XU9 engine musings

I think such secret disclosure will benefit you too in the end, provided people come back with what they have achieved. My engine(s) are still good, but I do see a day not far off when I will have to freshen some up. Rest assured i will come back for more advice and hopefully with some feedback.

But where do you get those cams from?

There is another reason why the DFZ piston is better. The DFZ piston has a compression height of 37.50mm, compared to 37.1mm for the DKZ and D6B pistons. This gives a smaller squish distance and promotes a better burn. This is one of the reasons the DFZ engine is so responsive, yet has a low CR. An engine with a bad squish height is the XU10J4, as fitted to Mi16 S2 and S16. This engine is 10.4:1 but the piston is a whopping 1.00mm down the bore. Thus the doughy performance from an engine that on paper, should scream.

I get the cams from here: http://www.taylor-eng.com/

with an aftermarket ECU this combo makes a reliable 80kW at the wheels (approx. 145hp flywheel, same as DFW Mi16)

Gives me a good benchmark for my motor.

And there you have it.

This is why I am so confused. Do I need the DKZ pistons or not? Or better put, using the DFZ pistons apparently gives the highest compression so why would I need the DKZ pistons then?

I will probably have to do more digging on my own.