Who is John Cadogan?

turbofiat124

Fellow Frogger
So I watching some YouTube videos last night and you know how random related videos pop up to the side so I had to watch it. I'm not familiar with John Cadogan but he had this video on the top lemons sold in Australia. He could have condensed this 20 minute video into 5 minutes by simply getting to the point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVxxPMh1oUk

Anyway I was surprised that he said Peugeot and Citroen only sold around 100 cars per year (each company?) in Australia? Surely he said or meant per month. I'd have to go back and watch the video.

I realize the car buying population is much smaller in Australia than the United States but "100" seems to be the magic number when it comes to the nail in the coffin. Whenever a foreign car company only sells 100 cars per month, they know it's game over and it's time to leave. If domestic, they drop the car from production.

Don't quote me on this but seems like Peugeot were only selling 100 cars per month in 1991 when they pulled out of the US market. I'm wanting to say it was the 405 which was the only model they sold in the US. Same thing happened with Alfa Romeo around 1994 with their 155 and Spider lineup.

How can a car company justify selling this small amount of cars in country and still find it profitable?

Maybe it's just harder to get into the US market with our strict regulations and pressure from mafia style auto unions when it comes to selling imported cars in the US.

Daihatsu was one of those companies with a short run. They were only here for about four years from 1989 to around 1993. They sold the Charade and the Rocky. They seemed to do well at first here and have done well in other countries but for some reason sales dropped here.

Of course what people buy always seems to follow the price of petrol. When petrol goes up, people stop buying large cars and SUVs, when petrol goes down, they stop buying small cars.

Which makes no sense. If your going to spend US$70,000 on a luxury SUV then why bitch about the price of petrol it takes to feed it? My 1998 Chevy van get's horrible gas mileage but I didn't pay that much for it used and it still runs fine for it's age and mileage.

When gas hit a record high of $4.45 for a US gallon back in 2007, the only car GM seemed to be selling was the Chevrolet Cobalt which I once owned. The market was saturated with these cars. Then to make matters worse, the market was also flooded with SUVs that nobody wanted because gas was so high.

Anyway, I'll have to say he is right about modern cars. I'm afraid to buy anything new that has been in production within the past 5 to 10 years with all this electronic touch screen gizmos they put on cars today. I'm afraid I won't be able to troubleshoot or fix the car myself and have to pay out the nose for the dealership to fix it.

I've been lucky so far. I have not had to depend on the dealership to repair my 2003 Subaru I bought new. I've replaced one of the inner CV joint boots and an oxygen sensor and that's it. The car only has 78,000 miles/125,000 KM on it which is actually low for a 2003 model. Most Subaru built in 2003 have well over 400,000 KM by now.

My Chevy van needs my attention every now and then. The last repair was a front brake job and a power steering hose that was spewing fluid but both were an easy and cheap fix.

People think I am nuts keeping my old cars on the road but they are easy to repair and even though I may have to order parts directly from Europe for some of them, they are not really that expensive to maintain compared to more modern cars.

One car that sticks out in my mind as being of the worst cars my family ever owned is the mk2 Chrysler minivan for one reason.

The mk1 "shortys" introduced in 1984 had a Chrysler 2.2 liter engine (some had turbos) with either a 3 speed automatic or 5 speed manual. Then later Chrysler started using Mitsubishi drive trains. The engines were not that bad, the problem was they used Mitsubishi's "shit-box" 4 speed automatic and no manual option. You could bet at 60,000 miles/96,000 KM the transmission was going to fail and sure enough they did. Once at 60,000 miles then again at 120,000 miles. Dad sold the van to one of his friends and when the transmission went out the 3rd time, it went to the junkyard like all the rest of them did.

To this day I am skeptical of anything Mitsubishi produces just because of these shit box transmissions they put in these vans. Even their TVs.

John Cadogan runs a business buying cars for people, and of course clipping the ticket. He has a way with words, particularly the colourful insult or simile. He reviews cars as well, though I find his review criteria as odd as some of the other journalists. Whether he clips more on some makes than others is for you to speculate. I was surprised to see his very positive 2014 Citroen YT - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyBi7KPlsGU

He's a car 'expert'. I'm pretty sure he gave himself that title.

