Xsara brake discs

Xsara VTR said:
Do these ever have to be replaced on the Xsara, or any other car....???

cheers

No, of course not! All Citroens built after the 31st February 1999 have special non wearing brake disks. You also never have to put new tyres on them, change the oil or put fuel in the tank.:rolleyes:

Most modern car brake disks wear out in city driving at around 60 to 80 thousand km - if you're lucky.

UFO said:
No, of course not! All Citroens built after the 31st February 1999 have special non wearing brake disks. You also never have to put new tyres on them, change the oil or put fuel in the tank.:rolleyes:

Most modern car brake disks wear out in city driving at around 60 to 80 thousand km - if you're lucky.

UFO ... Your just cruel :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Apparanlty Xsaras are very hard on brake disks and rotors. Most modern cars are. I think it's due to them running softer rotors and harder pads. The pads are harder as they no longer contain aspestos.

seeya,
Shane L.

well this is what i have been tellin this dikhed (no other word to describe him) i know but he is insisting that all cars should never have to have their discs replaced, if he has to, he wants his money back..... :crazy: :crazy: tool..... i cant get it through to him

he reckons that pads are designed to wear and not the discs...at all...correct me if im wrong but this is impossible in terms of physics

Can I suggest you point him at something like this?

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showpost.php?p=225703&postcount=4

or this:

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showpost.php?p=225793&postcount=3

Simple answer is, if rotors don't wear out, then why are they a spare part, why are there companies like DBA in existence, why have a dimension in the service manual and in some cases stamped on the actual rotor advising on minimum thickness before they need changing and does he believe in immortality? :confused:

Alan S :cheers:

Last edited:
Xsara VTR said:
well this is what i have been tellin this dikhed (no other word to describe him) i know but he is insisting that all cars should never have to have their discs replaced, if he has to, he wants his money back..... :crazy: :crazy: tool..... i cant get it through to him

he reckons that pads are designed to wear and not the discs...at all...correct me if im wrong but this is impossible in terms of physics

He might be doing you a favouor :confused: He's probably measured the disks and found them well within spec (why they get so few kms out of them when 'warranty serviced' is beyond me ..... You would almost think they just wanted something to charge you for :cancan: After all who's going to argue there brakes don't need 'fixing').

seeya,
Shane L.

It used to be true that brake disks wore out much slower than the pads (say 100 000+ km for a GS), but then folks realised that pads soft enough to behave like that gave lung cancer to anyone who breathed near them... offer him a bag of asbestos dust to snort if he don't beleive you :mallet: :mallet:

Chris

well, thanks for youre replies and information guys, I'll put forward what you have said and from the DBA website....although being the ignorant tool that he is he'll probably say that places like DBA and the reason why they are a spare part is because some people (like him) drive down to the pistons and its just another reason to take your money...

I'll keep you guys updated on what he says....

danielsydney said:
cmon guys he may not be very mechanical....:D

well he thinks he is...along with many other topics, he was suprised at how complex the wiring system for the window regulator was, he thought it would be similar to his manual windows..

he also says that he does his own services on his 2000 something, Corolla...when I asked him about log book entries when he goes to sell it, he said that he'll just write it in himself or get one of his dodgy mates to write it in.. :eek: :nownow: