WTD: 205 GTI rear beam tube

I'd cut and shut a 306 beam if you can't find one.

Hey mate, I am interested. Can you please confirm that:
1. It is a GTI beam (larger diameter beam that the SI beam)
2. The beam is in good condition (no damage where the bearings seat on the beam). A pic would be tops!

Cheers

Yes can confirm its a 1.9 gti rear beam. Will send pics. My number is 0430205289

I'd cut and shut a 306 beam if you can't find one.

Hi peter
Re the above, what are the advantages of a 306 cut beam over the 205's?
I have an 87 still with the drum brakes. It'll be going Mi16 at some point. Obviously the 306 beam will be discs but are the bearings etc different/ better?
Cheers
Martin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There are lots of good 306 beams around but not many 205 beams. Eventually you'll need to do something different when 205 supply dries up. Shortening a 306 beam is one example. Repair welding and re-machining a 205 beam is another. 306 beams are otherwise identical.

Yep, I had to buy a complete car to get a usable beam. Trouble is people keep driving with stuffed bearings until the shaft wears through the inner and outer races of the bearings then into the main tube.
Rust is also a problem

There are lots of good 306 beams around but not many 205 beams. Eventually you'll need to do something different when 205 supply dries up. Shortening a 306 beam is one example. Repair welding and re-machining a 205 beam is another. 306 beams are otherwise identical.
How much wider is a 306 tube compared to a 205 tube?

Sent from my GT-I9305T using aussiefrogs mobile app