Wish I lived in the UK

HONG KONG PUGGY

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Only joking But :( :cry: :( To Renault for importing the "left-overs" to us in the past.

Just looked at www.renautl21turbo.com and looked at the for sales. :cry: DO NOT do this....it will only upset you greatly. Saw a Clio turbo(aftermarket) and wow. close to 200hp in an old clio(3800 quid)....or a 21 quadra good for at least 14 sec 1/4.

Makes you want to move (may-be)

Chris

Mate, the UK's great. Despite the rusty car stories, there are still plenty of good 'uns, especially later models as the rust this has almost been banished. In a recent Practical Classics, one of the journos picked up a good Alfa Romeo 33 1.7 Green Cloverleaf for GBP350! Even though they are supposedly not the best, this thing looked really good, with no rust, and he proceeded to take it to France on a trip. Imagine that here for under $1K?

Stuey

orange17 said:
Makes you want to move (may-be)

Chris

No way! Its a cold, grey, miserable and overcrowded place full of whinging poms and terrible cricket players. But it does make me want to go back on a holiday and bring home some goodies, like a shipping crate full of R21T bits. The early ones are now 15 years old too. :D

No way! Its a cold, grey, miserable and overcrowded place full of whinging poms and terrible cricket players. But it does make me want to go back on a holiday and bring home some goodies, like a shipping crate full of R21T bits. The early ones are now 15 years old too. :D
Your description of the UK seemingly missed out our small country of Wales located in the original South Wales part of the UK, its also very wet and windy and full of mountains and valleys! Now that coal mining has ceased in South Wales where we mined and exported Anthracite to all corners of the Globe, our remaining Steel Works is currently under imminent threat of closure by Mr Tata.
Our difficult terrain makes us generally all good rally drivers and with some showing an aptitude for playing International Rugby with an odd shaped ball. Luckily we are not so good a cricket either as finding a suitable flat surface in the valleys precludes this.
With so much rainfall and the use of rock salt on the roads in Winter, all our imported cars from period would rust away before your eyes, so the breaker yards had a large choice good low mileage Renaults for spares.
This proved to be an invaluable source of engines such as R16 [2], R17 Gordini [1565cc 1605cc[ R5Gordinis [6] and their transaxles.
My First Rally car was built in 1976 from a 1964 Dauphine 1090 12v, with all ex works[ crashed in Wales] A110 suspension, R8G rear axles, R10 1300 330Tranny, R17G motor on 2x 40DCOE Webers Alpine 1600 4 branch manifold. 5.5J Cosmic wheels and R16 Front Brakes [ex Alpine] Front Radiator and so on. I guess it was a watered down Welsh Queron copy.

Next I built the "Rimp" a 1974 Hillman Imp bare shell donated to me and I fitted it with a 1647cc Fuego motor mated to an R16 336 box and Imp van rear suspension, this was after going to the Davrian Factory in Lampeter in 1981 with a friend who purchased the very last Mk8 Imp Based Davrian shell, I spent the time under Tim Duffee1s R17G powered Mk 8 stage rally car and I copied his rear suspension set up for my Rimp.
Next along came a brace of Belgian Racing Yellow 1136 R8s models, which both had the above Gp4 treatment.

My Current car is an R8G 1135 built under license in South Africa at the Nissan plant in 1969, it was bogo std when I got it in 2005 but now its sporting a 1700cc Salv Sacco R5G Cleon stroker unit with all the trick rocker gear etc.
Its been significantly lightened, for hillclimbs and sprinting, which seems to suit the car and driver, the Mk2 353 box has been upgraded to a Quaife ATB diff[336] Ex Nigel Hollier bespoke ratios made in France by Tony Dalmoulin.
Brakes are Steve Swan big VW fronts and my VW Bora 2.0l TDI big alloy rears. Servo removed.
Front tank remains, but its a larger Suzuki Ignis steel unit so I can drive to Europe and around the UK to Events with a good amount of fuel on board, the front rad is 3 row A110 style with 2 x R16 heater fans.
Wheels are UK made Image Alpine 6J x 13 front and 7.0 x13 rears.
Wings are copies of the Spanish big arched versions and these came off the Goodwood Race R8g.

