What to look for in a 306 xr auto '96

kaiser

Fellow Frogger
hi guys

Will be looking at a 306 xr auto 96 tomorrow and am wondering what I should be on the look out for, any problems quirks etc. Any advise would be appreciated. What sort of money are these things worth?? It appears to be in very good nick on the surface. They are asking 13k (dealer). I would have thought $8-$10??

Thanks

ky

It shouldn't be an XR if it's an Auto.

An XR, by definition was a 3 door, manual only, 1.8L. $13 000 is alot of money for one of those.

Later in the model life, the XR was also the sedan.

Derek.

I'm guessing it was built late '96 and sold in '97?

As Deka the great said....if it is definately an auto it would be the N5 sedan, using the old 8 valve motor.

Not a bad rig but not a 306 I'd be looking at.

Must it be auto? A 306 Style is a pretty good thing I reckon.

macquered said:
I'm guessing it was built late '96 and sold in '97?

As Deka the great said....if it is definately an auto it would be the N5 sedan, using the old 8 valve motor.

Not a bad rig but not a 306 I'd be looking at.

Must it be auto? A 306 Style is a pretty good thing I reckon.

Hi guys

Yes its definately an Auto and a 3 door 1.8... I was suprised myself, i just happened to spot it out of the corner of my eye and though what the hell I'll go and have a look. Unfortunatley it does have to be an auto as that's what my wife insists on :whip:.
Anyway any advise would be great

Ky

Well had a look not too shabby really. I had a look at the compliance plate and its actually a '97 XR Auto, not a '96, but still wanted too much I think, they said they'd do it for 12k. They had steam cleaned the engine and it felt like water had got into the plugs, as it was farting and missing badly at lower revs. Back to the drawing board I guess. If anyone knows of a 306 XR or XT in auto going at a realistic price then let me know.

Thanks

Ky

I think I'd prefer gibgib's auto 405 sti actually, have you thought about that?

macquered said:
I think I'd prefer gibgib's auto 405 sti actually, have you thought about that?

I have, that would be my choice over the 306, especially if it has to be an auto, but my wifes got her heart set on a 306. If she wasnt lazy we would have bought a manual by now :)

Ky

How many k's has it done, what's it got?
$12000 doesn't sound crazy expensive to me.