DS Cooling

Since the engine cleaning and head gasket change the lamp hasn't turned on yet. Thats why I believe that the whole process worked. I have always the auxilliary fans on and probably the problem solved.

It is easy to forget that France is a hot country in summer, especially in the south. We've never had a French car that overheated if the cooling system was clean and the head gasket OK. The only overheating ever (twice) has been sleeve sealing issues, and perfect when that was fixed.

I’ve had my DS21ie out on the freeway doing 110km/h when the ambient temp is around 40 with no problems. the temp gauge does climb up to the bottom of the red but otherwise the engine just keeps merrily spinning away at 3200rpm. As JohnW said, if the cooling system is working as designed the car won’t overheat. Pottsy, who started this thread, found that messing with the original setup doesn’t necessarily work as you’d think and can actually cause worse overheating than if you’d left it alone.

The only reason not to take a DS out on a hot day is the potential for melting the driver!