XM Horror Strut

David Stewart

Fellow Frogger
Even though I have checked my strut tops assiduously since earlier postings this strut gave way whilst in my panel shop. It moved approx 1cm and nudged the bonnet. As we were unable to get the car on the hoist to replace the rubber bushing, the bonnet was removed fully and the the car was placed on the street. A few hours elapsed and, whammo, the strut let go. I cannot begin to tell you how horrified I felt on seeing its collapse. This could have happened on the open road with full family on board....there is a lesson here. If you have and XM or car with similar Macpherson strut and top mount, then replace them before 150000kms have elapsed regardless of how 'normal' they appear.

Or a Xantia? Sorry if its been posted, but can anyone advise on the deal for these; is it time-related as well or essentially distance-related?

In other words, when do these tend to fail in Xantias?

Trixie said:
Or a Xantia? Sorry if its been posted, but can anyone advise on the deal for these; is it time-related as well or essentially distance-related?

In other words, when do these tend to fail in Xantias?

Trixie, yes this can and has happened to Xantia and I believe BX. Aussie cars seem to be safe for around 150,000k. Do a search on the forum, it has been mentioned many times, you'll also find methods for checking XM and Xantia.

Not pretty when they catch you out :eek:
>>> http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4936#post4936 <<<

Cheers
Chris

A guy at the CCC meet last night was showing me photos of his Xantia strut failure that happened just yesterday. Luckily his car was parked when it happened. It looked pretty ugly.

His name escapes me....he also has a Maserati BiTurbo. Does anyone know his name?

Thanks for that Greenblood. I'll have a good mooch around those links later. It was that kids in the car comment that sparked my attention :(

How can you look for the possibility of strut failure - Ive seen pictures of this and it isnt pretty?

STalled

macquered said:
A guy at the CCC meet last night was showing me photos of his Xantia strut failure that happened just yesterday. Luckily his car was parked when it happened. It looked pretty ugly.

Seems to be the way they go i.e. parked or moving slowly (turning into driveway ect.) from the stories I've heard - much like cam belts. Though I wouldn't count on it.. smarter to have a good look at every service.

Cheers
Chris

David Stewart said:
...whammo, the strut let go. I cannot begin to tell you how horrified I felt on seeing its collapse. This could have happened on the open road with full family on board....there is a lesson here. If you have and XM or car with similar Macpherson strut and top mount, then replace them before 150000kms have elapsed regardless of how 'normal' they appear.

And damn expensive it is too, Dave. I found corrosion under one of my strut top rubbers recently and have explored the available options. Didn't like the idea of it harpooning my bonnet at speed (particuarly with kids on board - agree with Trixie there).

Quote for work to replace strut top by reputable mechanics is in the vicinity of $1200 for one side. :eek:

I'm taking the alternative route (and hoping my strut tops don't go in the meantime) by ordering a replacement kit from the friendly Norwegian Kenneth Nylander. See http://web.telia.com/~u43116231/index2.htm for info and instructions. Costing around AUD $280 including postage for both strut tops, and doesn't look difficult to fit. Could be a couple of hours (and one testamonial indicates it can be done in an hour once you've got the hang of it). Also supposed to be far stronger than the relatively flimsy OEM part. Pity Citroen didn't galvanise it like the rest of the XM body.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Greg

Watching this with great interest Greg, I take it the rubbers on your strut tops are in good condition?

regards
sean

STALLED said:
How can you look for the possibility of strut failure - Ive seen pictures of this and it isnt pretty?

STalled

Anyone?

STalled

sdabel said:
Watching this with great interest Greg, I take it the rubbers on your strut tops are in good condition?

regards
sean

One's very good Sean, the exposed top of the other could be better. I've heard mixed opinions about the need for the rubber to be in good nick - interested to hear more.

Cheers,

Greg

STALLED said:
Anyone?

STalled

Here's the discussion on this forum:
http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=370

Here's some discussion on the Club-XM forum:
http://club-xm.com/forum2/index.php?showtopic=53

And there's a couple of pics of a harpooned Series I XM on the Nylander site link that I posted above.

