Where's the idle motor?

DeKa

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Hi :)

I'm just running through the list of things to do on a minor service for my 306. The only thing I'm not sure about is cleaning the idle motor. What and where is the idle motor? There is a Magneti Marelli 'thing' on the side of the throttle body which has 2 wires going into it and looks like it could be a motor.

Anyone have any ideas on exactly where the idle motor is? I've got the 1.8l 8v engine.

Also, anyone know where the tilt switch is for the boot light? All I get is a flicker of light as I open the boot but then nothing dead

Thanks,
Derek cheers!

What's an idle motor btw?

The only motor I know of in the engine comparment apart from the engine is the starter motor (aside from things like the wiper motor).

Cheers,

Justin

Anyone...?

Justin that's part of the problem, I don't know what it is and not having much experience with EFI cars I don't know where to look.

Might try google given I haven't heard from anyone.

Derek.

I think I just answered my own question, so for anyone else who ever looks at this here is the answer thanks to <a href="http://www.peugeotclub.org's" target="_blank">www.peugeotclub.org's</a> forums. The answer is actually in relation to a 405 Mi16.

There is a round cylindrical object on top of the intake manifold with 2 1" unclamped hoses and an electrical connector going to it.
It is held down by a wide rubber band which allows it to be removed easily.
This is the idle speed control motor some people call it by other names.
It is responsible for controlling the idle speed. Unfortunately it gets gummed up and must be cleaned semi regularly. Wrestle the hoses off and it clear of the rubber holder. Don't bother removing the electrical connector. Flush it out with spray carb cleaner and follow that with a chaser of WD-40. Make sure it moves freely inside with the tip of your finger.
That should help.
Justin, here is some info about what the motor is and does, care of misterfixit.com :D

If you have a fuel injected car and you are experiencing stalling, hunting or fast idle problems one thing you need to check is the idle control system. These systems vary from car to car but there are basically two types. The first uses a small idle speed control servo motor which is driven by the computer. When the throttle is released and the rpms begin to drop this small motor moves a portion of the throttle linkage (gas pedal linkage) to advance the throttle so that the engine doesn't stall - sort of like you depressing the gas very slightly. As the engine rpm approaches the idle speed the computer measures the rpm and moves this small motor to adjust the speed to a set value stored in the computer's memory. If this motor fails to respond to the computer then the engine will either stall or race. If the motor responds slowly then the engine will hunt for the correct idle speed and will alternately race and approach stalling speed. Check the operation of the motor to see if it is moving the linkage.

The second type of control is the idle air control valve. Its job is to control the idle speed of the engine by allowing a small amount of air to get around a closed throttle plate. The system is similar in that the computer is the controlling factor however here the computer sends signals to a small motor that moves a pintle valve which allows air to get into the engine and thus increase the idle speed. This system gets gunked up and causes the pintle valve to stick in one place or to move slowly. The effect is the same as above, the engine stays at one rpm or it stalls when you let your foot off the gas. Remove the idle control system and soak it in a good strong carburetor cleaner to clean the gunk from the pintle shaft.

One other type of IAC system moves a pintle valve by means of engine vacuum. There is a vacuum diaphragm instead of the small motor which moves a pintle valve. Sometimes the vacuum diaphragm fails and sometimes the vacuum passages get clogged up. Remove the valve and check it out.
Hope that helps :)
Derek

the idle stepper motor is on the front of the throtttle body,two torx screws hold it on.it has a plug with three wires in it.clean it carefully and wash out the throttle body it gets real grotty. the hatch switch should be inside the hatch panel,take off the trim and look inside. :p