He said the Citroen C4 Grand Picasso was a great car, but he couldn't recommend it to anyone because it's a Citroen. He's also said the easiest way to tell a dud from a good car is by which side of the steering wheel the indicator stalk is on. I don't like him, I find him arrogant, and more arrogant.

I just don't like him.

The way he parts his hair is a dead give away. :rolleyes:

Arrogant, opinionated and most forgettable.:wink2:

As a buyer of cheap, used Citroens, I have to thank him.

John

Daihatsu was one of those companies with a short run. They were only here for about four years from 1989 to around 1993. They sold the Charade and the Rocky. They seemed to do well at first here and have done well in other countries but for some reason sales dropped here.
Daihatsu were here in the 70's and probably the 60's. I bought a new F10 4wd in 1976.

Daihatsu were here in the 70's and probably the 60's. I bought a new F10 4wd in 1976.

TurboFiat 124 lives in the States.

That was what he was referring to that market.

Daihatsu lost the plot in the mid 1990s as they decided to go with the Japanese market trend where all the vehicles were suddenly very tall and narrow 'the tallboy' trend. Whilst it may have been popular at home, buyers in Australia (and obviously the States) stayed away in droves. By the time Daihatsu moved on from that philosophy, Toyota was calling the shots, and pulled that lovely old marque from both our shores. Shame.

Dave

Last edited:
John Cardogan is actually an automotive engineer, so knows what he is talking about.

Yes, he is a showman (and has a side concern of getting you the best price on a new car from any manufacturer) and has shown to be totally fearless. It should be said at this point that no one has to sign up to his 'shop' or is obliged to use his buying services.

VW has a history of wining and dining motoring hacks in Australia (and I'm guessing the US too), lending their tasty sports versions for extended periods (whilst covering tyres/brake pads/servicing/petrol "Have fun guys!"), hoping (and getting) a friendly story minimising the exhaust (ahem) issues, faulty DSGs, oil slurping GTI engines etc.

John Cardogan calls them out on this in Australia and has for a long time. He has gone to town on the Australian motoring press for awarding the latest VW Tiguan COTY (or whatever award it was) despite serious concerns about the viability of the company, future fines, and appalling resale. For a press who have in the past dismissed French cars due to their lack of resale value, they have shown themselves to be at the very least hypocrites. Basically any VW vehicle fitted with a DSG between the mid 2000s till now is an unknown quantity, with no guarantees that any fixes to a flawed design are any better.

John Cardogan also owns a 2013 RS Clio as his weekend toy. He understands...

Dave

John Cardogan is actually an automotive engineer, so knows what he is talking about.

Yes, he is a showman (and has a side concern of getting you the best price on a new car from any manufacturer) and has shown to be totally fearless. It should be said at this point that no one has to sign up to his 'shop' or is obliged to use his buying services.

VW has a history of wining and dining motoring hacks in Australia (and I'm guessing the US too), lending their tasty sports versions for extended periods (whilst covering tyres/brake pads/servicing/petrol "Have fun guys!"), hoping (and getting) a friendly story minimising the exhaust (ahem) issues, faulty DSGs, oil slurping GTI engines etc.

John Cardogan calls them out on this in Australia and has for a long time. He has gone to town on the Australian motoring press for awarding the latest VW Tiguan COTY (or whatever award it was) despite serious concerns about the viability of the company, future fines, and appalling resale. For a press who have in the past dismissed French cars due to their lack of resale value, they have shown themselves to be at the very least hypocrites. Basically any VW vehicle fitted with a DSG between the mid 2000s till now is an unknown quantity, with no guarantees that any fixes to a flawed design are any better.

John Cardogan also owns a 2013 RS Clio as his weekend toy. He understands...

Dave

Ask yourself what are the cars he recommends to purchase ? Almost exclusively Mazda or Hyundai.
As the late Alan Smith would say .. follow the money.

