xsara fan problems

paul21

Tadpole
I'M Currently having problems with my 1998 Xsara 1.8 Twin Cam 16 (XU7JP4). The stop light has been coming on recently, and the termperature warning light, but the temperature gauge doesn't say the car is overheating. The fan does not turn off when i stop the engine and runs for hours to the point where the battery is drained.. i removed the fuse that controls the fan and this seems to of fixed the problem temporrily.. anyone have any idea whats going on? thanks

a guess would be the thurmo fan switch playing up? or maybe it is a bit hot but your temp gauge is not acuate. :2cents:

Paul,
Take the car to a Citroen mechanic, or at least someone that has a reader for the computer circutry. Our mechanic told us the computer logs all faults and he can download and read what's going on. I am sure it wouldn't cost too much for them to just do that.
We had a similar hassle with our '98 Xsara in that the thermo switch(?) didn't function at all and the car reached 90*+ in traffic and only cooled when on the go or when we turned the ACC on to have the fan running.
Re-connect the fuse because then you can pull the wires off the switch and see if it's faulty. The switch is a 2 stage one, low speed and high speed, so when you pull off the wires you will see what circut isn't working right also I'd think.
Good luck.
Chris

Last edited:
Get hold of a service manual and find the location of the Bi-tron relay.
This is the fan controller and is set in such a way that if it cracks up, it automatically sends the fan into full speed mode permanently.
In Xantias, it's set behind the passengers side headlight on some cars and near the battery on others. It's usually brown plastic about the size of a packet of cigs.
I understand it costs about $140 in Australia.

Alan S

thanks guys, i think i've found the switch! as soon as i fix all these problems im trading this car in! it's causing so many hassles..

paul21 said:
thanks guys, i think i've found the switch! as soon as i fix all these problems im trading this car in! it's causing so many hassles..

You've gotta be joking; why not trade your service people in for a different set?
Might solve a lot of your problems. :wink2:

Alan S :2cents:

Alan S said:
Get hold of a service manual and find the location of the Bi-tron relay.
This is the fan controller and is set in such a way that if it cracks up, it automatically sends the fan into full speed mode permanently.
In Xantias, it's set behind the passengers side headlight on some cars and near the battery on others. It's usually brown plastic about the size of a packet of cigs.
I understand it costs about $140 in Australia.

Alan S
#1...Alan, who sells or distributes Xsara workshop manuals?

#2...Paul, how much rouble are you having with your Xsara?? We bought ours early July and it hasn't missed a beat yet, except for the fan switch problem, which was there when we got it. My lovely wife adores the car, best we've had yet.

This problem has been the object of a recall in France.
The link below shows Peugeot 306 fan electrics, same as Xantia and hopefully Xsara.
The most common cause is a bad contact in the wiring loom plug/socket from the brown temperature sensor on the thermostat housing to the bitron.
Part of the modification is a hard wiring from the sensor to the bitron.
I'll post other links as I find them.

http://www.peugeotlogic.com/workshop/wshtml/electric/ac306/coolfan2/fanop1.htm

http://xu10j4r.free.fr/xantia/notexantia.pdf

The site 'Planète Citroën' is very big and they know all the problems and solutions.
It allows for translation into several languages.
Go to bottom of page >>> Traduire cette page >>> Français à Anglais >>> Traduire.
It cannot translate spelling mistakes, abbreviations, slang and pidgin.

http://translate.google.com/transla...F-8&oe=UTF-8&safe=active&prev=/language_tools

Last edited:
Clogzz said:
This problem has been the object of a recall in France.
The link below shows Peugeot 306 fan electrics, same as Xantia and hopefully Xsara.
The most common cause is a bad contact in the wiring loom plug/socket from the brown temperature sensor on the thermostat housing to the bitron.
Part of the modification is a hard wiring from the sensor to the bitron.
I'll post other links as I find them.

http://www.peugeotlogic.com/workshop/wshtml/electric/ac306/coolfan2/fanop1.htm

http://xu10j4r.free.fr/xantia/notexantia.pdf

The site 'Planète Citroën' is very big and they know all the problems and solutions.
It allows for translation into several languages.
Go to bottom of page >>> Traduire cette page >>> Français à Anglais >>> Traduire.
It cannot translate spelling mistakes, abbreviations, slang and pidgin.

