You lot driven MX5's? - NSW RRC 6h

Bowie

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Yeah yeah I know, I thought how good could they be. Turns out they are hoot.

front.jpg

back.jpg

I was up at the Road Race Club 6hr again with a mob from Victoria. My AE92 wasn't ready... so I was lucky enough to share a spot in another mates car. It's got a set of extractors, a welded diff, some lowering springs, and 235mm AR1's all round.

Yeah these things are fun as f*k.

I was faster in the Commodore last year, but this was a ton more fun. Looking out the window at the pavement for your line, hearing everything sans roof and windows, sitting lower to the ground then anything I've ever been in perhaps second only to the Radical, yeah it makes sense. It also makes sense as to why 25% of the field is made up of MX5's.. They are fun.

I should have bought one when they were cheap.

Go racing with your mates :)

Oh! There was a greatly dressed French team here this year, I kept getting distracted when I was trying to head over and say g'day. You all looked glorious, and your cars were Beaut!

.. I mean... well no I haven't driven anything mid engine so I have no idea.

If it's more fun then that yes please!

Actually there must have been some sort of MX5 get together in my area a couple of weeks ago.
There was gaggles of the things running around all the back roads around here.
I reckon the average driver's age would have been about 70.

Probably all pretending it's a Lotus Elan which (like me) couldn't afford when they were young!

The MX5 car club and the MG car club no doubt feel very similar :p

I had forgotten they were released in 1989. How have I got this long before even driving one.

Shame on me.

Pretending to be a Lotus Elan, fine with me :)

A 205 GTi would probably be as much fun ..... But in a different way too .... I'm yet to experience this though :( Years ago I did a drive day... and AWD lambergini, a lotus ... and a mid engined v8 ferarri. The lambergini was out of this world .... incredible... I hated it ... boring as batshit, stupid paddle shift crap ... it was like piloting a camry with no vision out of it. the lotus was fun .... but the ferarri ... Oh man ... If I win tattslotto ... I'm getting myself one of those.... the sounds, the feel ..... We drove though a little beach town the other side of melbourne. at each intersetction and round-about I'd let a little gap open up so I could let it run out in 1st gear. We stopped at the beach and the local petrol heads must have heard me coming through town. At the round-about where we headed down to the beach ... it was a small round-about that we turned right at. I gave it everything out of the round-about in 1st gear .... talk about in heaven... It gave a little wiggle from the tail and the sound as it howled out towards its redline. It would send shivers down your spine.

A few locals followed us down to the beach carpark and they came an asked me about the car "Not mine, its a rental"..... "Your allowed to drive it like that :eek:".... was the response. Um, I didn't even break the speed limit, but I sure enjoyed the symphony of sounds from behind me :dance: The hire mob leads to convoy, you can't overtake them or do anything stupid. It must be how they manage to get insurance to manage the risk of idiots driving the supercars on public roads.... :)

Man that ferrari though ..... Wow ....

seeya,
Shane L.

Last edited:
A guy in the Lotus Club raced a stock MX5 Clubsport in the CSCA Supersprints. At Wakefield he’d do 1:11 all day and I’d have to push the race trimmed 205 hard to beat him.

Yeah not surprising. Those that could drive these things were impressive to watch, sliding under breaks and balancing on the way out of corners. it was great stuff.

I want to do this again.