XM radiator

wonkipop

Fellow Frogger
my 99 V6 (ESJ engine) radiator is on the way out.
a little different in design to the prv engine rad.
plastic side element leaking coolant.
still driveable but failure would be immanent i'm guessing.
discovering that these particular radiators appear to be virtually unobtainable.

discovered as listed on uk auto dr. site but there is no shipping to aus as an option anymore.

any suggestions out there.

have you looked on ebay.co.uk ?

This may be a silly suggestion, but ring your local radiator shop. They may have something that fits :)

yes done extensive ring around with local radiator shops. nill result so far.

doing the ebay uk searches. not turning up much.
there are some parts sites which list the right rad, but its a non ship to australia problem (possibly the result of our govt. gst collecting rampage from a year or so back?).
even trusty mick's garage does not have the rad in stock, but i have an inquiry out with them to see if that can find one.
even thought of v6 xantia possibility as these are in stock in aus, but the outlets are different and size is slightly less wide.
the late xm v6 has 90 degree turned outlets molded in top and bottom due to space constraints in the engine bay.

yes done extensive ring around with local radiator shops. nill result so far.

doing the ebay uk searches. not turning up much.
there are some parts sites which list the right rad, but its a non ship to australia problem (possibly the result of our govt. gst collecting rampage from a year or so back?).
even trusty mick's garage does not have the rad in stock, but i have an inquiry out with them to see if that can find one.
even thought of v6 xantia possibility as these are in stock in aus, but the outlets are different and size is slightly less wide.
the late xm v6 has 90 degree turned outlets molded in top and bottom due to space constraints in the engine bay.

Your local radiator shop will be able to make a real radiator for it if you get stuck :) They'll just find a core of similar dimensions and make up the tanks!

true double chevron.
might have to do that if i draw a blank.
though have managed to find another mob in the uk with one and have written off to see if they will ship.
likely significantly less expensive than having one made even with shipping.
there is i have discovered a bloke at hoppers crossing with 2 hella xm rads but he wants a small fortune for them.
i could have a custom one made for his price.
i have resorted previously to custom fabrication when the coolant swirl pot split, another piece of unobtanium.

On the basis of “Your XM problem today is mine tomorrow,” I did some research. Searching the Nissen catalogue for part 1330 32 found this radiator:

XM radiator.jpg

which is shared by the model with a 2l diesel motor. It is available from this UK seller for around $250 delivered (plus internet tax). Of course, delivery may evaporate in the current circumstances.

Nissen lists it for manual transmission but I haven’t seen a different model specified for auto. They also specify the in/outlets as 36mm diameter. I found an NRF model specifying 42mm. However, around 36mm seems about right from my measurements.

On the basis of “Your XM problem today is mine tomorrow,” I did some research. Searching the Nissen catalogue for part 1330 32 found this radiator:

which is shared by the model with a 2l diesel motor. It is available from this UK seller for around $250 delivered (plus internet tax). Of course, delivery may evaporate in the current circumstances.

Nissen lists it for manual transmission but I haven’t seen a different model specified for auto. They also specify the in/outlets as 36mm diameter. I found an NRF model specifying 42mm. However, around 36mm seems about right from my measurements.

AFAIK auto and manual are the same as the heat exchanger on the auto is on the box and not in the radiator

The difference is in the thermostat housing

I bought one a few years back for a 98 es9j4 auto aus delivered XM from a company in Germany. Was easy transaction and from memory postage was very reasonable and fast.
They were trading as car “parts-global” on eBay
And also trade as “Lott autoteile” and have an email address of
message@lott.de
Website back then was,
Www.lott.de

As an interim measure, may I suggest Sellys Aqua Knead It. Magic stuff and if looks not an issue, I would not be surprised if you may end up with a permanent repair as automotive radiator temperatures are well within its operating parameters. I would not hesitate to add fiberglass clippings to increase tensile strength but not necessary but just me.
Regards,
John

thanks xm-ers.

yes john, will try the aqua kneed to slow down the leak. good suggestion and worth a shot for interim measure.

re other suggestions. 406 rad is same as v6 xantia rad i am fairly sure. outlets are in differrent positions as per illustration in post above. engine bay space arrangements in the xm seem to dictate the reasons for the particular rad. have been told by os parts suppliers its now a rare radiator and stocks are drying up.
thanks for all suggestions. i think we have tracked one down who will ship to aus ( NRF) all up somewhere in vicinity of $500-$600 door to door all costs. NRF are a good dutch brand (whether its manufactured in NL i don't know, would doubt it).

for other xm owners, the rad for the prv engine xm is still fairly easy to get your hands on.

The NRF radiator for the es9j4 XM is shown as having 42mm diameter in/outlets compared to 36mm on other brands. You might want to check whether this is the case and, if so, whether it will work for you.