Wheels 2005 Tyre Test

GTI124 said:
Nothing wrong with Toyo though. The T1S, T1R and Gu:wn are all very good tyres.

That's what i wanted to hear... I'm guessing you don't have an affiliation with toyo like the guys at my local tyre place...

have experience with t1r's
bloody soft tyres
they're a fairly loud to let you know they're working :D

not a bad tyre, i think the treadwear rating is abit optimistic by toyo though..
but a nice performance tyre, surprised at some of the results it got though

al said:
They were quoting on 195/55/15, and i thought that seemed like a lot... I also looked into pirelli p6000s which were looking like being about 200 each.

I'd stay away from the P6000's, worst tyres I've ever had on the S16! I currently have Bridgestone Potenza GIII's and they leave the P6000's for dead and they are cheaper.

Don't have any complaints about them.... not as stiff in the sidewalls as the Potenza S02's I had before them, but they have good grip and I was happy enough with them to buy a second set....

Tony.

al said:
That's what i wanted to hear... I'm guessing you don't have an affiliation with toyo like the guys at my local tyre place...

al, do a search for 195/55R15 and you'll see the thread I started.

No, I don't have any affiliation.

Did a search a couple of days ago. Some useful info there, but i didn't have time to get through it all... i will do though before i buy anything though.

GTI124 said:
As Nate posted my comments from the Ford Forum, not much left to say! haha!

Maxxiis make good bicycle tyres where they've been using silica for years to increase grip in road racing. They're damn cheap too at $150 for 205/40R17s (GTI 180 size).

I haven't heard of the Maxxis either. Are they just cheap or are they a decent tyre? If you had a choice between the Maxxis, the Toyo T1-R, T1-S, the Michelin Preceda and money wasn't the clincher what would you chose?

I want a tyre that lasts more than 25k (as my P7000s have done just fine) so I guess that is a factor.

Well, obviously maxxis tyres aren't THAT bad, or they wouldn't have topped some of those tests...

I'm guessing they're a softer compound than the michelins though (it's noted in the test, and backed up by some dry results).

Also, has anyone driven on any two of these tyres? I'm guessing there will be substancial difference in feel between the symmetrical and asymmetrical tyres (i believe michelin is the only asymmetrical of the three), which will definitely be a factor in cars with handling as sharp as a peugeot's.

I guess you'd really need to drive them all to know... but i'm very happy on the preceda's, they've made my 205 utterly predictable (and hella fast)! :)

SLC206 said:
I haven't heard of the Maxxis either. Are they just cheap or are they a decent tyre? If you had a choice between the Maxxis, the Toyo T1-R, T1-S, the Michelin Preceda and money wasn't the clincher what would you chose?

I want a tyre that lasts more than 25k (as my P7000s have done just fine) so I guess that is a factor.

They're cheap and they peform well. You can also get them in two different load ratings in your size. The higher of which exceeds your load rating, always a good thing, IMO.

Preceda doesn't come in your speed rating, which might not be an issue as there's only 10-20kph max speed difference in it. How often are you going 240kph plus? hehe.

I don't know much about the T1-R at this stage. The T1-s has always been a decent wet weather tyre and a pretty good dry tyre.

In the end, though, I'd have trouble paying double for the Michelins when they don't last twice as long. I'd have real trouble looking past the Maxxiis if I had a 180. Sorry, but I can't ignore the money factor there in the end.

I'm looking for a good decent tyre that proforms well in dry and wet, but also in gravel as i'm on it alot...

just wondering if anyone has had any experances with some tyres that might cover all 3 area's resonable well... i understand that i'll be comprimising on road performance with wanting a bit of gravel grip... seams you guys know tyres so i was wondering would a asymentrical pattern be better for my needs than a directional?

DRTDVL said:
I'm looking for a good decent tyre that proforms well in dry and wet, but also in gravel as i'm on it alot...

just wondering if anyone has had any experances with some tyres that might cover all 3 area's resonable well... i understand that i'll be comprimising on road performance with wanting a bit of gravel grip... seams you guys know tyres so i was wondering would a asymentrical pattern be better for my needs than a directional?

Gravel is always fun, but the best way to get grip on gravel is by dropping your tyre pressures over what you'd run on the road. I personally don't think that many people can notice the difference in grip or ride qualities between an assymmetric and a directional. I seriously think you're kidding yourself if you think you can. The only time you'd notice the difference is with a slight whirring sounds with some directional tyres under braking on tarmac.

As much as I've driven a fair amount of gravel, I don't know what makes a good dirt tyre there. My gut tells me you'd run a slightly harder compound as anything too soft would just catch the dirt and stones. So something a bit harder like the Toyo GU:wn, Firehawk WOVL or Firestone SZ50 or Yokohama c.drive might work well on those conditions.

I've driven on a variety of performance tyres on dirt and I couldn't say which one was better or worse than the others. Ranging from Sumitomos to Continental's best and the most dramatic improvement was through tyre pressures. The Sumitomos always fared the best though, damn tough tyre. My Continentals ended up with chunks missing out of the tread. Although, the Conti ran a slightly lower profile and 1" bigger rim.

for the gravel you want a nice block tread, with a depending on the condition of the gravel a med-hard tyre...

I was thinking about the c-drives, how did you find them on the tarmac say in comparrison to the dirrezza's?

I haven't driven either, actually. Hopefully someone has who can offer an opinion for you, though :)

can anyone help?

i've got a big road trip coming up soon and would like to replace the tyres with something soonish...

DRTDVL said:

The Yokohama 539 is excellent on gravel, it has just been replaced by the C drive but you might find some old stock.
Graham

GRAHAM WALLIS said:
The Yokohama 539 is excellent on gravel, it has just been replaced by the C drive but you might find some old stock.
Graham

mom's got those on her golf, found the sidewalls very soft... do you now if the c-drives are any firmer?

SLC206 said:

Maxxis are quite large in the US and going off the prices per corner seem a good bet, however i did do some investigating into this as i was looking for replacements for my P7000's.

BJT are the only tyre stores stocking Maxxis and the top spec tyre in 205/40/17 84W is the MA - V1....@ 150.00 per corner

The tyre tested in the wheels mag is the MA - Z1 (in the larger size 235/45R17 ) which from what i understand is one rung higher in spec than the MA - V1

The Dealer @ blacktown i spoke to advised that in the 205/40/17 they didnt have the MA-Z1 listed only the MA-V1

Sorry if thats a little confusing but the gist is in for 180 owers we cant get the Top Maxxis tyre tested due to the fact they dont bring it in the size required :cry: :cry:

I guess you could still go for the MA-V1 thoug....

More info
http://www.maxxis.com/ and

http://www.maxxis.com/products/automotive/product_thumbnails.asp?id=11#Automotive

Last edited:
al said:
Anyone had anything to do with the dunlop sport 3000a? I just got quoted $165 for them...

I think we may have run them on a jag a while back, but can't remember much about them...

They're OEM on Falcon XRs, I believe. I haven't heard any comments about them on a FWD car though.

GTI124 said:
They're OEM on Falcon XRs, I believe. I haven't heard any comments about them on a FWD car though.

That's exactly what the guy said... I had someone with an Mi16 recommend the toyos, and with them as cheap as they are i might go for them. There are a couple of models, aren't there? Is one better than the other?

I'm going to get a second set of rims and tyres anyway, so these just have to do for everyday transport.

Thanks for all the wise words though guys...