Xantia clutch shudder

IWS

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
I've recently updgraded :) ! from a 505 to a Year 2000 model manual Xantia.

I'm very happy with it except for one thing. I find the clutch has a high take up point and either shudders or grabs when taking off in first (result of the latter is that I frequently stall - much to the amusement of my offspring!).

Is this the normal character of the Xantia clutch or am I looking at some problem with the the clutch?

Ian.

IWS said:
I've recently updgraded :) ! from a 505 to a Year 2000 model manual Xantia.

I'm very happy with it except for one thing. I find the clutch has a high take up point and either shudders or grabs when taking off in first (result of the latter is that I frequently stall - much to the amusement of my offspring!).

Is this the normal character of the Xantia clutch or am I looking at some problem with the the clutch?

Ian.

Sounds to me like oil on the clutch (possibly coolant ??).

seeya,
shane L.

DoubleChevron said:
Sounds to me like oil on the clutch (possibly coolant ??).

seeya,
shane L.

Thanks for that pointer.

Before I took delivery of the car the heater core was replaced as it was leaking badly. Could coolant have leaked from tha onto the clutch?

Ian.

Your lucky this was done before you took delivery. From what im told it is a nightmare job any man hours....:cry:

How many kays have you done since you took delivery? Was it doing this when you first test drove it? Sounds like the car has been sitting for a long while and needs a good fang to clean up the drive plate.

Oil or coolant would make the cluch slip not grab (I would have thought).

graham66 said:
How many kays have you done since you took delivery? Was it doing this when you first test drove it? Sounds like the car has been sitting for a long while and needs a good fang to clean up the drive plate.

Oil or coolant would make the cluch slip not grab (I would have thought).

It also makes clutch shudder when the clutch is contaminated. I find cars that have sat a while (even after I've freed up there stuck clutch plate) don't judder. Rather you can hear cleary the grating/hiss of the friction plate touching the rusty flywheel surface area. It soon clears up and doesn't cause clutch shudder in my experiance.

You heater matrix is inside the car, it can't leak onto the clutch from that location.

seeya,
Shane L.

DoubleChevron said:
You heater matrix is inside the car, it can't leak onto the clutch from that location.

seeya,
Shane L.

ANYTHING is possible in a Citroen!:D

What ever the cause, it will have to come off to be repaired properly. I'd more suspect a worn plate and a badly burnt/cracked flywheel face, due to an incompetent driver.

What about a tranmission mount. I had a shudder when pulling away. Got it checked out and the response was "uneven clutch wear". I found that the transmission mount was not tight enough.