Xantia fuel sender replacement

Swapped out the black 15 pin relay, beside the fuel injection ECU, (with one that was working 15 years ago when the spares car was dismantled) - no difference. Have also pushed down the inertia switch, though I don’t think it could have activated.
Do I remember correctly having been told that I should be able to hear the pump click / whirr in even when the key is turned to first step?

Pump should whir when you turn ignition on - when the dash lights up, but before you activate the starter. It only runs briefly to bring the pressure up, then stops until you hit the starter.

Thanks, no noise happening with any of the pumps I have.

Do you have a multimeter?
IMG_2916.jpg

This is a view of the pump underneath the connector. The two small, black outer wires go to the fuel gauge. The red and brown inner wires connect to the actual pump. If you were to briefly connect positive to the red one and negative to the black one the pump should spin. (Don't do that for too long without it being immersed in fuel - and don't make sparks near any fuel or fuel vapour.)

If you can find the matching parts of the connector (The red wire is nearer the door when the pump is installed) a multimeter or even a test light can tell you if there is any voltage getting to the connector. Connect up the multimeter (on VDC) to the two pins and have someone crank the engine. You should see approximately 12V.

If there is no power getting to the connector you definitely have a problem further upstream. Could be a relay issue or a fuse - though you've already done some work there.

If there is power at the connector and the pump works when connected directly to power, there must be an issue with the connector itself not contacting with the pins on the pump.

This may nail down at least where we need to look.

Thanks. Test light ( don’t remember the last time I used it) isn’t showing on the fuel gauge pin on the connector (gauge is working) nor the pump pin, so I’m off to town this afternoon to buy a multimeter.