New 205 build.

A little progress.

Wear is certainly visible on the thrust side of the liners, I couldn't feel anything though. When I get my hands on something to measure, I'll give it a go. What kind of tolerance is acceptable here? Or should I just be ordering some new ones? (such as: http://www.spoox.co.uk/catalog/prod...=1091&osCsid=36313b543420470939e8537a71669dcb)

or 84mm pistons to go with the liners I got from JR?

thrust side
photo%201-2.jpeg

other side
photo%203.jpeg

Last edited:
I'd want to know more about the 84mm liners first. Like why would you have those liners without pistons? New or second hand? Exact bore size?

Spend the extra while its apart if funds allow and build something that you want to. Sometimes a small amount of cash can get some decent gains and make the motor a nicer thing!

No responsibility taken if you end up broke like me, trying to reinvent the wheel..!

Cam

I'd want to know more about the 84mm liners first. Like why would you have those liners without pistons? New or second hand? Exact bore size?

Cant say why JR had them... But JR wasn't 100% on them, but thought they were mi16, so sent them down to me... My ruler measurements are a definite 84mm, still need to get something more accurate to measure them properly. They look like they were used, and then rebored/honed to 84mm.

Spend the extra while its apart if funds allow and build something that you want to. Sometimes a small amount of cash can get some decent gains and make the motor a nicer thing!

No responsibility taken if you end up broke like me, trying to reinvent the wheel..!

Cam

Haha. :). I guess my biggest problem here is that I'm way out of my depth and don't really know what I am/should be doing. My local pug genius will be helping rebuild it in the end (i hope), but he's currently away, and more of a keep it standard kind of guy...

Slowly getting my head around all this. Hopefully will finish pulling apart the bottom end this arvo and have a look at the liners...

Oil control. What I've been using to date is a standard mi16 sump, with PeterT baffle. Tell me if I've got this right: To improve this I should:

Swap oil pump sprocket and to xu10 (26tooth) (purchased)
weld a windage tray into the sump spacer. (peterT)
Use an 8v DFZ sump, and baffle it. (anyone have a sump they'd like to sell?) or is an si sump the same?
extend the oil pump pickup. (peterT)

Last edited:
Exisiting liner wear:
1: 2.5 thou
2: 2 thou
3: 2 thou
4: 2.5 thou

Should I be getting these re-honed or spending ~£400 on new liners (hiflow heads or spoox)?

Given standard is 1.5 max., I think they're well past it. Fine for a race car where you can tolerate a bit of blow-by.

Don't go near spoox. Have you tried a local supplier? I bought from QEP ex uk who are hiflow now I think and we're much cheaper about 4 years ago. Ask on the 205 forum where people are buying them from? Otherwise are you able to have yours bored to the pistons JR is selling?

Cam

The block looks pretty ok as far as corrosion. A little work to do under the liners, but nothing major.
image%202.jpeg

image_3.jpeg

There is however, a small amount of corrosion on the top of the block. Do I need to get this filled? or do I just ignore it?
image_5.jpeg

Given standard is 1.5 max., I think they're well past it. Fine for a race car where you can tolerate a bit of blow-by.
Thanks Peter.

Don't go near spoox. Have you tried a local supplier? I bought from QEP ex uk who are hiflow now I think and we're much cheaper about 4 years ago. Ask on the 205 forum where people are buying them from? Otherwise are you able to have yours bored to the pistons JR is selling?
Cam

I haven't spoken to anyone locally... the suppliers I've found are
Hi-flow heads - two options: £400 and "budget" £180 - I've inquired as to the difference.
Westwood (http://www.westwoodcylinderliners.co.uk/) - "ductile liners" £400
and spoox.

QEP couldn't help, and I dont think pug1off sell them anymore.

Unless JR is selling pistons that I don't know about, you might be confused with the 84mm liners he sent me. I think they must have originally been 8v liners, they don't have the "fins" on the outside, so I'm not sure they'd necessarily be suitable if I bought 84mm pistons instead.

Alternatively I could rebore my liners to 83.5mm and buy bigger pistons? (http://www.performanceenginecomponents.com/products/product.asp?id=250344)

Last edited:
I'm hoping the smoke is just the result of sitting for a while. Should know fairly soon.

Another little thing... My rear wheels seem to be sitting back further than they should. I'm trying to remember if there is anything in the mounts I could have put the wrong way round?

Hi Rohan, car looks great mate.

Reading through your thread though I noticed this post. Have you had a chance to have a look at your mounts yet? Reason I ask is that I'm about to fit solid mounts to my car. Haven't done it yet but have a look at this pic - the wheels are quite a long way back in the arch already.

My car has had a beam rebuild (before my ownership), maybe it's mounts are the wrong way around too? Or are they all like this?

WP_000444.jpg

Pat

Hey Pat. Certainly looks like mine did. I turned the mounts around and it fixed it up... Having trouble picturing which part/s was the wrong way round though. I think the bracket that attaches to the rubber/poly bushes.

Thanks Rohan - I never would have picked this up if I hadn't read your thread, thanks!

Search for "cometic" by author "sweetbadger" in the 205 forum. Part number is listed there.

Get the top of the block TIG'd, then deck to confirm liner height.

So, having seen the quads and haltech for sale on here, I'm wondering if I should be considering spending the extra cash. I'm currently at the point where I've got all the bits and I'm about to start building the motor... So I've got new liners, uk spec pistons, petert stage 1 cam, thin cometic gasket, new conrod bolts, new bearings, the head has been serviced and new stem seals fitted, and moving parts have been balanced. From what I understand, this should put me at the limit of the injectors.

Now correct me where I'm wrong. The quads and haltech would clean up my engine bay, make a beautiful sound, and give me control over the engine mapping, which with my current setup, shouldn't be a problem. Would I also need to replace the injectors to get any great benefit in performance? And presumably, even though I would have control over the mapping, I wouldn't gain anything unless I had more aggressive cams?

Thoughts/comments appreciated!!!

Awesome idea :)

Only possible thing to worry about in my mind is whether they are legal I guess.

The sound would be worth it alone.