For Renault 12 fans

How many manufacturers even then produced a "hot up" manual telling how to set up 12/15/17 for motor sport. .....
Triumph did, for the TR & Spifire ranges - particularly the latter. Which all translated to humble cars of the time using similar motors - Triumph Herald :p your could even get, over the counter, an anti sway bar kit for the Standard 8 & 10 !! but you were still stuck with the tiny drum brakes, so you could make 'em fly, but stopping was another story.....

Bob

My current daily...and sometimes bedroom :LOL:

Attachments

• IMG_50072.jpg
    IMG_50072.jpg
    663.6 KB · Views: 49
I wish I was a little shorter schlitzaugen - then I could sleep without having to be in the fetal position :LOL:

You can always engineer a drop down tailgate (I would definitely look at it because I have the same problem). I love those. Again, one of those immensely useable and versatile things.

And one of the things I love about our Koleos (and the built in rear window shades - who thinks about that kinda thing these days?! Certainly not engineers).

You can always engineer a drop down tailgate (I would definitely look at it because I have the same problem). I love those. Again, one of those immensely useable and versatile things.

And one of the things I love about our Koleos (and the built in rear window shades - who thinks about that kinda thing these days?! Certainly not engineers).
I was thinking of removing the back seat entirely for camping purposes rather than rolling it forward - that would give me a few more inches.
Yes the window shade option is smart. I've gone with some ill fitting, aftermarket suction cup ones. It's either that or tinting and I'm not sure I like tinting on older vehicles - but you need something as it's like driving in a market garden glasshouse in summer! 🥵

Removing the bottom of the back seat is another good idea for single person use. There's a guy on the internets who has converted his Pug 205 to a camper off roader by removing both the rear seat and the front passenger seat.

For the rear windows, I would love some opening option, I am sure someone could help retrofit something like the rear windows on the Pug 205 (and many, many other cars). Or a top hinged arrangement like the 2CV but swinging out the entire rear (third) window.

I was thinking about making my R12 suitable to sleep in for years but have never got around to doing it.

My plan was to remove the back seat entirely and make up a false floor where the back seat would be out of plywood that would go right up to the front seats. I would make this hinged so that you can access to the area below as there would be a huge storage space there where your feet would be if you were using the back seat.would need to fabricate a support but that would be easy enough out of RHS and bolted to the seat belt mounts.

As far as making the rear private for sleeping some black curtains sown up on a basic sowing machine would work. These can easily be installed using hook and eye wire expanding curtain kit available from the Green Shed.

Maybe we should start a new thread about camping out in an R12 or our Frenchies in general

Last edited:
Removing the bottom of the back seat is another good idea for single person use. There's a guy on the internets who has converted his Pug 205 to a camper off roader by removing both the rear seat and the front passenger seat.

For the rear windows, I would love some opening option, I am sure someone could help retrofit something like the rear windows on the Pug 205 (and many, many other cars). Or a top hinged arrangement like the 2CV but swinging out the entire rear (third) window.
I'm not too fussed about the third window not opening - 2nd window wind down was enough to circulate air while sleeping in the back.
I had a Datsun 1000 coupe that had a nice hinged rear window set up - from memory the VW fastback also has a hinged opening...if you wanted to use this idea.

I was thinking about making my R12 suitable to sleep in for years but have never got around to doing it.

My plan was to remove the back seat entirely and make up a false floor where the back seat would be out of plywood that would go right up to the front seats. I would make this hinged so that you can access to the area below as there would be a huge storage space there where your feet would be if you were using the back seat.would need to fabricate a support but that would be easy enough out of RHS and bolted to the seat belt mounts.

As far as making the rear private for sleeping some black curtains sown up on a basic sowing machine would work. These can easily be installed using hook and eye wire expanding curtain kit available from the Green Shed.

Maybe we should start a new thread about camping out in an R12 or our Frenchies in general
Ah memories of my VW Type 3 wagon with stretchy curtain cord. ( Maybe without the Batik purple curtains now though :LOL:) Works well although holes required drilling into body work. Like the idea of hinged plywood floor. Have you ever tried to lay down on the parcel strips in these wagons! 😱

Reactions: COL
Ah memories of my VW Type 3 wagon with stretchy curtain cord. ( Maybe without the Batik purple curtains now though :LOL:) Works well although holes required drilling into body work. Like the idea of hinged plywood floor. Have you ever tried to lay down on the parcel strips in these wagons! 😱
Yer,, not real good, also not good for the knees when kneeling on them. Of course these would need to go as well.

Re the hot up manuals - Leyland did with their ST (special tuning) catalogs as did Datsun with theirs. Their name escapes me, but Nismo comes to mind. I think we used to refer to them as works option.

That is how that guy converted his 205 to a camper.

A swag should be perfect for sleeping on.