What no 6 speed box?????

Covert

Fellow Frogger
pity that there's no 6 speed box......... abit poor these days, and as it's a clup spec car, why don't they put in the sadev 6 speed as a special edition, out of the clio cup cars :) , I'd call this a minor factory tweek the 182, a legal power up not done by some third party outside warranty. If you want to look at it that way.

Engine 16-valve, 4-cylinder developed by Renaultsport
Capacity 1998cc
Max Output 182hp & 6,500rpm
Max Torque 200Nm ISO (20.7mkg DIN) @ 5,400rpm
Gearbox 5-speed
Speed (approx.) 0-62mph: 7.1 seconds
Top speed 139mph
Brakes Front 280mm
Brakes Rear 238mm
Wheels 16-inch alloys
Tyres 205/45 R16
Weight 1110kg

The following exciting options are now available:

* New 16" Renaultsport alloy wheels follow the design from the Mégane Renaultsport 225 and are fitted with wider 205/45 Michelin Exalto 2 tyres.
* The front and rear spoilers from the Cup are now available as an option.
* A Cup chassis option is introduced offering a wider track front and rear, a stiffer sidewall on the tyres, a lower ride height, stiffer springs and dampers and new steering geometry. With this option the wheels have a wider offset and are finished in an anthracite colour.

I would say in normal use a six speed box would be a bit superfluous. Certainly from looking at those figures I'd say that it may even slow things down having to change gears all the time. If you want six speeds, get an old Pug GTi6 or go HSV V8 mate!

Nice to see that you can option the Cup suspension in a normal RS Clio.

What advantages would a 6 speed box bring to a Clio?

Oh, so it's just a marketing gimmick then?

macquered said:
Oh, so it's just a marketing gimmick then?

I fail to see your point. Why not just have a 4 speed then? A good 6 speed box is a joy to use. Short ratios are what I enjoyed with the GTi6. I've never driven an RS Clio to know what it's ratios are like, but how can 6 speeds and close ratios be a bad thing?

Holden's 6 speed is a gimick. The 6th is way too tall, but I fail to see how the GTi6 box would be a gimick.

i reckon they should leave the only 6 spd car as the GTi-6
gives the GTi that bit of uniqueness over all the other froggies :D:D
and it is a joy to use
just got to love those close ratios all the way through the box

i would think the main reason why one hasn't been fitted, would be an issue of space. The GTi6 box is huge, which would have issues fitting into the Clio.

Focus ST170 used an innovative 4 speed box with identical ratios on the 5 and 6 plane as 3 and 4...or something like that.

The 6 speed in the GTi-6 is a joy!!...you can almost get a perfect gear for each corner.

Coming from the S1 205 GTi which have really short ratios....I drove them back to back and you will realise how 'tall' the GTi-6 gears are.

CHeers
Billy

I think you can forget any options for Oz. The basic 182 sport will arrive without interior options etc.

As fo 6 speed box.. hmm.. dont really see the point. I wouldnt mind try one out to see but I'm pretty happy with the Clio as it it. You want to car up on high revs anyway.. at LEAST 4500.. and closer to 5500 ot 6500 is better.

Clio RS and the Megane RS

So like the Honda's and their VTEC kicking in at high revs the clios power is very much like that, have to rev it to get the power. I wonder how the Renault Megane RS will be with the turbo added, it's 6 speed, but I think you right, marketing and people's perception of sporty are 6 speed, etc, etc........

like a sticker and alloy wheel pack to live up a stale car, as once the designs been out for a while people become bored and wish for changes, difference, etc etc......

I have yet to read anything about the RS megane, I just hope the RS clio does not lose it's gloss when the megane RS comes out, that will be interesting to watch who becomes more sort after........

Well, the RS Megane is in a different size category (ie. VW Golf versus VW Polo) but also should have the advantage of being a newer design all round. The next interesting RS I suspect will be when the new Clio comes out...

Europa said:
ummmm, yesssss and the point is?
I'm making the point you can get a 6 speed manual in practically bog standard cars, they don't need to have anything sporty.

307 HDi 135 (100kW) overseas has a 6 speed manual.

Pug307 said:
The standard 2.0 Meganes will have Nissan 6 speed manuals.

Why I wonder - Renault have their own nice 6 speed already, used in deisel Lagunas.

Haakon said:
Why I wonder - Renault have their own nice 6 speed already, used in deisel Lagunas.
Is it actually a Renault gearbox though, it could too be from Nissan.

The 5 speed auto in the Laguna II & Vel Satis is actually an Aisin Warner unit. To the best of my knowledge, the only French automatic gearbox is the 4 speed AL4/DP0.

Not entirely certain, but didnt the current Laguna come out before the takeover of Nissan?
The Aisen Warner units are supplied to several Euro makers (Astra and Vectra use them too)

Haakon said:
The Aisen Warner units are supplied to several Euro makers (Astra and Vectra use them too)
Here are all the applications of the Aisin Warner FWD 5-speed AT 50-5 model.

Nissan Maxima
Volvo S40, V40, S60, C70, V70, S80, XC90
Renault Laguna II, Vel Satis, Espace
Saab 9-3, 9-5
Opel Vectra
Lancia Thesis
Saturn Vue, Ion.

Quite a few applications there and software can change the feel of a gearbox quite a bit. Even in the 307 you can notice the difference between modes - for example if the torque converter lock up clutch plate gets a bit warm, the torque converter won't lock up and the gearbox suddenly becomes wonderfully smooth.