New 205 build.

Things are getting closer...slowly :) Wiring has been tidied significantly and I've got the new brakes (306XSI 266mm) sorted and fitted.

Starting to think about the exhaust. I'd like to get it replaced as soon as its back on the road (before I get it dyno'd and tune adjusted).
My searches seem to suggest:
2.25" with Hi-flow cat, 18" spiral resonator and triple flow 2.25" muffler with 2" tip.

I'm hoping it'll be quietish, without drone on the hwy. Any thoughts?

yep...that sounds about right. If you want to quieten down further you can always get them to turn the end tip down towards the road.
Are you going stainless all through ?

You may be surprised by the small difference :}
My recent one was just just $250 more. I have a stainless straight through back box too for sale. From memory it is 2.25 inch in and out. It was on PIG1 originally. $70

Things are getting closer...slowly :) Wiring has been tidied significantly and I've got the new brakes (306XSI 266mm) sorted and fitted.

Starting to think about the exhaust. I'd like to get it replaced as soon as its back on the road (before I get it dyno'd and tune adjusted).
My searches seem to suggest:
2.25" with Hi-flow cat, 18" spiral resonator and triple flow 2.25" muffler with 2" tip.

I'm hoping it'll be quietish, without drone on the hwy. Any thoughts?

Sounds about right to me too. When I did my conversion, I started out with 2.25, high flow cat, resonator and the biggest 2.25 muffler that would fit at the back and 2.25 tip. This was too loud and droned so I ended up adding another resonator and getting a higher quality back muffler and that made all the difference. A good healthy note, not too loud and minimal droning on the hwy - it's no cruising car though!!

In my experience you definitely get what you pay for - don't bother with stainless but spend some extra $$$ on the rear muffler - it's worth it.

Pat

Don't think I'll bother with stainless... Stuff doesn't rust much here in Canberra.
Thanks for the suggestions. 2.25" with good mufflers/resonators sounds like the go.

I've got the wiring all sorted apart from the coils. I've got LS1 coils, and I've found a few different opinions on how they should be wired.

From another site (Megasquirt-3 MS3 Ignition - LS1 (24X)).
ls1coil.gif

Some pages say there is no need for separate grounds at both the computer and block. I assume the reason for the ground at computer is to keep a clean signal? Any opinions/experiences here?

I only need to use two outputs for the ignition signals for cylinders 1&4 and 2&3. Is there any reason not to run single wires split into 4 for the other connections. IE. One 12v wire from ignition, split in the engine bay, to supply the 4 coils, One for the GRND from computer etc? How many amps do the coils draw?

All the ground connections for the Megasquirt should go to the one spot on the block, you end up with a fair few wires at the one point, there are about 6 coming out of the MS alone.

Don't think I'll bother with stainless... Stuff doesn't rust much here in Canberra.
Thanks for the suggestions. 2.25" with good mufflers/resonators sounds like the go.

I've got the wiring all sorted apart from the coils. I've got LS1 coils, and I've found a few different opinions on how they should be wired.

From another site (Megasquirt-3 MS3 Ignition - LS1 (24X)).
ls1coil.gif

Some pages say there is no need for separate grounds at both the computer and block. I assume the reason for the ground at computer is to keep a clean signal? Any opinions/experiences here?

I only need to use two outputs for the ignition signals for cylinders 1&4 and 2&3. Is there any reason not to run single wires split into 4 for the other connections. IE. One 12v wire from ignition, split in the engine bay, to supply the 4 coils, One for the GRND from computer etc? How many amps do the coils draw?

I join A & B together and ground as one. I don't use a capacitor. I run a big fat +12V wire up to the coils and then split into four.

All the ground connections for the Megasquirt should go to the one spot on the block, you end up with a fair few wires at the one point, there are about 6 coming out of the MS alone.

I join A & B together and ground as one. I don't use a capacitor. I run a big fat +12V wire up to the coils and then split into four.

Thanks guys. I'll run with some decent gauge wire and take both gnds to the block.
:cheers:

New question. Anyone know which accessories belt I need to run without an AC compressor?

I'm guessing you're asking about belt length having removed the ac?

I took a piece of string, ran it around the intended path of new system with no ac or pas, marked length, then took to friendly local auto parts shop and asked for a "v belt this long please" and 5 mins later was on my way.

New question. Anyone know which accessories belt I need to run without an AC compressor?

I use 4PKx690 from memory. Start with that anyway, keep your docket and exchange if necessary. It's hard to get 5PK in that length and the 4PK never slips.

My local ripco didn't have 4pk690, but had 5pk690 at the special price of 39.99.

I'll report back after I've checked it in the car.

You must be close now mate. Sorting out drive belts is such a nice easy thing compared to other mods!!

You must be close now mate. Sorting out drive belts is such a nice easy thing compared to other mods!!

Still a bit to do but it's definitely getting there. :)

5pk690 was too short, I'll try something around 720 next...

5pk690 was too short, I'll try something around 720 next...

Ended up using 5pk700.

Car still isn't running perfectly, but should be getting there soon.

Had the new exhaust fitted. Initial feeling is that it is far too loud!!! I think it'll be going back for improvements.

The exhaust man didn't want to fit a triple flow rear muffler, - so I let him do what wanted to keep him onside. It might be a little of 'i told you so' when I take it back... He has done a nice neat job though!

20140915-_DSC2412.jpg

Last edited:
Getting there! My exhaust started out like this and was too loud. I ended up with a second hotdog directly behind the first and a better quality rear muffler and it sounds sweet now.

Cant hear your exhaust over your inlet wwwwrrrrraaaaaappp!

Looks good. First step is always to make the tailpipe diameter smaller if it's too loud.

Looks like a 2 1/2 pipe. Get a bigger back box. Plenty of room for it if you go for a emergency spare from a c5 cit. Mine is huge and is quiet as with no drone.

Via the aussiefrogs App