http://translate.google.com/transla...F-8&oe=UTF-8&safe=active&prev=/language_tools
Thanks Clogs.
Sue's Xsara still isn't exactly right, as the rising temp is still a problem now and then. I'll have a look at that link and possibly print a page for our mechanic and see if he was aware of the recall.
Chris....
AUSSIEFROGS RULZZZZZ :banana: ...this sin't even my thread and I look like I have benifited, all power to the froggers. Thanks to Gibgib and Greenblood again for a great site.
Chris

I am going to look into this further. We have to have the car back to replace the timing belt and idler pulley next week(please tell me it has one that should be replaced with the belt, as it is noisy) and I am getting a copy of original receipt after all the work is done. I am sure it was explained to us that the relay on the radiator was faulty and needed replacing. From what I can see from the diagram, there isn't such a beast and the circut relies on the temperature sender for information to feed the circut temperature readings.

Also, checking the car I couldn't see any thing electrical connected to the radiator where the relay should have been. :mad: Not going to make any accusations as yet, but getting more P***ed off by the minute here. I only get Sue's cars professionally maintained because then I am confident everything is done correctly. Last time we trusted someone with this task, he turned out to be a hairy wombat.[That is actually extinct] :joker: (quoted from aussiefrogs from way back :roflmao: )

havn't really had many problems, just the fan, this knocking noise when i release the clutch sometimes, boot doesnt lock with central locking, and now the keyless entry doesn't work, and the buttons on the steering wheel for the stereo are faulty, and the left indicator switch is faulty, theyre mainly all electrical problems. I've had 2 minor accients, and needed new parts and the car has sat in the workshop for months waiting for parts to come over from france because they dont stock them here.

HONG KONG PUGGY said:
I am going to look into this further.
I am sure it was explained to us that the relay on the radiator was faulty and needed replacing. From what I can see from the diagram, there isn't such a beast and the circut relies on the temperature sender for information to feed the circut temperature readings.

Also, checking the car I couldn't see any thing electrical connected to the radiator where the relay should have been.
Look at all the photographs to see if they apply to the Xsara.
There are 3 relays between the fans on Xantia and 306.

Clogzz said:
Look at all the photographs to see if they apply to the Xsara.
There are 3 relays between the fans on Xantia and 306.
Had a real good look at the Xsara today. Could not find a thermo switch on the radiator, and we were told the 'fan' switch on the bottom of the radiator was faulty. There is a triangular box between the 2 fans that would hold 3 relays. I'll have a word to our mechanic and await his reply when we go back for the other things next week.

paul21 said:
The fan does not turn off when I stop the engine and runs for hours to the point where the battery is drained.
Cooling fans not turning off

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Created: 07. 06. 2003
Updated: --. --. ----

Model: 306 (2 speed twin cooling fans, A/C)

VIN: 30 108 962 to 30 276 791. This is the chassis number range for the wiring diagram applicable for this paricular vehicle.

Symptoms: The cooling fans keep running indefinitely after the ignition is switched off. The problem disappears for a period of time. Usually the fans ran until the battery went flat. It was also noted that the A/C system and rear screen demister was operable with the ignition off.

Possible Cause: Water in the cooling fan connector. This connector is located on the left side of the cooling fan unit and is accessible from the rear of the front panel. Nearby on the left chassis rail are 2 more connectors that should always be checked in the event of a cooling fan malfunction.
The picture on the left shows the connector from the front with the bumper bar removed. It can be accessed from the back, removal of the bumper bar is not required.

Diagnosis: The first item checked was the A/C main relay in the passenger compartment next to the fuse box. The relay was found to be energised with the ignition switched off. The relay coil is normaly supplied with 12V from the ignition switch via fuse number 5. The ignition switch tested ok, no short circuit to positiv between ignition switch and relay. We isolated the engine bay harness by disconnecting the main connector in the plenum chamber. The relay switched off after that.
On this paricular model, fuse number 5 supplies the hight speed fan relays, the control unit for the cooling fans, the compressor cut- off relay and the pressostat. The water inside the connector short circuited the ignition wire to battery +. This activated the cooling fan relays and also provided feed back to the A/C relay.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Technical information by
peugeotlogic.com