What's Happening with Vel Satis

deja vu 25

Fellow Frogger
There is all this talk of the new Megane II launch, but what about the Vel Satis that was due to be launched mid year?

There is even a road registered one getting around Vic?

How many are already here?

There is no mention of them on the <a href="http://WWW.RENAULT.COM.AU" target="_blank">WWW.RENAULT.COM.AU</a>

I think Renault realised they would sell less than the 607.

That means.....next to none.

Yeah. i though they were only aiming for between 2 to 4 per month?

How many 607 do they sell per month?

Luke it is a shame isnt it.It was a great car pity they pulled the pin on it. frown

danielsydney:
Luke it is a shame isnt it.It was a great car pity they pulled the pin on it. :(
Challenging. I've not yet seen a single large, "executive" French car sell even reasonably. The 604, R25 come to mind, and the 607. They'd be lucky to sell even 2/month. A few 406 coupes in Perth - style sells them.

I'd guess the Vel Satis would be a complete flop in Australia. Now let's talk about the Kangoo 4WD!!!! That is seriously interesting.

JohnW

Now let's talk about the Kangoo 4WD!!!! That is seriously interesting.
JohnI agree why that is not being sold here is beyond me....Great car. I love it... renault_

The Kangoo is currently being aimed for 3rd quarter 2004 for Oz.. or thereabouts.

Dont think the 4wd will arrive though. Aussies tend to want 350hp 4wds. The new Kangoo 4x4 gets 70kw/95bhp from a 1.6 petrol engine or 62kw/85bhp from a 1.9dCi engine. A perfectly reasonable work car and load carrier. I do wonder how many would sell in Oz though. Will see if they find a market for it to fit into.

Renault Australia was originally going to sell the Vel Satis as a customer order only, meaning if you wanted one they would import one for you. But I think the service and spares side of things would have made it a loss making exercise! Not to mention that the resale value would have plummeted! Good for the enthusiast :) , but not for the original buyer cry !
As for the 4x4 Kangoo, I don't see why it won't be sold in Oz. The 4x4 Scenic RX4 is sold here and going by reports from the British press the Kangoo is a better off roader than the Scenic!
Food for thought.
Cheers
cheers!
Renomad

WHY BE NORMAL!

OK. Does that mean the plug has been officially pulled on the Vel Satis?

They managed to sell over 700 R25's between 85 and 89 plus 14 V6's. Mind they were not as expensive.

How about the Espace? I am presuming that it is still coming?

I thnk Renault were mad for not bringing it in in 1984!!!!!

The reason I ask is that my wife and I will actually buy one in 4 or 5 years time.

Thanks guys

As for the 4x4 Kangoo, I don't see why it won't be sold in Oz. The 4x4 Scenic RX4 is sold here and going by reports from the British press the Kangoo is a better off roader than the Scenic!
The Sceneic RX4 is being dropped from the range in Australia due to poor sales. As mentioned elsewhere in this post, most wankers that want a 4WD want a truck (even though they will rearely/never go off road), not a sensible compromise that works well on and off the road.

Ren
cheers!

No way. The RX4 is a great car. Every one I speak to that has one, loves it. In my opinion much better that the standard 2WD Scenic?

Why do they do that!!! Surely the RX4 is selling well? I remember reports last year that they were selling around 80 per month? They don't even sell as many SAAB's etc.

Hope they don't do that with the Espace

Does the Kangoo have an auto? If it doesn't, its appeal will be limited.

I'm sure that's one of the reasons why the RX4's sales have been limited.

I didnt know the Rx4 was being dropped from the range. Thats a real shame.
It was another Renault that I liked. Wish it came in an auto though they would have sold heaps more.

Craig:
The Kangoo is currently being aimed for 3rd quarter 2004 for Oz.. or thereabouts.

Dont think the 4wd will arrive though. Aussies tend to want 350hp 4wds. The new Kangoo 4x4 gets 70kw/95bhp from a 1.6 petrol engine or 62kw/85bhp from a 1.9dCi engine. A perfectly reasonable work car and load carrier. I do wonder how many would sell in Oz though. Will see if they find a market for it to fit into.
Come on Craig, I don't think you are necessarily right about the 4wd bit. Ultimately it will be the quality of the product, the price and marketing that will determine whether a Kangoo 4wd would be a profit maker in Australia.

The numbers of lightweight low powered Subarus sold here up until the demise of the L series and the current popularity of RAV4 type soft roaders suggests that a vehicle like the 4wd Kangoo could sell in numbers...if it is proced right and measures up to its competition.

2_cents

<small>[ 28 August 2003, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: BogMaster ]</small>

BogMaster... I think its a great car, they sell well here in Europe. There are many many many Kangoos on the road, including the new shape in both passenger and commercial versions.

Its a wonderful example of how Renault can build a car to perfectly fit a market. Its in the spirit of the R4 which, having just had a 4600km driving holiday in France, there are still hundreds of thousands left doing their jobs.

Renault Australia/VDA just need to be able to secure enough of the cars, meet demand and market it properly and it could sell very well.

Craig I agree with all that you have said there. People now however want an auto in these type of cars. (lazy 4x4 people) if they bring an auto kangoo 4x4 they will go like hotcakes...
I thought the only auto kangoo was the 1.4 however? Isnt that the same engine as the clio 1.4? :confused:

I heard that the RX4 was not being 'dropped' but rather that production was ceasing in europe.

Yes thats right, as far as I know the production of the Scénic Rx4 is stopping, or at least will not be announced for the Scénic II. As with the Kangoo though, the Scénic Rx4 may continue production until after many standard Scénic IIs are on the roads (theres already heaps now) but will only be sold in Europe.

The Kangoo 4x4 has only the JC7 5 speed manual gearbox. As is typical for Europe, automatic cars sell less well than manual cars, especially for smaller cars. I don't think many Europeans would want an auto Kangoo 4x4.

Find it unlikely you're going to get the Vel Satis, European sales have been minimal.
The Avantime has already been binned due to the closure of the Matra factory where it was built.

From Autoexpress Magazine:

"Critics claimed Renault's Avantime and Vel Satis were too radical for British tastes, and it looks like they're being proved right. The pair are struggling to make an impact, with sales at less than half the original targets.

Since their launch in May, only 139 Avantimes have been registered, while just 305 Vel Satis saloons have left showrooms. Renault UK's MD Philippe Talou-Derible had forecast 1,000 and 2,000 sales respectively for the first 12 months. But at the current rate, less than 450 Avantimes and around 900 Vel Satises will find homes."

It is rumoured that the majority of the 305 Vel Satis sold were pre-registered to Renault dealers!

I would hardly say that Vel Satis sales have been minimal, perhaps in the UK. Certainly they have not met expectations I think, but there are many on the roads all across France and Germany. Still, as people have said above, I think they wont sell that well in Oz.. just too radical for the Brits and Aussies.