Graham Can we have a Megasquirt update

GRAHAM WALLIS said:
I fitted it to a 505 GTI motor so the manifold and injector rail was already done.
It goes better than any GTI I've driven before, hitting 7000 and then valve bounce very quickly. You're very lucky to see 6000 in the STI and while the GTI may get to 7000 eventually I doubt that you'd reach the valve bounce point.
Why not use an SLI manifold, multi point has to be better, although I can see the rational if you don't have a 4 port head.

Graham
I must get me one of those SLI manifolds if I definatly decide to go the megasquirt route. Yes I do have the 4 port head, and as was pointed out to me I'll have to investigate as to whether it has the provisions for the mech injection blocked off.

HONG KONG PUGGY said:
suggestion of the falcon twin t/b sounded good on the weber manifold.

I checked out a Falcon throttle body for myself the other day and it turns out the stud pattern is slightly larger (approx 100x56mm as opposed to approx 95x48mm for the Weber).

Dave

davemcbean said:
I checked out a Falcon throttle body for myself the other day and it turns out the stud pattern is slightly larger (approx 100x56mm as opposed to approx 95x48mm for the Weber).

Dave
Oh well will have to go with the SLI fuel rail then. Should be able to aquire one when I need it.

HONG KONG PUGGY said:
Oh well will have to go with the SLI fuel rail then. Should be able to aquire one when I need it.

The SLI doesn't have a fuel rail being K Jetronic. Best to use Nissan Injectors which can be mounted without a rail and then run rubber hose.
Graham

GRAHAM WALLIS said:
The SLI doesn't have a fuel rail being K Jetronic. Best to use Nissan Injectors which can be mounted without a rail and then run rubber hose.
Graham
Oh oK, the SLI manifold was what I need then, and the Nisan Injectors. I feel a little more research is required! :trouslap:
Chris.

GRAHAM WALLIS said:
Graham

do i take it these nissan injectors would also fit in a PRV head ?

if so it might be a project down the road sometime for me when i get around to building the next engine seeing as i will stick with odd fires

pugrambo said:
do i take it these nissan injectors would also fit in a PRV head ?

if so it might be a project down the road sometime for me when i get around to building the next engine seeing as i will stick with odd fires

They won't fit straight in, will need a bit of machine shop work, but at least they don't need to be held in by the fuel rail.
RWD Pintaras and Gazelles are the ones I was looking at.
Graham

GRAHAM WALLIS said:
They won't fit straight in, will need a bit of machine shop work, but at least they don't need to be held in by the fuel rail.
RWD Pintaras and Gazelles are the ones I was looking at.
Graham

Also injectors from an RB30E as used in Vl Commodore are suitable- cheap and reliable, plenty of performnance options too.

Farmerdave

Graham,

Can i inquire as to where you got the megasquirt components from? on the megasquirt site, they mention lots of bits and pieces, i assume in us dollars, but not where to source them from...

also, anyone know anything about the megaspark? will be looking down this road when i do the conversion...

regards
Janek

Janek said:
Graham,

Can i inquire as to where you got the megasquirt components from? on the megasquirt site, they mention lots of bits and pieces, i assume in us dollars, but not where to source them from...

also, anyone know anything about the megaspark? will be looking down this road when i do the conversion...

regards
Janek

I got them from Glenn's Garage. This has two advantages.
1. You get a complete kit of parts, including case.
2.They take Pay Pal.
You'll find the details on the Megasquirt site.
I bought the components for the Stimulator locally from Jaycar and built it up on Matrix Board. This is not strictly neccessary but adds to peace of mind when getting the engine running if you know the ECU is working.
Graham

will look into it...

by making the stimulator on a matrix board, you mean breadboard, correct?

and it cost you 200 AU or us to get the megasquirt?

im aiming to buyh one in about a month... fingers crossed

how does the car perform, and how is its economy? what sort of setup you running? ill be using the std volvo bits for now, ie throttle body, rails and injectors...looks like ill have a fair bit of reading from megasquirt now...

