What is the largest Peugeot engine?

Understatement of the year. Just pulled the head of my Honda Civic wirh nearly 500,000km on it, to change the valve stem seals. ZERO sign of wear in the bore and burns ZERO oil now the valve stem seals have been replaced.

This engine is under 100kg, produces nearly 120hp from it's naturally aspirated 1.6 litres, gets 7 litres per hunded k when driven HARD and pulls 100km/h in 2nd gear. Can't think of any old engines that do all that AND do 500,000km without burning oil.
Yeah the engineering on the modern japanese engines is pretty damn impressive. If maintenance is kept up well, they really just keep going and going. When i was working at the dealership, we got in a used mitsubishi colt 1.1L, at ~750,000km with no problems. Older german engines, and volvo redblocks are fair reliable, mostly due to low stress, but they're quite heavy. My dad's w124 Mercedes was at ~600,000kms and going strong when my stepmother drove it headlong into floodwater. Such a shame with the newer Mercs & BMW's that they're built to last only as long as a lease, then fail with plastic water pumps and the like.

Try running an earlier engine on modern oils and filtration and the result may surprise. Engine life largely depends on running conditions. Commercial travelers and taxis always ran up substantial mileages. I have pulled down some very high mileage older Peugeot engines that were untouched. Engines are designed for particular applications. Long bore life was noted in some designs forty years ago.

True, although 40 years ago is now 1980, so pretty modern really. The engine in my Honda was designed atleast 35 years ago. EFI made a big difference in longevity on petrol engines, because they weren't running so rich on start up and washing all the oil off the bore.

Commercial travelers and taxis always ran up substantial mileages. I have pulled down some very high mileage older Peugeot engines that were untouched.

My father's XB Falcon taxi did 750,000km on its first engine. I have heard of a 504 doing over 1,000,000km before rebuild. I'm guessing it was a later one with the 1 million k odometer. Must have been driven only on tar roads because the later ones had that useless foam filter like the European market versions.

You don't often see engines smoking from worn our rings these days. Other things kill them first. Like drive belts. Back in the day according to 1950's mechanics talk - a Holden would get smoky from rings around 50,000 miles, a 203 was considered good for 75,000 and the Austin A 40 could need rings 20,000 to 30,000 miles. A lot of 504's were killed by head gaskets and overheating. Those foam filters were only good for lawnmowers. A 504 had come from Regans and had had two services there but the oil bath oil filter had never seen oil.

An old diesel mechanic I knew turned up his nose at the 504 diesel because it had moved from timing gears to a chain. Thought it improper. He didn't live to see DOHC diesels with timing belts.