XM

danielsydney

Good Sport
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
CITROEN XM 24V
Exclusive 2000 auto, 29500kms, silver, grey leather, CD, cruise control, 4 airbags, as new condition, reg to August 2003, XM-2000, $54990, DL-13028. Continental Cars PUNCHBOWL 02-9759 1977 Surely they are not serious. Its a very nice car but will theu get that price? A new C5 is even chaeaper than that... renault_

I'm not going to defend the price, it is expensive

Erm a V6 C5 is a lot more than $54,000 on the road....in fact it's $56k before ORC....and debatably, the C5 is a "cheaper" car than an XM

I might be going against the wind here.....but the XM, to me at least, is a better drive than a C5....especially an S2 24v

EDIT
Come to think of it......XMs retailed for $84,500 (pre ORC) eek! in 2000

Is $54k really so much for a 2yr old car with (very slightly) below average kms on it, that sold for so much new?

The Redbook values for a 2000 XM are scary......$38,900 is their top private sale price....

Sometimes I don't need to wonder why Citroen resale value is so low..... frown

<small>[ 18 October 2002, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: DTwo ]</small>
________
Live sex

Last edited:
Original post by Danielsydney
Surely they are not serious. Its a very nice car but will theu get that price? A new C5 is even chaeaper than that...

Daniel, Why shoudn't they be serious :p

C5 V6 leather, metalic paint ect. will not give you much change out $60,000.00 with dealer deliver/on road blah blah blah. For my money I would certainly buy the XM 29,000ks is nothing. The XM is so much more a Citroen than the C5, if I were in the position to buy of course my last consideration would be re-sale value (XM's don't have re-sale) We'll have to wait and see how the C5 fairs wink I think it would be reasonable to suggest most people who buy Citroen(seconhand) are aware of this and intend keeping the car for a loooong time. I hope it does sell and quickly, I tops me hat to Continental.

Cheers
Chris

The XM sits above the Xantia in the Citroen range, and is supposed to compete with M-B E-Class, BMW 5 Series and the like.
The C5 is the Xantia's successor, designed to go head to head with the C-Class and 3 Series.

Citroen XM >> Saab 9-5
Citroen Xantia/C5 >> Saab 9-3 (sorry, couldn't resist it tongue )

Jez 405:
The XM sits above the Xantia in the Citroen range, and is supposed to compete with M-B E-Class, BMW 5 Series and the like.
The C5 is the Xantia's successor, designed to go head to head with the C-Class and 3 Series.

Lada Nivia >> Saab 9-5
Lada Samarai >> Saab 9-3 (sorry, couldn't resist it tongue )
Neither could I ... roll_lau roll_lau roll_lau moon dance

Alan S cheers!

This car (same rego XM 2000) is back for sale at Continental cars. Does anyone know what happened? I'm pretty sure it was sold late last year.

The XM is undoubtedly more "Citroen" than a C5 will ever be, and only 2 years old, but you can't deny that it has the legacy of only being a facelifted early 90s design, whereas the C5 will have the benefit of being a far more modern design in just about every aspect.

IMO this is at a "Citrophiles only need apply" price. (i.e. those who would look at this as a chance to buy a best-of-breed XM, rather than car-shopping and comparing it against buying a C5 or Laguna etc.)

P.S. SAAB! SAAB! SAAB! HOLDEN UTE! HOLDEN UTE! LADA LADA SAAB SAAB LADA SAAB!

Sorry, I just had to get that all out :D

Arthur:
This car (same rego XM 2000) is back for sale at Continental cars. Does anyone know what happened? I'm pretty sure it was sold late last year.
Yes, I know what happened...

The man who bought it lives in Oberon - the coldest hell hole of a place in Aus except for Orange or Goulburn. Anyway that is beside the point.

He wanted a car that he could tow a trailer with. He soon realised that the XM is a thoroughbred sports car in disguise and perhaps in its 24v config not really suited to trailer towing (don't go ballistic on bagging me out here - this was HIS opinion).

To add to the confusion, I would hate to try to fit a tow bar to a 24v XM as the rear muffler is about 2cm away from the frame where the TB would mount etc. In other words it may not be possible.

Anwyay, he was offered a deal to trade the XM on a demo diesel C5 with TB already attached. Accepted offer, end of story.

I have seen the car and it is VERY good. Given the money....... whip

Craig that sounds reasonable enough a reason to me. Did this deal happen at continental cars at Punchbowl where I got my C3 from?

Just quietly I wouldn't pay $20000 for such an XM. The C5 is so much better it's not funny. Better in every way, except ugly as sin. The XM wins there.
The XM has a sloppy body with no rigidity, whereas the C5 is taut and well made. Like Mick Martyn, the footballer. Pig ugly, but quite efficient and good.
PSA spent squillions on the C5. As good as it is, they forgot to make it good looking. Clean forgot. Jeez it's crook.
I think I have overmade my point, and offended both sides. I will retire now.

Warwick,
On what basis do you say that the XM has a sloppy body with no rigidity?

Warwick is right,

The XMs do get creaky with age (they were fairly creaky new...for their market, especially s1s), with a few plastic squeaks and rattles here and there. Nothing "bad", but XMs show their age in this respect.

They are a large/heavy hatchback this does not make for an incredible structural rigidity (especially over time)...and as they have relatively complicated trim and the double glass at the back, there are plenty of things to move, twist and make noise with the body.

The C5 is a better car in many ways, the XM is a better Citroen though :D

C5 styling doesn't do it for me either:)
________
Prilosec Settlement

Last edited:
Having had an XM, I have to say I'd go for one any day against a C5, as others have said the C5 just is the Xantia replacement. As for living in Oberon, well I live in Katoomba, and I'd think Oberon and the shitty roads in/out would make an XM a hoot of a drive....(maybe I'm a little biased) I drove my CX thru there last winter, that road from Oberon to Goulburn was fun driving thru the dust!

I would personally (If in cash surplus mode) be in there like a shot to buy it, I have yet to think of a better car on the road, except for its predecessors like the CX and DS...

Great comments. Lets keep this thread going. What does everyone else think of the XM who has ever owned/driven one?

I have never driven an XM or owned one so couldnt say but There is a lot of glass on them I know that. I thought they were pretty similar to the Xantia arent they??

Well having owned a BX and now an XM, I can certainly say that the XM is a LOT quieter. Mine is an s2 and is well put together. During the dreaded starter motor probs last year (touch wood) an NRMA guy was jacking the car up and commented that he was amazed at how stiff the car body was.

Yes there are some minor creaks from time to time, but I've driven other brand newer cars that are far worse than my now 7yo XM.

The most annoying noise is the leather seats rubbing on the centre armrest and seat belt buckles. Careful application of some felt or similar will soon cure that (when I get a round tuit).

The car is a joy to drive in town and on the highway. As Rex (who traded the XM that started this) said - the harder you drive it the better it is. I think that is a bonus of the hydractive 2 suspension - it just keeps firming up as you require. (If only all things in life were like that eh boys? eek! )

My biggest disappointment with the car is the fuel bills. I just try to forget how long a full tank in the BX would last (60l) against the 85l in the XM. Makes the service station attendants comment when they see how much you have put in the car if it is near empty.

Anyway, given the $ and need, I would probably look at a C5 diesel - who knows.

Now as for comparing rides with XMs and older or newer Cits. They really are different cars and development of driver requirements and road surfaces over the years has brought about the changes in suspension that we see now.