306 Electrics

Alan S:
Just a thought, but have you had the voltage regulator checked?

Alan S
.. you read my mind alan... hence why i asked him to do the light test that i wrote above. cheers chris

Alan S:
Just a thought, but have you had the voltage regulator checked?

Alan S
Seems to have earth/charging issues/loose wire stamped all over this problem.

We've never had a flicker from anything on our 306 in 8 years.

JohnW

Thanks all again! Some great help and advice. Hopefully get a chance to check the above suggestions out and if not capable check with Paul as I've never been there and haven't heard a bad word. Is he pricey or reasonable?

Ok Chris/Alan/Others

I checked for the dimming slowly revving above idle. I didn't see any sign of brightning/diming of lights, although I did this in our underground carpark. How noticeable should the lights becoming brighter be? As when I've got the indicator on the brightness/dim 'thing' is clearly visible on the Pug in dash CD deck but not on the interior light or anything else

I TRIED to check the -ve cable from the battery although almost impossible looking above the car into engine bay it seems this is bolted onto the engine block??? not the body of the car.

Tonight I'll try and get underneath the carpet but in meantime any further suggestions much appreciated.

Btw another quirk that happended on the weekend. When I turned my ignition off (with lights on) the warning sound was quite muffled/distorted than the normal sound. Does this fit the symptoms previously mentioned?

sorry to bump this thread as I've had some good hints/suggestions but need some more :)

mm, if yor interior lights didn't dimm, when at idle then i think its fair to say that your altenator/regulator are ok.
You need to check the -ve cables and earthing cables under the carpet.
make sure the are real tight, use the brightness of a sunny day if you can.
Also try to get a single side of jumper leads(ie only 1 cable and clamps) and clamp from the -ve terminal of the battery and then to some nice meaty part of the body/chassis or engine, be VERY VERY carefull not to do the wrong terminal!!
See if this makes a diference,...
if is does then its safe to assume that the -ve earthing cable on you car is eiher badly connected or is in need of repair....
let us know how you go.
cheers chris

thanks chris will give it a go tonight. i've been testing everything to see what affects what and found some more gremlins.

whilst driving when i take my foot of the gas temp gauge will increase gradualy then when reapplying gas pedal it decreases.

also when turning lights/aircon on temp gauge increases and when turning them off the temp gauge decreases WIERD!

I have a feeling that possibly when switching gears that this also has a quick impact on the gauge, although for obvious reasons haven't checked too closely.

someone also said to check the dash wiring as this could also be the cause. the previous owner put in an in dash cd player which may/may not be a cause of my dramas. is it easy to pull apart and put back the dash?

sounds like everything that is going through a central place could be the cause
that is the connection to the ECU
seeing as all the sensors go through this little piece of wizardry
you may have a bad connection there
give it a good wriggle without disconnecting it maybe
one of the others on here might have a better clue

Kris, taking a radio out of a 306, isn;t too hard, certainly not easy but very dooable.
I hope the previous owner left the key/tool for removal...
Id hate to be a little P, but i think its time you visited a good auto-elec.
Ring up ug service centers and see who they recomend. i say this coz the loom in a 306 isn't simle.
cheers chris

Ok finally had some time to give Paul a call and well he's very knowledgable perhaps too much so. Over the phone he thinks it could be the cluster that's the problem! Said if it were it would be damn expensive. :mad:

Spoke to Peugeot said they're about $1800 :mad: :mad: :mad:

I am so praying that this is not the case cause there is no way I can afford that kinda money. cry (I'm taking donations by the way :D )

He should be able to look at it next week so will let you know how things go.

Also, anyone know where I could get a cluster from a wrecker, etc and whether an XSI, S16 or an other 306 cluster would do the job?

Man I pissed already and I don't know for sure yet

whilst driving when i take my foot of the gas temp gauge will increase gradualy then when reapplying gas pedal it decreases.

also when turning lights/aircon on temp gauge increases and when turning them off the temp gauge decreases WIERD!
Don't know about on the 306 (or even whether it has one) , but this sort of behaviour is absolutely classic "failed voltage stabiliser" in other cars. In cars of the seventies and early 80's at least its usally a ten dollar plug in. Wouldn't be surprised if its "integrated" into something these days though, so you have to replace something much more expensive.

I wonder whether a decent sparky could repair it still if it is? (you know, the sort of guy who repairs the faulty solder joint on a motherboard for $10 when the computer dealer wants to sell you a new one for $800)

Cheers

Rod

<small>[ 08 August 2003, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: Rod Hagen ]</small>

Certainly hope so, well leaving out the more expensive part.

Just can't understand how a 5yr old cluster can be stuffed.

Kristian:
Certainly hope so, well leaving out the more expensive part.

Just can't understand how a 5yr old cluster can be stuffed.
It may well be that it isn't stuffed. That would make that aspect less puzzling! It reeks of electrical connection high resistance fault to me, feeding voltage where it shouldn't be.

Best of luck. I wish I could offer advice. Beyond finding a really good, grey haired electrician, I can't offer much. I'll be really interested to hear what it was after you've finally cured it.

Cheers

JohnW

Same here though hopefully my wallet isn't much worse off than it is already. I'm taking it to Paul Vassallo next week so hope it's all sorted out very shortly.

Got my car back last night from Paul. Firstly the guy is TOPS! He explained everything to me in detail and was patient with my many questions. For all of those saying I had a bad earth congrats you were correct although he found that the engine temp gauge to be faulty and recalibrated it as well as tightining it up as it was loose. Also the PCV & idle bleed lines were cleaned up. Got a reasonably small list of things that need to be fixed or replaced over the coming months which was what I requested although I expect this to be part of a general service. Though again he explained them in great detail as well as expected costs. He also told me that I'm pushing my oil too far by changing every 10,000kms which I haven't been told before by any mechanic. Going to give the Amsoil a go as the additive he's put in REALLY makes a difference. Sorry about the long post I'm just excited at having my car back running how it should and am in love again :D Thanks for everyone's suggestions including Paul's shop.

Good to hear Kristian, and glad to know I was on the ball wink

You're right about Paul. I've referred a few people to him recently (he said to me last week that I'd referred a few people to him, and I wasn't sure who he was speaking about but I guess you're one of them).

My neighbour took her 306 to him 3 weeks ago after a problem with it missing that her mechanic couldn't fix. In no time, it was all sorted - the PCV system was blocked with gunk.

As far as I know, if you have a 306 that misses or surges and it hasn't been serviced by Paul, it'll be the PCV system because no other mechanics seem analytical enough to consider it when troubleshooting.

My neighbour also said he took 45 minutes to explain what he'd done and showed her parts he'd replaced while she stood there nodding her head in confusion hehe He's doing my cousin's 306 this week - her central locking is busted after 2 break-ins in a month :eek:

I think we should all say cheers! to gibgib for discovering him!

Derek :cool: