What size tyres can fit on the 206 gti 180 rims?

mattyz

Tadpole
Hi everyone!
I have been searching the forum but I cant find anything yet (doesn't help when the words 206, gti, 180, keep getting omitted from search results cos they are "too common"! hahaha), long story short, my sister wrote off her Opel Corsa D 2012 recently, and she gave me the rims with tyres fitted. I would like to put them on my 206 gti 180 2004, but the Corsa tyres are 215/45/17, whereas my Peugeot tyres are 205/40/17.
Am I dreaming in hoping they will fit under my wheel arches without issue? I really hope I can use them as they are pretty brand new tyres with full tread on them and the 206 needs some new shoes real soon.. And the price is great for me too! lol

I presume you have used Google. If you use the Duckduckgo search box on the home page it will accept "206 gti 180 tyre". I found some material, but haven't read it all.

Tyre manufacturers have the rim size tables and tyre diameters. They won't say if the extra dimension will fit the car.

If they are factory Opel wheel aren't they a different stud pattern (PCD)? The Opel 4 x 100mm and the Peugeot 4 x 108mm?
I'd measure diagonally across the center of the square on two wheel studs on each rim, before worrying about anything else.

I think the only way you will be able to be sure is to try it yourself. You will incur some cost in having the tyres stripped and fitted. If you are able to use them there will be a slight increase in diameter, which will result in a bit of speedo error and make the gearing slightly taller - which may make the tall first gear even more of a problem than usual, though probably not by much.

Sell the opels and use the proceeds to buy new tyres for the 206.

I think the only way you will be able to be sure is to try it yourself. You will incur some cost in having the tyres stripped and fitted. If you are able to use them there will be a slight increase in diameter, which will result in a bit of speedo error and make the gearing slightly taller - which may make the tall first gear even more of a problem than usual, though probably not by much.
The Opel tyres are 29mm taller than the originals so speedo error would be 5%.

I presume you have used Google. If you use the Duckduckgo search box on the home page it will accept "206 gti 180 tyre". I found some material, but haven't read it all.

Tyre manufacturers have the rim size tables and tyre diameters. They won't say if the extra dimension will fit the car.
Thanks, i appreciate the effort! that's about as far as online searching got me too lol I probably need to be specific

hi everyone, so I seen a couple of the smaller tyre shops in my area today, 1 of them just straight wouldn't put them on my rims because they were bigger, and when I stuck my hand behind the rear wheel I couldn't even fit my little finger so I gave him the benefit of the doubt, but I got a second opinion anyway. The next guy said he couldn't put the tyres on mine but I worked out with him to take my 80% tread tyres and corsa rims, and he would fit 4 correct-sized used tyres to my rims with no extra charge! I thought that was about as good as I could ask for, as I had no idea what I was gonna do with the corsa wheels otherwise (who even has a corsa anyway!?) So I didn't actually find out if larger tyres work, but it all worked out for me in the end! I kinda wish I did give it a go tho, it would be handy to know that for future reference! Thanks everyone for the effort, i really appreciate it 😁🤘

If they are factory Opel wheel aren't they a different stud pattern (PCD)? The Opel 4 x 100mm and the Peugeot 4 x 108mm?
I'd measure diagonally across the center of the square on two wheel studs on each rim, before worrying about anything else.
Hey mate, when my sis first gave me the rims a few weeks back I looked into it, i can't remember if that was it, i think u are correct tho. but i do know that the centre hub-hole in the rim was about 5 or 6 mm larger on the pug so they wouldn't fit anyway.. one of my friends suggested grinding the holes larger to fit... obviously I haven't spoken to him for advice again about it hahaa

Suggest you check the legal requirements in your state.

For example in Queensland you can change wheel and tyre sizes within certain limits. In NSW was told by reputable tyre place can only use sizes specified on the car’s label (mine is on the bottom of the driver’s side middle door pillar).

As I regularly drive across three states was not so concerned about the law as much as if I had an accident using the wrong tyre size may give my insurer an out in paying a claim.

I've always been interested in theinsurance-refusal argument.
I wonder how things would legally go if it were demonstrated that the changed tyres were causally irrelevant to the incident.

Suggest you check the legal requirements in your state.

For example in Queensland you can change wheel and tyre sizes within certain limits. In NSW was told by reputable tyre place can only use sizes specified on the car’s label (mine is on the bottom of the driver’s side middle door pillar).

As I regularly drive across three states was not so concerned about the law as much as if I had an accident using the wrong tyre size may give my insurer an out in paying a claim.
The applicable VSI in NSW is VSI-09, revision 5 (2019).
Without engineer approved you can go: "Plus 2" in diameter above the largest diameter standard wheel available on that model, you can go 26mm wider than the widest standard wheel available on that model, the track can be increased 25mm over the widest standard track measurement for that model (50mm for 4WDs). There is no specific limit on tyre width, however it must be suitable for the width of the rim to which it is fitted and not protrude from, or foul the bodywork. The diameter of the tyre can be up to 7% larger or smaller in diameter to the largest or smallest diameter tyre fitted to that model.
Rims and tyres cannot be any narrower than the the narrowest standard rim/tyre fitted to that model.
Tyre load rating must be equal to or higher than the lowest load rating on the standard tyres fitted to that model.
Speed rating must be at least higher that the maximum speed of the car, however you can fit lower speed rated tyres, or even 130kph speed limited retreads to your Lamborghini if you want to as long as there is an approved warning label in clear view of the driver.
Virtually all of those recommendations are identical to QLDs. Tyre diameter in QLD can only be 15mm larger or 26mm smaller than the extremes that were originally fitted to that model.
QLD also has a "70% rule" where the front tyre's width can be as low as 70% of the width of the rear tyres.
As an example if you had a 4WD fitted with 31" tyres as standard, you can legally fit 33" tyres in NSW (less than 7% increase), but you can't in QLD as it's more than 15mm (not without a mod plate).
Pretty well all states follow the National Code of Practice on wheel and tyre recommendations, with the odd localised difference. There are also other variations to the permitted wheel choice if the vehicle was built pre ADR24.

The NSW guy at the "reputable tyre place" probably can't be bothered with the legislation.
"Just follow the placard", is an "I don't need to think" cop out, while at the same time he tell himself "job done".🙄
Sounds like he'd be as handy as a hat full of ar#eholes if you went in for advice on legally replacing your 390mm TRX wheels and tyres with something more readily available.
Unfortunately that level of thinking is everywhere, I almost always have to show the RWC inspector/s the QLD legislation when they attempt to fail one of my old cars or bikes on something that doesn't even apply to it.
If it's not a late model Camry or some such they've got no f#cking idea, and they can't be bothered looking.
Cops aren't much better, when it comes to what may or may not be legal on older vehicles

Reactions: cjl
I've always been interested in theinsurance-refusal argument.
I wonder how things would legally go if it were demonstrated that the changed tyres were causally irrelevant to the incident.
Unless the change in tyre size is specified in the policy the insurer could declare the policy void due to an undisclosed vehicle modification. That would give them an out regardless of state road legislation or relevance of tyres to the incident.

Unless the change in tyre size is specified in the policy the insurer could declare the policy void due to an undisclosed vehicle modification. That would give them an out regardless of state road legislation or relevance of tyres to the incident.
I've had 3 accidents in my life, all no fault, all 3 cars had non standard sized wheels and tyres. However all 3 complied with the standards set out under the "minor modifications" rules than don't require engineering.
All 3 were paid out by the relevant insurance companies with no issues.
One significantly modified vehicle was even impounded by the police, it was inspected by a team out of Brisbane and then released back to me. The only thing to come out of it was a claim that the front coils had been cut, which was BS as they were a new set of lowered Pedders coils.
The larger diameter, wider wheela and tyres (than standard) weren't mentioned at all, as they shouldn't have been, as they met the minor modifications criteria.
The minor modification rules aren't there to be challenged, they are there as a pre-approved guide to what you're permitted to do.
I would hazard a guess that worn and low pressure tyres would be more of a concern than one that's only "crime" is that it's 10mm taller and 10mm wider than what the car had when new?
I've tended to have vehicles my entire life that get the attention of Mr Plod. I've had countless discussions at the side of the road on vehicle modifications. The odd one I will cop sweet as I was aware I was pushing the envelope on what is allowed. Most mods however if you cite the relevant legislative rule and the specifics on your modification and how it complies with said standard, the police are pretty chill.

Times change, when I was a young fellow if you had a wheel wider than 7" on a Holden/Falcon/Valiant you got a date with the machinery department straiģht away.
Now you can legally fit a 10" wide rim (without a mod plate) on one of those cars as long as it is pre ADR 24, and the wheel/tyre combination complies with overall recommendations on diameter and track changes etc.🤷‍♂️