I don't have conclusive proof that the XM hydractive 2 struts won't go through the bonnet, but don't want to take the chance (my car is the hybrid "Series 1.5", built in June '92 - has bits of Series II interior and hydraulics, etc). The pics of the harpooned spanish XM posted on the AussieFrogs link above like a Series II but was probably a Series I with some Series II costmetic additions (such as the revised grille). The rear spoiler is the most obvious evidence of its age.

Cheers,

Greg

So its bascially caused by the rubber at the top of the struts wearing out and pushing through?

Can I physically check as to what condition the rubber is and how much does it cost to replace?

BTW Cheers for those links - Ouch poor XM!

Thanks heaps!

Stalled

It seems more prone to XMs than Xantias.
In the UK there's been a few XMs done it, in Malaysia there was a run on BXs yet over here we rarely ever heard of it. The Kiwis have had a fair bit of XM failures but again, it's one of those things that if it happens to one car we hear about it for years.
Talking to one Cit mechanic in the UK he has seen a couple and actually posted some pics, but when you saw the condition, you wouldn't have sat in the car on a driveway.
To my knowledge, I've heard of one Xantia in Australia having the problem; it was sold via the Auctions but we never did hear how it happened.
In Europe they seemed to get it due to rust in the steel part, in Malaysia it was from heat and humidity coupled with rough roads, so it's not one of those things that "just happens" it tends to be caused due to a variety of reasons with everything bar the XM in which it seems to be a design weakness.
Mine's done 220+Ks with no signs that I can see of any degradation; I was hitting 120 on a rough dirt road today and enjoying every minute of it. :banana: :banana:

Alan S :cheers:

STALLED said:
So its bascially caused by the rubber at the top of the struts wearing out and pushing through?
Stalled

As far as I can tell it's not the rubber, it's really the metal strut top rusting and giving way. See the picture of the rusted out removed strut top on Nylander's site (see link above).

Moisture seems to get trapped beneath the rubber cone vulcanised to the strut top as they age.

The Kiwis vehicle inspection agency (forget it's name) issued this warning for XMs and Xantias: http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/publications/infosheets/infosheet-2-07-200310.html

blomquvist said:
As far as I can tell it's not the rubber, it's really the metal strut top rusting and giving way. See the picture of the rusted out removed strut top on Nylander's site (see link above).

Moisture seems to get trapped beneath the rubber cone vulcanised to the strut top as they age.

The Kiwis vehicle inspection agency (forget it's name) issued this warning for XMs and Xantias: http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/publications/infosheets/infosheet-2-07-200310.html

Firstly, sadly yes series 2 XMs are also victim to this problem. As witnessed by UFO it seems the rubber mount holding the strut top to the metal mounting collar fails.

>>> http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showpost.php?p=94385&postcount=1 <<<

blomquvist, the collar you intend fitting will ensure the strut will not force it's way up into the bonnet, but as I understand it, it will not prevent the actual problem - you will still need to keep an eye on the actual mounts, or have I missed something??

Cheers
Chris

blomquvist said:
One's very good Sean, the exposed top of the other could be better. I've heard mixed opinions about the need for the rubber to be in good nick - interested to hear more.

Cheers,

Greg

From what I have read of this in XM's, either the rubber can fail or the metal underneath can rust away. The viking solution is would only work if your rubber is serviceable. Of course this is all based on what I have read on various forums so I (and I am sure other potential strut replacers are very interested to hear how you get on.

Big question for me is why GSF et al don't sell struts for XM's.

regards
sean

Shane made a somewhat agricultural one for his Xantia that covered all bases.
It worked on the safety net principle from memory (ie) Was there to catch things before they appeared top side of the bonnet. :eek: :eek:

Alan S :cheers:

Said it before and I'll say it again.

On Aussie Cits the problem most often happens with the rubber perishing NOT the collar. Euro cars have collar rot because of salted roads.

The member last night was Peter Johanssen (sp?) and his Dad's Xantia was sitting in the street and Peter came back to it to find a non desirable aerodynamic lump in the bonnet. The rubber had failed.

David was very lucky that his problem happened where it did.

The actual task of replacing the mount is quite easy - in comparison to other cit jobs that I have undertaken.