Floride R1092 soft top..

The search for a more appropriate Allpaca type fabric as described by Sunroof has begun.

Graham,
If you haven't already check out the offerings from Classic British and German
http://www.prostitch.com.au/default.asp

Their site is clunky, a quick phone call may yield better info and prices. I bought my boot lining (Hardura) from them and found them to be pretty good to deal with, they were happy to send samples before my purchase.

Nice work and well researched, my trust in your skills is building :clown:

Cheers
Chris

Graham,
If you haven't already check out the offerings from Classic British and German
http://www.prostitch.com.au/default.asp

Their site is clunky, a quick phone call may yield better info and prices. I bought my boot lining (Hardura) from them and found them to be pretty good to deal with, they were happy to send samples before my purchase.

Nice work and well researched, my trust in your skills is building :clown:

Cheers
Chris

Hey that's a helpful site Chris,thanks, I'll shoot them an email now..

Mach 1 completed and went surprisingly well and took 16 hours including a lot of head scratching but I am 90% happy with it, so now with lessons learned I start scheming Mach 2

001.jpg

11a.jpg004.jpg003.jpg002.jpg

The window shape has vastly improved from the one shown in post#8 but needs to be shortened about 40mm horizontally and 20 mm vertically and a slight tweek given to the overall window shape.

014.jpg

021.jpg

The main joints in the roof are double stitched at the back, then folded over and glued flat with contact adhesive...I am guessing this is to prevent water dripping in through the needle holes...

030.jpg

I used a lot of staples to hold things together prior to stitching, I don't know if the pros do it like this but it sure works.

Last edited:
Nice work Graham (as usual). I reckon if your Mrs gets wind of plans for Mach 2 she might start planning a trip to the Maldives for that weekend :)

sourced...

I found some suitable hood material at Nolans Yatala it has a nice bone colored underside that is soft like felt.

This was an eye opener as the top shelf material costs $280 per metre and as I need 3 metres I couldn't justify the expence so I went down a few shelves and got the lot including thick uv stabilised thread for $160 all up (fiscal disaster averted).

Now I just have to find time to build mach 2.

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 533
That colour combo should be a nice contrast to the blue paint work. Very classy I think :)

You are a better man than me. I really admire people who do it all themselves. Hope it works out well. Even if it is not perfect I prefer it. While you were at Yatala you should have dropped by.

Graham, i was looking for Renosprites white Floride on carsales, which it aint, but the yellow Floride for $16K is still on there, take a look at the soft top on that. That would of been put on about 6/7 or so years ago, I can't remember if I asked the owner if he got it from europe or he had it made locally but it looks pretty good still.

Mach 2 completed and looks the goods...

The stitching has vastly improved as has the general construction of the hood.

The soft top frame and bows were painted in Dulux 'Quantum FX' polyurethane 2 pac.

The felt-like underside looks and feels soft, gorgeous and a little bit 'chic' just like a Renault should.

The stitching has vastly improved in strength, technique and it's even straight.

attachment.php

A vast improvement in the one I started with...:)

Copy of Picture 093.jpg

Attachments

• 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 848
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 801
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 697
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 715
  • 037.jpg
    037.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 757
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 788
Last edited:
Mach 2 completed and looks the goods...

The stitching has vastly improved as has the general construction of the hood.

The soft top frame and bows were painted in Dulux 'Quantum FX' polyurethane 2 pac.

The felt-like underside looks and feels soft, gorgeous and a little bit 'chic' just like a Renault should.

The stitching has vastly improved in strength, technique and it's even straight.

A vast improvement in the one I started with... :)

Brilliant :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

That lighter interior really looks the goods.
You even managed to find a dry moment to take the shots :cool:

Cheers
Chris

Where did you get the rubbers for the frame, locally, ebay or euro supplier?

Nice work as usual. When the soft top is up you can see into the compartment from where it comes, does the cover go back on to cover it when the hood is up?

Where did you get the rubbers for the frame, locally, ebay or euro supplier?

Nice work as usual. When the soft top is up you can see into the compartment from where it comes, does the cover go back on to cover it when the hood is up?

You've raised an interesting question there john...

The tonneu cover stays clipped around the front and is usally draped back over the seat back and lays down in the storage compartment and does look neat but I would be interested to see how others address the situation.

The rubbers came from Tim Renkens renparts in Holland.

Brilliant :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

That lighter interior really looks the goods.
You even managed to find a dry moment to take the shots :cool:

Cheers
Chris

That soft top looks great 59 Floride.

Thanks Chris and Col,

It was a crash course in soft top design and construction and learning how to sew but I like learning new skills and recording as well as sharing the results for future use by others as well as myself.

It could have easily all gone completely pear shaped and made me look like a right git but I think I got away with it.

You mean headlights?..

I think they are marshal and are a standard convex shape, they were on the vehicle when I purchased it and are as new.