SV a few weeks ago, I am still checking out the possibilities.

The Bridgie ER 700 does come in my size (205/60 15), but the RE 002 does not. Reports are generally favourable.

I went to my local Michelin man who was not surprised by the lack of longevity in the C-drives. I did not realise how soft the compound was when I got them.

The Michie discussion swung from Premacy to XM2. This tyre would be suitable for my needs, the sticking point (pun intended) is the size/price combination.

195/60 and 205/65 are common sizes, and go for about $130. Ask for a 205/60 and the price I was quoted was $212. Plenty of tyre threads are littered with explanations and warnings of higher process for uncommon sizes.

So, the question is, for a difference of well over $300 per set, can the size fitted to a 406 SV be compromised to such an extent, either a poofteenth narrower (195 v 205), or a few % (60 v 65) bigger on the rolling circumference?

Chris

Look at load rating on the door placard...it may be a factor in deciding which tyre to choose.

Jo

Look at load rating on the door placard...it may be a factor in deciding which tyre to choose.

Jo

To expand on Jo's point:

you will be in legal & insurance trouble unless the load & speed rating of what you fit at least equals what was supplied with it.

Peter

About time I updated this thread with my new tyres. I ended up getting Primacy LC in the 205/60 15 for the 406, as they were only $10 more than the XM2, plus $10 for balancing, from Sam at Harbord Tyres. It's the only place on the northern beaches who has the equipment, and he does a good job.

So that was $220 a corner, plus $125 for 4wheel alignment, from Chateswood Tyre and auto, as recommended by PQ. Tell you in 5000k how that went!

The Primacy are certainly lighter, smoother and quieter than the old worn Cdrives. But then, wouldn't ANY new tyre be lighter and smoother than old worn ones?

In fact, the Cdrives had a funny ending, where they seemed to wear lots, in only 30k km, which prompted me to look for the new ones, then the wear on the Cdrives slowed right down. Apart from the scrubbed TWIs, result of crappy alignment,there was still a bit of life in them, more than I though there would be left when I started this process.

The Primacys do not seem to bite as much as the prev lot. The float around corners, without seeming to dig in. Light, but indirect, car does not track as positively as it did before. Maybe that will change in time.

Have not accurately measured economy, which is their strong selling point, as my shift pattern variations invariably lead to economy pattern variations. They have been to the south coast, which returned 7.8, but I did use Maori overdrive a couple of times.

Chris

......snip.....

So that was $220 a corner, plus $125 for 4wheel alignment, from Chateswood Tyre and auto, as recommended by PQ. Tell you in 5000k how that went!

.....snip...

Chris

Chris,

Did you watch them do the 4 wheel alignment ? What do they adjust on the rear of the 406 ?

Cheers

Justin

Thanks
steve

I share the misgivings of others. However you could consider the so-called "plus one" option. Don't go to 17, go to 16 & then choose a tyre size that is within 4% of the original in terms of turns/mile. A good calculator for this is at

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

As for tyre, the current best bet in my opinion is Goodyear's Eagle F1 Asymetric 2. Good on almost any parameter of performance & especially in the wet. Costs a bit but I always recommend no compromise on tyres - & one can't always just buy big brands; I wouldn't fit Michelin's XM2 to anything I wanted to go around a wet corner.

cheers! Peter

Chris,

Did you watch them do the 4 wheel alignment ? What do they adjust on the rear of the 406 ?

Considering that we work 3 desks apart, you could have just asked me, this was obviously for the benefit of the vast reading audience.

No I didn't watch, I went to the Bunnings across the road and checked out blokey things like sheds and power tools.

They did however furnish me with a whiz-bang printout of which angle every corner was pointed in. One was 6 degress out, even though the wear looked to be much the same on every tyre.

The rear has a sort of tie-rod (not the roll-bar mount) that is a bit like the end of the steering rack. Where it is bolted to the body it uses a cam on the bolt which gives it some adjustment. Or so I have been reliably informed.

Chris

For $140, I'm sold.:approve:

Jo

Just had those 2 $140 re002 replaced by another set of re002 at......$140 a pop.
The michie PS3 are still hanging on up the rear and show no signs of needing replacement.
PS3......the worlds best FWD REAR tyre. :roflmao:

I would have liked to try the continentals offered on this site at a discount rate, but its a no contest when the local guy can fit these for $140 a tyre including balancing and tyre disposal.

THe unknown quality is a huge factor as if I dont like the tyres, I'll simply take them off and just waste my money.
I know the re002 now and I can handle a little less traction in exchange for the robustness and predictability the tyre offers me at the ragged edge.

Jo.