I am building a Twingo RS 133 1598cc K4M VVT twin cam unit at the moment, which remarkably bolts straight to the R10 330 1289cc bellhousing with the std 4 studs, it also takes a R5G Cleon flywheel / 180mm clutch as well. When you compare both blocks its easy to read the Sierra block DNA in the K4M last iteration of this block, the Boss for the alternator /Dynamo is still present which blew me away. This boss was vertically tapped and the slightly modified R8 engine support member bolted to that side of the block, a small length of 30mm x300 steel angle was bolted to the lower block where lots of M10 treaded bosses are present Its so simple to install.

In production Renault changed the later blocks design so the starter in the R16 Position and not in the R8
position, so I have sourced a stock of early Megan block with the R8 style starter position, a lot of work just to swap over these blocks. All internals are the same.
Cranks have smaller [non-Turbo ] Mains and the Rods have ARP style fitted conrod bolts, and oil sprayers to the underside of the pistons are also now on these blocks.
Final issue I see is the cast alloy sump is some -30mm lower to the ground that the the R5GTT sump I use as the chain drive oil pump is located in the sump.

I have since found some U Tube of French Guys running these motors they seem to rev very well.
I have fabricated the 2x 45DCOE inlet manifold, and would you believe the A110 1600 exhaust manifold fits as well
[ oval inlet / exhaust ports in the head] only a few exhaust studs needed tapping into the head some were common!

The exciting bit is the engine coolant path is crossflow through the head and block unlike the R5G set up, which should promote better cooling , the liners are cast into the block like a Ford 4 cylinder Block with numerous core plugs in the water jacket, revealing great gaps around the cylinders, Head gaskets are laminated steel sheets.
The Valves are close to Dauphine Gordini in diameter and length, operated by roller rockers and hydraulic tappets, just like its big brother Megan 225 motor/ Williams Clio etc.

All it needs now is the exhaust cam adaptor to be fabricated to drive the Mk1 VW Golf 1600cc points Dizzy anticlockwise from the rear of the Exhaust cam, all this fits comfortably below the R8 parcel shelf.

Good the Rain has just stopped for a while.

Merry Christmas to all or as we say in Wales "Nadolig LLawen".

Dave Wheeler

Your description of the UK seemingly missed out our small country of Wales located in the original South Wales part of the UK, its also very wet and windy and full of mountains and valleys! Now that coal mining has ceased in South Wales where we mined and exported Anthracite to all corners of the Globe, our remaining Steel Works is currently under imminent threat of closure by Mr Tata.
Our difficult terrain makes us generally all good rally drivers and with some showing an aptitude for playing International Rugby with an odd shaped ball. Luckily we are not so good a cricket either as finding a suitable flat surface in the valleys precludes this.
With so much rainfall and the use of rock salt on the roads in Winter, all our imported cars from period would rust away before your eyes, so the breaker yards had a large choice good low mileage Renaults for spares.
This proved to be an invaluable source of engines such as R16 [2], R17 Gordini [1565cc 1605cc[ R5Gordinis [6] and their transaxles.
My First Rally car was built in 1976 from a 1964 Dauphine 1090 12v, with all ex works[ crashed in Wales] A110 suspension, R8G rear axles, R10 1300 330Tranny, R17G motor on 2x 40DCOE Webers Alpine 1600 4 branch manifold. 5.5J Cosmic wheels and R16 Front Brakes [ex Alpine] Front Radiator and so on. I guess it was a watered down Welsh Queron copy.