Current VW Dsgs are as reliable and as cost effective as any slush box alternatives. And often cheaper to repair by an non dealer.

Read VW water cooled for real life owners experiences. Which are currently overwhelmingly good.

JC may be an engineer , but that does not guantee his bona fides or lack of bias.

And his aggressive and uncouth manner may impress some, but not me.

The internet is full of "experts". Caveat emptor is equally valid to these as to to retail.

Peugeot Australia had an abysmal year, but still managed 3,129 sales (down from 4000 in 2015 and its smallest annual sales figure since 2001) - which is almost 261 cars a month.

Citroën sold 965 cars here in 2016 (down from 1106 in 2015).

One could conclude that the local importer — Sime Darby — clearly has no idea how to sell cars here.

Renault sold 11,109 cars here in 2016 (vs 11,525 in 2015). The Renault commercials alone sold more than the Peugeot, Citroën and DS models combined.

I'm of the opinion that John Cadogan is a @#$%&!. He certainly strives (and thrives) on coming across that way :)

Ask yourself what are the cars he recommends to purchase ? Almost exclusively Mazda or Hyundai.
As the late Alan Smith would say .. follow the money.

Current VW Dsgs are as reliable and as cost effective as any slush box alternatives. And often cheaper to repair by an non dealer.

Read VW water cooled for real life owners experiences. Which are currently overwhelmingly good.

JC may be an engineer , but that does not guantee his bona fides or lack of bias.

And his aggressive and uncouth manner may impress some, but not me.

The internet is full of "experts". Caveat emptor is equally valid to these as to to retail.

VW fanbois are constantly in denial.

"I have only had two transmission rebuilds so my car is awesome..."

I drive a Santa Fe at work. Great car. Compared to our work Territory it is a quantum leap forward.

I don't support JC either way. I don't mind his style, as he had to differentiate himself from the myriad of other talking heads on the internet. He has a big following in the USA too (hence his recent references to gasoline over the term petrol).

You don't have to watch his videos...

Dave

You don't have to watch his videos...

I don't .

And Try reading the VW forums where the grass roots info is, before rehashing what some second rate internet car journo espouses.

He is doing these youtube videos as a business, so his method of differentiation is what it is and its seems to be working so more power to him.

His opinion of VW is not so much based on build quality or reliability, its their corporate arsehattery and shit support. I support his views and would not touch a VW product on principle. (about 3500 people have died prematuraly as a result of their emissions fraud).

My experiences match his. Sth Korea makes excellent products these days, and most of the mainstream stuff is good (I actually quite like getting current model Corollas as rentals, I like their chassis tune and they're quite chuckable). He also garnered points by talking up Citroen now that they're backing their product with proper warranties to overcome the reputation.

I must say I'm a fan of his YouTube videos. He's outrageous, blokes humour abound and he sounds like a smart arse, but as noted in this thread, he is an engineer who knows his stuff and is media friendly.

His advice on which cars to stay away from generally come from aged engineering (Captiva), market share (Citroen, Peugeot, Alfa, etc), poor engineering (Chery) or after sales service (Holden, VW).

He hates VW for its diesel emissions scam which I think was overblown in the US but nevertheless was a scam designed to promote tough rules knowing you can pass them rather than promote rules for better emissions. It was corporate dishonesty. A scam.

i support his view that we're poorly served in Australia by a lack of US style lemon law and market overcrowding (the latter could be resolved by Japanese style registration rules but since we mostly own older cars here, I don't think many of us would agree).

His opinion on brands with low market share is that they might be fine cars but they're for enthusiasts (like us) and not for your average driver. No argument there.

My experiences match his. Sth Korea makes excellent products these days, and most of the mainstream stuff is good (I actually quite like getting current model Corollas as rentals, I like their chassis tune and they're quite chuckable). He also garnered points by talking up Citroen now that they're backing their product with proper warranties to overcome the reputation.

I agree with you. The later Corollas and the i30 I've driven a few times recently are better than average - great for daily use if you value cars as a means of reliable, affordable transport.