Xantia Fuel economy

DoubleChevron

Real cars have hydraulics
VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Out of interest, what sort of fuel economy do you guys get out of you Xantias.

Last weekend I went to Mildura and back (about 1000kms) mostly highway and averaged 32mpg ... I would have been hoping for high 30's to low 40's. This was with the cruise control set to 110km/h and the air-con on.

Now driving there and back in the CX 2500 GTi Turbo consistantly returns 34mpg .... However it doesn't have air-con or cruise.... But still I'd expect a Xantia with a fraction of the power and speed to return much better fuel economy than a 20year old turbo charged CX :confused:

the car is an 8valve slugomatic. Are others getting considerably better than this ??

seeya,
Shane L.

DoubleChevron said:
Out of interest, what sort of fuel economy do you guys get out of you Xantias.

Last weekend I went to Mildura and back (about 1000kms) mostly highway and averaged 32mpg ... I would have been hoping for high 30's to low 40's. This was with the cruise control set to 110km/h and the air-con on.

Now driving there and back in the CX 2500 GTi Turbo consistantly returns 34mpg .... However it doesn't have air-con or cruise.... But still I'd expect a Xantia with a fraction of the power and speed to return much better fuel economy than a 20year old turbo charged CX :confused:

the car is an 8valve slugomatic. Are others getting considerably better than this ??

seeya,
Shane L.

Around the city I find them to be very firsty for a 4 cylinder,
between 9-13L per 100km
highway is much better more like 7.5-8L
take it into account mines a manual too and im a bit of a lead foot:drivin:

Shane,

We get about 10l per 100km out of our Xantia around town so long as the traffic is not too bad and about 7-8L per 100km on the highway in similar conditions to your trip. However, mine is a 16 valve manual which does have hight compression than an 8 valver.

Your auto should be operating with the torque converter locked up at that speed so it being an auto should not be a great influence I would have thought. Did it feel like it was locked up?

What sort of revs does an auto do at 110km/kr? Our manual does about 3200 rpm at that speed in Fifth Gear.

What sort of consumption do you get around town?

Was there a big headwind, no roofrack with stuff on top I presume.

Maybe you need to get the O2 sensor performance / mixture checked.

Where you using PULP or better petrol?

Does your ECU light go out as soon as engine fires?

Ken W :cheers:

I get around 9 - 10L/100 klms around town and about 7.5 on a trip although I did once get 6.8 over a couple of hundred klms using Optimax.
Worst consumption I ever got was when I tried it on standard ULP although I filled up on 95 octane the other week and was pleasantly surprised by the results.

Alan S

Xantia 2.0i 8 valve slugbox:
9 l/100 km in suburban driving.
7.5 l/100 km on freeway.

When using low octane petrol, the car drinks it faster.
I think that Mobil has a policy of keeping RON 95 within 5¢ of RON 92.

My onboard computer is in overload mode. Shanes original question was in MPG and yet everyone has answered in metric. Can we please standardise 'cause I can't do the maths.
Thanks
Mike
PS and don't come back with any complicated conversion formulas OK?

I'm going to come back with another different measurement type as litres per 100Km is alien to me too :crazy:

I only ever do around town driving and I've been struggling to hit 10Km / litre. Typically I get 8 to 10Km / litre which is more thirsty than my 2 litre manual Honda accord (manual) used to be :(

So I think they are a bit on the thirsty side.

Regards,
Simon

Thanks Guys,

do you use the cruise control. This is the first time I've ever bothered use it ... I'm thinking possibly it's whats cost me the economy. Every slight hill/gradient is cracking the throttle wide open... You can feel it constantly surging to add the 2km/h back on it's dropping. Constant accellerator adjustment will also use lots of fuel. Everytime you move the accellerator it richens the mixture.

I'll start with the air-cleaner I think. Everything works perfectly on the car, slugomatic is fine and appears to lock into top. It run on standard ULP up there and PULP running back. As always I could pick no difference and the economy was identical.

seeya,
Shane L.

Shane,

I've found on our 16 valve, that after a tank of ULP, the engine runs like a dog for about the next 3 tankfuls of PULP until the ECU finally recognises the better petrol and advances the ignition back. The best way to sort this is to reset the ECU by disconnect the battery for 10 minutes of so.

Perhaps you could try this with yours and see if it that works too.

Ken W

Thanks Ken,

I'll try that ... The problem is the motor runs perfectly ... :confused: :confused: Sure it's slow (it is a 1.9litre motor pulling dragging a 1500kg lump of metal around through a slugomatic gearbox)... It does run well though, and really seems to hit a power band at 4500-6500rpm.