btw, for those interested, my 504 v6 convrsion is going well... old engine is gone, ive "rebuilt" the cut wiring harness, almost ready to give her a blast before i get stuck in the car... anyone have a spare bellhousing by any chance :D

cheers graham
Janek

P.S sorry for going off topic a bit

Janek said:
will look into it...

by making the stimulator on a matrix board, you mean breadboard, correct?

and it cost you 200 AU or us to get the megasquirt?

im aiming to buyh one in about a month... fingers crossed

how does the car perform, and how is its economy? what sort of setup you running? ill be using the std volvo bits for now, ie throttle body, rails and injectors...looks like ill have a fair bit of reading from megasquirt now...

btw, for those interested, my 504 v6 convrsion is going well... old engine is gone, ive "rebuilt" the cut wiring harness, almost ready to give her a blast before i get stuck in the car... anyone have a spare bellhousing by any chance :D

cheers graham
Janek

P.S sorry for going off topic a bit

Matrix board, but I guess it can be referred to as as breadboard!
$200 Aus.
Read my posting on performance and setup (just standard 505 GTI rails and injectors). Have't had a chance to check economy.
Graham

Graham, how easy is it to use existing sensors on a EFI engine (water and air temp, TPS , MAP etc)- or do you have to purchase their sensors for it to work?

And what sort of price do their sensors cost?

MondeoST24 said:
Graham, how easy is it to use existing sensors on a EFI engine (water and air temp, TPS , MAP etc)- or do you have to purchase their sensors for it to work?

And what sort of price do their sensors cost?

The MAP sensor is supplied and fitted to the Printed Circuit Board.
They don't supply any other sensors, they recommend that you get them off cars at the wreckers! Except for the Oxygen Sensor of course.
This is what I did, I used a Daihatstu Charade Air Temp Sensor and a Hyundai TPS. You need to check that the TPS is a potentiometer and not a switch, all cars with an air flow meter will have a switch here. The TPS is calibrated by software. The 4 wire oxygen sensor cost $100 at Bursons.
The Air temp and Water temp sensors need to have the same resistance, usually 2.2k for Bosch equipped cars. To use odd sensors you can change resistor values in the ECU to get the sensor inputs to match.
This is the beauty of the system, it is set up for the home mechanic.

Graham

Ray Bell said:
Does this mean it might be more viable than going the Delco route?

I think so, your'e not mucking around with unknowns, have a look at the information available on the website.
Graham

Does this mean it might be more viable than going the Delco route?

I still think the camira setup is a good starting point for using a Megasquirt system, ie
No AFM so TPS is potentiometer not a switch, is that right Graham??
Bosch injectors (exact ones which are already used on some pugs)
Fuel pressure Regulator.
Basic wiring loom is already made just needs to be modified for the Megasquirt.
Basic Electronic Ignition dizzy.

The only thing it really lacks is an O2 sensor but as previously implied you don't want a used one. And I am unsure about the Air Temp Sensor?

I think it saves running around looking for other parts too much. And is probably a good deal if had cheap enough ie I picked my complete setup up for $47 and that includes everything manifold, ecu (kind of redundant), loom and all sensors, fuel rail, fuel reg, injectors etc......

But I definetly agree that the Megasquirt is a better idea for running the entire system, rather than trying to make a new chip for the Delco.

Jono

Last edited:
i think it would- but not nearly as much as other systems...

i'm placing my order for the megasquirt in a fortnight. will keep anyone whos interested posted as well

Janek said:
i think it would- but not nearly as much as other systems...

i'm placing my order for the megasquirt in a fortnight. will keep anyone whos interested posted as well

I drove round for an hour or two last Saturday and got it close enough that the oxygen sensor was able to correctly adjust the mixture throughout the operating range.
There is special piece of graphics in the tuning software which makes tuning easy.
Graham