XU10J4R into a 405

GRAHAM WALLIS

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Any problems with doing this? Exhaust manifold and down pipe would be one area I would think. A mate wants to do an upgrade to his S2 SRi but I think that in some ways an XU9 Mi16 would be a backwards step and I'm not impressed by the XU10J4 in standard spec.

Strange. In my experience an XU10J4 is quicker than an XU9J4Z everywhere, even though it doesn't feel like it. An XU10J4 is defintely a more complex installation however, due to individual coils, two dual channel ignitors and sequential fuel. Finding a good version of either would be rare. May as well just fix the 8V.

You couldn't legally fit an XU9J4Z to the SRi anyway.

Actually I've just realised the J4R won't be any good as he runs the car in the Standard Car Class and the 405 never came with that motor. 8v is actually OK but the gearbox needs changing due to a blown up diff, first of those I've heard of for a while and he was thinking of doing a motor swap at the same time.

S2 Mi16 and S16 have a stronger diff than earlier versions.

S2 Mi16 and S16 have a stronger diff than earlier versions.
Yes, 505 sized bits, it had an S1 Mi16 box fitted. I have another diff but probably the housing is broken. We will probably use a 205 Si box as a donor to fix the Mi16 one. Mi16 boxes are a big improvement for an 8 valve, especially in a 205 Si.