Which year of the N5 306 is best?

I don't know about "best" but August 1999 build date and newer are the N5 Update models (like mine) with the crystal headlights and revised bumpers etc.

From N5 update you get the 2.0L 100kw engine as well :)

Derek

Kristian,

are you sure? NTRX's GTI-6 came out in 1998. Surely there must be some N3 GTI-6's out there.

I thought they were the S16(N3) of which the GTi6(N5) is the younger big brother

Yah, all GTi6's are N5 and all the S16's in Australia are N3. Supposedly, there were a few N5 S16's but none made it to Australia... I could be wrong.

Rich

Apparently the 1997 was the year the N5 upgrade to the 306 came out. I have been told that the very 1st GTI-6's in 1997 might have still been N3. (2 airbags, and older style headlights).

Yeah, thats right. There is a GTI6 review in the archive section which is the N3 with GTI6 running gear and badging, but we never saw it. The model was changed to the N5 chassie before we got delivery.

None except some electrcial quirks that I'm trying to identify what's causing them.

Read my post 306 Electricals in General Section looks like mine is the odd one out in this regard.

We never got a N5 GTi6, but they did exist overseas. The Gti6 in the lot at Gladesville Prestige Cars is the first GTi6 sold in Oz, I've been eyeing it :D

Lincon(gti124) does mean N3 Gti-6, he's right though when we say that as far a yard sold cars, all GTi-6's were N5, the S16's here are all N3,..
In the UK, they have N3/N5 S16's and Gti-6's.. some did land here in 2001 as S16's but were just wrongly badged gti-6's as S16's,... most dealers will deny this happened but i saw 1 of the actual cars at B&C,.. it never made it past the yard with the S16 badge on the side. shame, would have a nice unique 1-off collectors.
As far as best N5 306, id say late 2001 N5 GTi-6, as they ad all the features, crystal head lights, tastefull chrome badging, colour-coding and the last of a Pug legend..... nice in Blue or Silver.
cheers chris

GTI124:
We never got a N5 GTi6, but they did exist overseas. The Gti6 in the lot at Gladesville Prestige Cars is the first GTi6 sold in Oz, I've been eyeing it :D
is that the diablo red one with 140k's on it for $18000 ???

if so my old man saw it the the other week and said it was a very nice car which is something coming from him as he hates hatches

N5's started late 97, when the 16v motors became available in the XR and XT. Different grille etc.

BW205:
pugrambo:

Is your GTi-6 a N5 or a N3?? and what month???

Cheers
Billy :D
mine is an N5 and was first registered in feb98
as for build date i'd have to go outside to look and it's too cold right now
as far as i know there were a couple of N3's with GTi-6 bits in them that were passed off in 97 as N5 GTi-6's
when i put my order in for mine i waited over 6 months for the car and in that time i hunted around to look at a lot of other ones around and found a few that had sunroofs in them and enquired about them and found out that all N5 GTi-6's didn't get factory sunroofs untill late 98 which is another reason why i further questioned the authenticity of some of the GTi-6's i saw around the places
when i finally got into the one i had on order the first thing i noticed was how solid it felt compared to a few others i had driven which also made me very sus on some of the 97 models i had seen
the first genuine GTi-6's are actually labeled as 97B as in series 2 where as the normal 97 models were straight 97