EV alternatives

As Shane has pointed out, the EV pundit lives on "whataboutism".
EV fires are dangerous = "more ICE cars catch on fire".
EVs are heavy = "a dual cab 4WD is heavier".
EVs are expensive = "you can buy an EV for less than than the average new car price".
Using fast charging is as expensive as fossil fuels = "I always charge my EV for "free" at home".
EVs are heavily subsidised = "the fossil fuel industry is heavily subsidised".
Lithium recycling plant fires are concerning = "other factories catch on fire".
And so on.

I'm sure we've all seen the same responses used many times.
None of the answers actually acknowledge or even respond to the issues raised.
They are all "look over there", or "whataboutisms"

EV fires are still dangerous,
EVs are still heavier than an equivelant ICE car,
EVs are still expensive: a Hyundai Kona EV is 75% dearer than an equivelant spec ICE Kona, ditto the MGZS.
Fast charging is still expensive,
EVs are heavily subsidised,
I'm sure if you live near a battery recycling plant or a big battery, you would still find it concerning when its on fire, regardless of how many oil wells are burning around the world at the time.

remember how functional these things are .... can't wait for the duel cab ute :)

tesla2.jpg

Unless you fit the "range extender" additional battery which occupies approx one third of load space 😳
Is there something special about these things? I've never read anything on them. But it seems weird to put a ute into production that can't really carry a load or tow anything 🤔 Does it have a use its designed for I'm just not aware of ?

seeya,
Shane L.

Is there something special about these things? I've never read anything on them. But it seems weird to put a ute into production that can't really carry a load or tow anything 🤔 Does it have a use its designed for I'm just not aware of ?

seeya,
Shane L.
No, the cybertruck is a physical manifestation of musks ego/mental state.

It a piece of shit and a huge waste of resources.

seeya,
Shane L.
Americans seem to love big ostentatious trucks with less carrying capacity than a Triton!
Sadly it will probably sell a significant numbers in Australia too 😞

No, the cybertruck is a physical manifestation of musks ego/mental state.

It a piece of shit and a huge waste of resources.
that's weird, why build something that doesn't have a designed use? They could have made it a big ugly box and created a functional 'van for city use. think transit/kombi van size "box" on wheels.

I've just come home to find a BYD ATTO in our neighbours parking spot. We live in a small block of 4, built in the 60's . I got told by an electrician last month I can't have an electric oven cause our buildings power can't support it. How the bloody hell are they going to charge their new car? There's no power to the carport either.

that's weird, why build something that doesn't have a designed use? They could have made it a big ugly box and created a functional 'van for city use. think transit/kombi van size "box" on wheels.
Apparently one of musks kids drew the truck and said why don't the future cars look like this. Or something. So he said build it. Much to the dismay of his engineering team.

There is some innovative features that will be patented no doubt. Apparently the full drive by wire system works well.

I can't imagine they could sell it here, surely wouldn't pass pedestrian crash regulations?

seeya,
Shane L.
It's rated to tow something like 11,000 lbs, but it's range falls into an abyss.
I saw a graph that Tesla had drawn up on the Cybertruck's range towing various weights.
At its maximum rated towing weight, its range was 1/4 of it's non towing range.

PS, the Cybertruck is already a 4 door, 5 seater ute.

There is some innovative features that will be patented no doubt. Apparently the full drive by wire system works well.
The fly by wire steering is said to have triple redundancy built in for safety reasons.

I saw a video yesterday of one that had done only a few miles, and it was stranded the side of the road.
The dash display read "CRITICAL STEERING ERROR" in bright red letters.

Does that mean the brand new truck just had a triple steering failure?🤔

I can't imagine they could sell it here, surely wouldn't pass pedestrian crash regulations?
A Tesla owner told me the other day that the 'Cyber Truck" does not meet Australian regulations, not likely to be sold here 🤷‍♂️

That porky about it being more efficient to burn diesel in a generator to charge an EV, than it is to burn it in an ICE vehicle, is still doing the rounds.
Like him or not, John Cadogen has just gone into great detail to dispell the myth.

Don't shoot the messenger, as he says at the start, feel free to tell him in the comments where he has got it wrong.

I'd need to search for it, but there was a guy in the US that installed a modified Rotax (?) engine in the boot of his Tesla to run a little generator to extend his range... Ah, here it is...

Anyway, pretty funny. Think he's done a turbo diesel version now

A Tesla owner told me the other day that the 'Cyber Truck" does not meet Australian regulations, not likely to be sold here 🤷‍♂️
I believe under Australian law a "bulletproof" vehicle is not something anyone can just buy and cruise around in without a valid use.
Trucks in the US don't have to comply to pedestrian safety regs like in Aus.
I would hazard a guess that the relevant ADR (90/01) on steering would also have to be satisfied with the absence of a mechanical connection to the wheels, and amended accordingly.

Interesting reading. 4 battery packs and 13 motors. Hopefully some of that was under warranty otherwise he's spent over(guessing )$130000 just on replacements over the years...

Interesting reading. 4 battery packs and 13 motors. Hopefully some of that was under warranty otherwise he's spent over(guessing )$130000 just on replacements over the years...
or buy an aussie falcon ... and it'll probably go the distance with a couple of gearboxes and a head job ....

or buy an aussie falcon ... and it'll probably go the distance with a couple of gearboxes and a head job ....
There's that guy in the US with the P1800 Volvo that did just over 5 million kms before he passed away.
He said the original engine had been rebuilt twice, other than that, it had never needed any other real repairs, and never broken down on him.