Which Tyres !!!

406svman

Fellow Frogger
Help !

Can anyone help me with a good quality tyre for my 406sv which doesn't cost an arm or a leg.
size 205/65 R15.

Marc

The Goodyear NCT5s in 195/65 by 15 which were fitted to the 406HDI loaned to us from Peugeot Australia (for the Redex Rerun) were excellent, much better steering feel than the Michelin XH1s on the car we used earlier on.

Graham Wallis

What makes a "good tyre" from you perspective, Marc? Performance? Noise? ride? wear? or an "all rounder"? There are always trade offs in these sorts of areas, so one persons meat is another's poison.

As an aside, Graham, how did you find the 406 HDi itself? That trip would have made an ideal road test. Still cursing getting to Hughenden and Richmond on a work trip the day after the Redex had moved on!

Cheers

Rod

Rod,
The car was brilliant, 190km/h in the Northern Territory and still doing 35 MPG

Graham

That is very impressive!

I noticed there was an article in The Age today about the future of diesel cars in Australia. Sounds like Mazda and Honda will consider it if and when Holden releases diesel varients of its cars (which is quite likely according to the article).

Holden diesel hey? I hope it's a bit more technologically advanced than the Holden/Isuzu Gemini Diesel :p

I had a guy at work yesterday in a 307 - of course I gave him a sticker. He showed me the car and it was an HDi - he said he traded his diesel Gemini in on the 307 and was absolutely stoked with the car. His profession? Marine diesel engineer - good reason to like diesels! I hope he joins up soon :D

Derek.

406svman:
Help !

Can anyone help me with a good quality tyre for my 406sv which doesn't cost an arm or a leg.
size 205/65 R15.

Marc
Don't know about what's good in that size, but stay away from Goodyear Regatta and Goodyear Eagle GA. My parents' Camry V6 is fitted with them. They're cheap, quiet and comfortable but absolutely shocking lateral stability (yes, I checked the pressures!) and very poor grip both wet and dry.
Wheels magazine ran a tyre test back in April in that size, but on a VY Commodore.

Final placings:
Direct OE Replacement
1. Yokohama S760
2. Bridgestone RE92
3. Dunlop Monza 200R
4. Michelin Certis
5. Pirelli P6000
6. Goodyear Eagle GA

Premium Replacement:
1. Yokohama A539
2. Dunlop 300E
3. Bridgestone GR50
4. Michelin MXV-8
5. Toyo Tranpath MP+
6. Pirelli P6
7. Goodyear Ventura

I'd use it as a guide rather than take them at face value. I'd personally have Pirelli P6000's over the Bridgestone RE92's. And the Eagle GA's deserve 9th place out of 6th.

Just drove a 307 XS 1.6 Auto with 15"s, running Dunlop Sport 300Es. I haven't driven another 307 with normal tyres, just the 307 XSi with 17" Pirelli PZero Rossos, but I was left impressed with them. They had nice feel, turned in very well. Was only a short drive, but I was left feeling that they felt like Dunlops...strange thing to say, I know, but Sumitmomos (made by Dunlop) and my Dunlop FM901s both have a similar feel to them, and I felt the 300Es had this same feeling.

So, after my first experience with them, I would recommend them. I think they're a good value tyre.