You thought your car was too rusty to repair.

Sunroof

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
The picture says it all.
403710854_1069499440744712_6865715624276696564_n.jpg

It would have to be easier to go and find a good R10 shell. I guess we still have them in Oz at least.

But that means one less car on the road. I'm trying to get three Fuego's out of 4. But if I had time left in my life I could have got 4. We do have another very rusty one for the bits like headlights etc. Not that this is money making exercise, it isn't, it costs more to do than you can sell them for. But I hate to see a repairable car wrecked. Actually it is a 15/17 left hand drive in the picture.

But that means one less car on the road. I'm trying to get three Fuego's out of 4. But if I had time left in my life I could have got 4. We do have another very rusty one for the bits like headlights etc. Not that this is money making exercise, it isn't, it costs more to do than you can sell them for. But I hate to see a repairable car wrecked. Actually it is a 15/17 left hand drive in the picture.
Admirable Rob. Your cars would be fabulous for the buyers, to your great credit!

I wonder if the A pillars have been repaired already? Link please Rob?

Not to put too fine a point to it,
But the first photo is a LHD R12 or 17?
Grafting onto an R10 would be very interesting...

Not to put too fine a point to it,
But the first photo is a LHD R12 or 17?
Grafting onto an R10 would be very interesting...
Yes, of course. I was referring the blue R8 Gordini shell from England. :) I did ask the guy and yes, he plans to repair it. :oops:

Years ago I bought a Fiat 125 for the engine and box to fit in a club special home build. It had been driving and registered but had dropped a front ball joint driving in to his work up the entrance road ?? Lucky ! When I lifted the carpet to work on it there was no floor left in any seating position and I was looking direct at the ground. Hmm not hard to get at anything after that, just peeled it back ! But we all know Fiats were bad for rust then.
Jaahn

He will need to watch lots of episodes of Fitzees Fabrications to see how to piece that body together.
Chassis repairs pose a different set of problems. Compound curves and shut lines are much more difficult to deal with.

I would much rather deal with that than something that needs to be pretty when it's finished.

I guess the question of "how rusty is too rusty"depends on the real or perceived value of the finished car. The Volkswagen crowd seem to search the ends of the earth for desirable barn door types and go to ridiculous lengths to recover them. If you look on youtube you will see what I mean, one example being where they recovered an old rusted hulk from a Swedish forest up in the hills somewhere and used a helicopter to haul the booty out. They can't possibly ever realize their costs to recover and restore these vehicles but then the VWs have quite a cult following.

My dad had one of those - was his only car when he & Mum got married. I rolled it when I was about 12...