White smoke after timing belt replacement

Certainly sounds like a cylinder head problem. All the symptoms point to it. Nothing to do with your timing belt replacement, unless they also replaced the water pump and failed to refill it or bleed it well enough.

Ben it looks to me like you should get a second opinion by a proper mechanic. People just guessing on here will only confuse you and waste a lot of time and possibly more money on things that do not fix it.

Following your look in the inlet manifold and seeing a lot of oil, my guess would be this. The PCV system which burns the oily fumes from the crankcase by feeding them into the inlet system has malfunctioned. Because of this it is sucking a lot of oil into the inlet and burning it, hence the smoke. These engines have plastic corrugated hoses and small plastic hoses that can split and leak air when old, and if they are disturbed when working on the engine. I would look behind the engine and under the plastic cover and look carefully at all the external hoses and tubes. If they suck air from the outside that will stop the correct operation of the pollution reduction system and the oil will not be separated from the air flow and go into the engine.

Note this is a guess and a hands on look at the engine is required to trouble shoot it by a person who knows what is right or faulty.
Jaahn
Note to old time tinkerers a catalytic converter will burn off a lot of oil and fuel and crap and you do not know what came out of the engine before it after it heats up. The old ideas of colours are not very valid now.

It may not be directly related with the timing belt replacement, but as the problem started immediately after work on the car, I'm going with Jaahn. Something has been accidentally altered or screwed up while that work was done. Valve stem seals don't go suddenly, and though it may be a coincident problem with the head gasket, if you look at the entire problem in detail, what Jaahn says rings true.