The fact you guys can pick the difference between fuels and I can't possibly points to it not advancing the ignition when better fuel in put in the tank ?

seeya,
Shane L.

Mpg

Shane, when I drove my xantia back from Sydney last weekend I got 38 mpg, slugomatic, aircon on auto, 100-110 klm all the way. One half hour period at 5-10 klm on hume leading up to roadworks.
Dom :cheers:

Shane,

The only difference I found in mine when I went to ULP was that it pinged as I hit the gas pedal just a 'craaack' and I could almost see the needle drop on the fuel gauge.

Alan S

More info...

Car had just been serviced,new air filter,plugs, synthetic eng.oil(if it makes a difference???) no Cruise control car is 8 valver , filled it with PULP just me & over night bag. I think you are right about cruise controls. my experience is they are constantly kicking down the auto on hills & increasig engine speed when without it youd let the car slow then increase speed on the down hill run.
Dom :)

Our 8 valve manual (Optimax) gets:

Country cruising 110km.h: 35mpg plus (8l/100km)
Spirited driving open road: 30-33mpg (8.5-9.5)
Outer urban running: 24.5mpg (11.5)
Inner urban with a/c 23.5mpg (12)

Best ever is 38mpg (7.4), worst 21mpg (13.5)

mpg x l/100km = 282

Thanks Trixie,

yours is nearly a sister car to mine, so the economy I'm getting actually sounds about right :disappr: I'd consider using the cruise control definatly as "spririted driving" particually the way it constantly surging the car forward in an effort to sit on exactly the speed it's set too.

Strange as it sounds, short of open ride driving without cruise control the old CX appears to return very similar fuel economy figures. I guess it's in the weight and gearing. The old CX is rolling along at 2200rpm @ 100km/h effortlessly, where as the Xantia has the throttle open much wider at 3000rpm. Remembering they probably weight about the same. The Xantia is most certainly NOT a light weight like the BX. With the same driving (same motor) in the BX we used to consistantly return about 44mpg.

seeya,
Shane L.

DoubleChevron said:
Thanks Trixie,

yours is nearly a sister car to mine, so the economy I'm getting actually sounds about right :disappr: I'd consider using the cruise control definatly as "spririted driving" particually the way it constantly surging the car forward in an effort to sit on exactly the speed it's set too.

Strange as it sounds, short of open ride driving without cruise control the old CX appears to return very similar fuel economy figures. I guess it's in the weight and gearing. The old CX is rolling along at 2200rpm @ 100km/h effortlessly, where as the Xantia has the throttle open much wider at 3000rpm. Remembering they probably weight about the same. The Xantia is most certainly NOT a light weight like the BX. With the same driving (same motor) in the BX we used to consistantly return about 44mpg.

seeya,
Shane L.
When you drive them, they feel very economical - the easy low-down torque and the fact you can change up under 3000rpm and still keep up. And you hardly ever see the red side of 4000. The quoted kerb weight is 1238kg (the C4 1.6 is apparently 1200kg :eek: ). Then again the gearing is low-ish and I tend to drive briskly.

I suspect if I bothered to try I could get very good economy but....

Reminds me of my Dad who was crowing about getting something like 46mpg from his Saab 9-3 Syd-Adelaide. I asked him if he enlisted any special techiniques and he told me his secret was to sit on 80km/h :(

Wow thats some pretty good figures. I reckon in the VR 3.8L 6cyl Commodore gets about 16+L/100 km (could be alot higher I reckon?) in the inner city!
I havent had the time to work it out because I dont drive the car for a duration of a whole tank so i cant really calculate it accurately.

Pretty good figures on the Xantia though especially its a "older" PSA motor. What other cars did the 8v motor feature in?

Stalled

No cruise control, and the car does ping with ULP 92, but the exhaust sounds like there's plenty of ignition timing advance.
The quality of petrol seems to vary depending on where you are.

Trixie said:
When you drive them, they feel very economical - the easy low-down torque and the fact you can change up under 3000rpm and still keep up. And you hardly ever see the red side of 4000. The quoted kerb weight is 1238kg (the C4 1.6 is apparently 1200kg :eek: ). Then again the gearing is low-ish and I tend to drive briskly.

I suspect if I bothered to try I could get very good economy but....

Reminds me of my Dad who was crowing about getting something like 46mpg from his Saab 9-3 Syd-Adelaide. I asked him if he enlisted any special techiniques and he told me his secret was to sit on 80km/h :(

Yeah I remember my first trip across the Nullabour in 1967 with an EH and trailer 30mpg average (I was in the back seat) 100km/h was a rare event. Sorry, I go to sleep really fast at 80km/h, a little less at 110 and don't have a problem at 130.
Cheers
Mike