Xantia Suspension Support Brackets

sparkey

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Would welcome any comments please Froggies on the status of our recently purchased '01 Xantia and its front suspension support brackets. While having the car appraised prior to purchase months ago, our mechanic identified a number of matters requiring attention. Among other things he indicated there were cracks beginning to appear on the suspension tower (by pushing the concertina rubber boot up you can get a good eye ball on this part). I had a look this arvo and can't really see any obvious cracks. The car has 86K on the clock and is requiring clutch attention soon'ish. I am aware of the sphere going through the bonnet business and am keen to get our mechanical priorities in order.

What is the criteria that needs to be applied for front suspension support bracket replacement (approx. $700 of work)?

Sparkey

sparkey said:
Would welcome any comments please Froggies on the status of our recently purchased '01 Xantia and its front suspension support brackets. While having the car appraised prior to purchase months ago, our mechanic identified a number of matters requiring attention. Among other things he indicated there were cracks beginning to appear on the suspension tower (by pushing the concertina rubber boot up you can get a good eye ball on this part). I had a look this arvo and can't really see any obvious cracks. The car has 86K on the clock and is requiring clutch attention soon'ish. I am aware of the sphere going through the bonnet business and am keen to get our mechanical priorities in order.

What is the criteria that needs to be applied for front suspension support bracket replacement (approx. $700 of work)?

Sparkey
I suppose one must trust one's mechanic as he/she has eyeballed your car, but clutch problems and support bracket failures at $86K/4years of age sounds, well, somewhat premature :eek: . What's up with the clutch?

Is the 86K genuine....

I've had a bit of a troll thru' the forum and have yet to find *exactly* what symtoms to look for to catch this one before catastrophy strikes. Has anyone got some photos? Sounds like a good one to keep an eye on.
Cheers
Mike

Strut Failure

Trixie said:
I suppose one must trust one's mechanic as he/she has eyeballed your car, but clutch problems and support bracket failures at $86K/4years of age sounds, well, somewhat premature :eek: . What's up with the clutch?

Is the 86K genuine....

Thanks for the feedback Froggers. The mechanic has put the wagon up on a hoist and checked thoroughly for suspension support fractures and has found we can go another couple of services before replacement. ShaneL's link on this thread seems to be a good preventative measure. In answer to your question JohnW, while only had the car a couple of days, the clutch has a bit of personality. Its been a bit judderie, and has a hard spot in it so we're putting our energies into that area at the moment.

sparkey said:
Thanks for the feedback Froggers. The mechanic has put the wagon up on a hoist and checked thoroughly for suspension support fractures and has found we can go another couple of services before replacement. ShaneL's link on this thread seems to be a good preventative measure. In answer to your question JohnW, while only had the car a couple of days, the clutch has a bit of personality. Its been a bit judderie, and has a hard spot in it so we're putting our energies into that area at the moment.
Spooky - you referred to me as JohnW (?typo) which is what is sometimes used to distinguish me from the other Johns in the family :eek: .

Our Xantia has 115,000km and developed a shuddery clutch from cold about 90,000km. Its only for the first couple of starts and you can almost drive around it. Not getting worse even 25K later. I asked the service people and they said to the effect that this might represent some uneven wear and did not necessarily mean disaster.

Trixie said:
Spooky - you referred to me as JohnW (?typo) which is what is sometimes used to distinguish me from the other Johns in the family :eek: .

Our Xantia has 115,000km and developed a shuddery clutch from cold about 90,000km. Its only for the first couple of starts and you can almost drive around it. Not getting worse even 25K later. I asked the service people and they said to the effect that this might represent some uneven wear and did not necessarily mean disaster.

Shuddery only for the first few applications after sitting ?? I'd say something leaks onto the clutch when you park the car up:

eg:
--coolant
--moisture (eg: from aircon)
--oil

The first few times you use the clutch you burn whatever has leaked onto it off.

seeya,
Shane L.

DoubleChevron said:
Shuddery only for the first few applications after sitting ?? I'd say something leaks onto the clutch when you park the car up:

eg:
--coolant
--moisture (eg: from aircon)
--oil

The first few times you use the clutch you burn whatever has leaked onto it off.

seeya,
Shane L.
I did wonder if it might be oil. But coolant? A/C condensation?

WHen I purchased our Xantia Wagon at 66000km, the clutch felt high, heavy and soft but it continued on until about 110000km. I think I compounded the problem by taking a fully loaded car and trailer on a camping trip and doing quite a few full power slippy gear changes so as not to lose too much speed going up hills.

Anyway, fitted new clutch myself (thats another story) at 110000 and now over 160000 and it still feels like new.

As for strut mounts, you can check the stretch on these by putting wheels facing straight ahead lifting the bonnet and putting a broom handle across above the strut caps. If there is 1cm between the handle and the strut mount they are OK, but if they are touching or close to touching, then I'd get them replaced pretty soon. I ended up doing my first set at about 130000km after one seemed to lose clearance pretty quickly.

Make sure you fix any leaks in the cooling system and keep the expansion bottle pretty full - that tends to keep the overall pressure in the system down and help the heater matrix from leaking.

Good luck with you new car - you should love it.

Ken W

AND IF YOU PARK OUTSIDE MAKE SURE YOU CLEAN OUT THE PASSENGER SIDE PLENUM CHAMBER DRAIN HOLE NOW AND THEN OR YOUR INTERIOR GETS SOAKED AND THE CARPETS TAKE 2 MONTHS TO DRY :evil:

Trixie said:

Actually confused you with another JohnW (I think). Picked the car up this arvo. The mechanic showed me the remnants of the clutch job. The clutch plate was still in pretty good shape, but the pressure plate had some 'burn' marks on it. He said there's no point putting an old plate back in with a new pressure plate. Boy does that clutch feel better!!! Have to train the Mrs to not to coast with her foot on the clutch - I'm sure this is putting undue pressure on the area.

Trixie, the K's are geniune (car purchased from dealer). I contacted the previous owner and confirmed the car history. Geez, I'm still trying to work my around chatrooms & would like to thank the person for the broom handle 'special tool' for checking strut activity. I'll tell the kids dad's off to sweep the engine.

Latest hurdle, the wagon rear door hatch electronic catch is not responding very well to the key unlocker. Any ideas (apparently a new catch is about $200 and is on its way from Sydney)? We have been perfectly aware of all the needs of the car and have a budgeted plan to make good. So far its a GREAT car!