XM (Series 1?) Window Down

Thank you Roger, please PM your address and if you are available, I'll see you tomorrow.

I've been meaning to see you for some time.

John

John, you are welcome to come here and remove one from a parts car and try it.

Cheers,
Roger

You may want a packed lunch for that visit!

It should be possible to test that module with a multi-meter. The polarity at the two motor connections should swap +/-12V. Both relays need to switch together to swap the polarity to make the glass go up/down. You might need to keep a spare 5 year old handy for the up/down testing procedure.

I may still have a spare module salvaged from a 1990/91 V6. I'm just not sure where it is.

Last edited:
Thanks David, will consider subject to you finding it and Roger's not being suitable.

Warmambool not too far for a C5, as for the cut lunch, lunch is ready (wife's a semi coeliac, hence always best to BYO - safer), no word from Roger though, obviously not on line.

Regards,

John

PS: The relay on the right in the photo seems to be on as is in the photo; question, do relay windings operate the other way around? That is, upon power applied, contacts "open". I may have contacts welded / stuck closed.

You may want a packed lunch for that visit!

It should be possible to test that module with a multi-meter. The polarity at the two motor connections should swap +/-12V. Both relays need to switch together to swap the polarity to make the glass go up/down. You might need to keep a spare 5 year old handy for the up/down testing procedure.

I may still have a spare module salvaged from a 1990/91 V6. I'm just not sure where it is.

Last edited:
It would not be the first time someone has done a day trip from Melbourne to raid my XM graveyard.

If you don't want to bring a cut lunch the local general store does pretty good tucker.

Roger

Yep, somebody else has visited Roger and the cut lunch came in handy.

Amongst a few other items that I could not resist, Roger put me on to the XM that had the Bitron window control unit that was the reason for the trip.

Yesterday I took the opportunity before trying it out, to pulled it apart and checked it out against my unit. The RHS relay on my unit has one contact permanently closed - contacts fused / welded together! Roger's was not. Close examination of the RHS relay in the photo of my Biton unit, one can see that the contact is closed - no doubt the contact controlling the down position.

104728d1522064093-xm-series-1-window-down-img_4769.jpg

Connected it all up today and window works beatifully.

Now the fun continues sealing the door card before reassembly. The foam sealing sheet used by Citroen was certainly not meant to be pulled off and reused - a bit of cleaning up required before I reseal using conventional plastic sheet.

Regards and thanks,

John

John

It would not be the first time someone has done a day trip from Melbourne to raid my XM graveyard.

If you don't want to bring a cut lunch the local general store does pretty good tucker.

Roger