Next I built the "Rimp" a 1974 Hillman Imp bare shell donated to me and I fitted it with a 1647cc Fuego motor mated to an R16 336 box and Imp van rear suspension, this was after going to the Davrian Factory in Lampeter in 1981 with a friend who purchased the very last Mk8 Imp Based Davrian shell, I spent the time under Tim Duffee1s R17G powered Mk 8 stage rally car and I copied his rear suspension set up for my Rimp.
Next along came a brace of Belgian Racing Yellow 1136 R8s models, which both had the above Gp4 treatment.

My Current car is an R8G 1135 built under license in South Africa at the Nissan plant in 1969, it was bogo std when I got it in 2005 but now its sporting a 1700cc Salv Sacco R5G Cleon stroker unit with all the trick rocker gear etc.
Its been significantly lightened, for hillclimbs and sprinting, which seems to suit the car and driver, the Mk2 353 box has been upgraded to a Quaife ATB diff[336] Ex Nigel Hollier bespoke ratios made in France by Tony Dalmoulin.
Brakes are Steve Swan big VW fronts and my VW Bora 2.0l TDI big alloy rears. Servo removed.
Front tank remains, but its a larger Suzuki Ignis steel unit so I can drive to Europe and around the UK to Events with a good amount of fuel on board, the front rad is 3 row A110 style with 2 x R16 heater fans.
Wheels are UK made Image Alpine 6J x 13 front and 7.0 x13 rears.
Wings are copies of the Spanish big arched versions and these came off the Goodwood Race R8g.

I am building a Twingo RS 133 1598cc K4M VVT twin cam unit at the moment, which remarkably bolts straight to the R10 330 1289cc bellhousing with the std 4 studs, it also takes a R5G Cleon flywheel / 180mm clutch as well. When you compare both blocks its easy to read the Sierra block DNA in the K4M last iteration of this block, the Boss for the alternator /Dynamo is still present which blew me away. This boss was vertically tapped and the slightly modified R8 engine support member bolted to that side of the block, a small length of 30mm x300 steel angle was bolted to the lower block where lots of M10 treaded bosses are present Its so simple to install.

In production Renault changed the later blocks design so the starter in the R16 Position and not in the R8
position, so I have sourced a stock of early Megan block with the R8 style starter position, a lot of work just to swap over these blocks. All internals are the same.
Cranks have smaller [non-Turbo ] Mains and the Rods have ARP style fitted conrod bolts, and oil sprayers to the underside of the pistons are also now on these blocks.
Final issue I see is the cast alloy sump is some -30mm lower to the ground that the the R5GTT sump I use as the chain drive oil pump is located in the sump.

I have since found some U Tube of French Guys running these motors they seem to rev very well.
I have fabricated the 2x 45DCOE inlet manifold, and would you believe the A110 1600 exhaust manifold fits as well
[ oval inlet / exhaust ports in the head] only a few exhaust studs needed tapping into the head some were common!

The exciting bit is the engine coolant path is crossflow through the head and block unlike the R5G set up, which should promote better cooling , the liners are cast into the block like a Ford 4 cylinder Block with numerous core plugs in the water jacket, revealing great gaps around the cylinders, Head gaskets are laminated steel sheets.
The Valves are close to Dauphine Gordini in diameter and length, operated by roller rockers and hydraulic tappets, just like its big brother Megan 225 motor/ Williams Clio etc.

All it needs now is the exhaust cam adaptor to be fabricated to drive the Mk1 VW Golf 1600cc points Dizzy anticlockwise from the rear of the Exhaust cam, all this fits comfortably below the R8 parcel shelf.

Good the Rain has just stopped for a while.

Merry Christmas to all or as we say in Wales "Nadolig LLawen".

Dave Wheeler
DAVE. between you and Steven, you have always kept me excited about modified Renaults and keeping the classics moving FAST. If I had of stayed in the UK I would have been playing as well. Although now in Perth, West Aus. I work on a lot of good stuff anyhow.

Take Care,
Ray

saw a story on the hintermet thingy the other day - very nice 16TS in UK, had an under bonnet fire and was completely rebuilt from the windscreen forward - sold for mid 11 thousand quid....