What is the largest Peugeot engine?

odddit

Fellow Frogger
Tadpole
I know peugeot is known more for the little economical four-pots, but what is the most bonkers Peugeot engine that's ever been made? any peugeot v8's?

That is easy. Peugeot decided voiturette (light car) racing was not enough, and chose to try grandes épreuves (grand touring). They did so with an engineering tour de force: a (DOHC) 7.6-liter four-cylinder (110x200 mm) with four valves per cylinder. It proved faster than other cars of its time, and Boillot won the 1912 French Grand Prix at an average of 68.45 mph (110.2 km/h),

That is easy. Peugeot decided voiturette (light car) racing was not enough, and chose to try grandes épreuves (grand touring). They did so with an engineering tour de force: a (DOHC) 7.6-liter four-cylinder (110x200 mm) with four valves per cylinder. It proved faster than other cars of its time, and Boillot won the 1912 French Grand Prix at an average of 68.45 mph (110.2 km/h),

I was under the impression they had much higher capacities earlier in the century... 12l or so...
I ll see if I can dig out some info from a thing called a book...

Cheers

Dino

oh man those really early like 10 liter inline 4's really get my vigor up. I believe there was a FIAT unit in the '10s sometime that was a 16L inline four, pistons the size of your head.

Probably the v12 diesel hybrid it had over 800hp from memory

I think the below refers to the non-hybrid version of the same engine. Version of the engine also appeared in a concept car. The Hybrid version added 80 hp.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peugeot_908_HDi_FAP

"The Peugeot 908 is powered by a 5.5 L (340 cu in) HDi diesel engine, the maximum size allowed by Le Mans Prototype rules. Its configuration is a 100° V12, the angle having been chosen to lower the center of gravity. Its output has been revealed to be over 730 horsepower (540 kW) and 1,200 N⋅m (890 lbf⋅ft) of torque, nearly 10% more than Audi's similar R10 TDI.[8]"

I think the below refers to the non-hybrid version of the same engine. Version of the engine also appeared in a concept car. The Hybrid version added 80 hp.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peugeot_908_HDi_FAP

"The Peugeot 908 is powered by a 5.5 L (340 cu in) HDi diesel engine, the maximum size allowed by Le Mans Prototype rules. Its configuration is a 100° V12, the angle having been chosen to lower the center of gravity. Its output has been revealed to be over 730 horsepower (540 kW) and 1,200 N⋅m (890 lbf⋅ft) of torque, nearly 10% more than Audi's similar R10 TDI.[8]"
wild, didn't know there were diesel racers at le mans. Part of me has always wanted to see a proper, high profile racing series without engineering restrictions, like F1 but vacuum cars are allowed, you can use whatever crazy fuel you want, can be electric if you think it'd win, as big or small as you'd like, just to see what pace can be had without the restrictions.

I wonder if peugeot or any french marque other than bugatti will ever put out a proper supercar. I've seen some of those peugeot supercar concepts and they look absolutely bangin', like the Quasar, which i can hardly believe is based on a 205. Maybe i'll make a kit quasar one day in the deep future.

Peugeot produced large aero engines during the First War at Lavallois. A museum has a L112 V12 that produced a claimed 600 bhp. They made aero engines until the early 1920's. There was a prototype X layout 12 cylinder.
Peugeot tested a V8 engine in the late 1930's for an 802 that never saw production. A prototype competition V8 disappeared into Germany during the occupation.

wild, didn't know there were diesel racers at le mans. Part of me has always wanted to see a proper, high profile racing series without engineering restrictions, like F1 but vacuum cars are allowed, you can use whatever crazy fuel you want, can be electric if you think it'd win, as big or small as you'd like, just to see what pace can be had without the restrictions.

I wonder if peugeot or any french marque other than bugatti will ever put out a proper supercar. I've seen some of those peugeot supercar concepts and they look absolutely bangin', like the Quasar, which i can hardly believe is based on a 205. Maybe i'll make a kit quasar one day in the deep future.

The diesels were successful because they were not down on power by much, but were 50% more economical than the petrol cars, which meant less pit stops and less time not racing compared to the petrol cars. I think they achieved 3mpg where the petrol cars were down to 2mpg. That's 50% better !!!

Cheers

Justin

Don´t forget their little economical 3-potters as well.

At the other end of the scale is the 2004 (that is the year, not the model number) concept called 907 Sequential. It had a 6.0 litre petrol V12, developing 605kw or 822hp. Dunno how many torques.

Engine size is clearly not an issue in France but can be an impediment to sales in Australia.

Well I love the 110kw 1.6 in my T9 308. It's got plenty of power and i've never felt it was lacking, would love to have a drive of the GT to compare though. I hear the 3cyl is a great engine too (in terms of being well refined + economical) but im sure it would feel pretty sluggish in comparison. People look at the figures and think the engine is too small for the size of the car, but drive a recent Peugeot and I think you will be pleasantly surprised. They are much better engineered and more lightweight compared to the competition.

Have to agree - the 110kw 1.6 is a great performer. 240Nm @ 1400-4400rpm means that it's never out of breath, and the 6 speed means it's always in the right gear. It's a great combo and a great thing to drive. Just a shame that this engine was only available for a short period of time. The small turbo means there's no lag.

Even the 1.2l makes 230Nm @ 1750rpm. That's a great stat. My old GTi6 only made 193Nm and you had to wait until 5500rpm to use that.

Cheers

Justin

Buyers who compare specifications often see the larger engine of competitors at the same price as an advantage. Cars were once grouped in classes by engine capacity. Although an increasing number of buyers have little interest in engine specifications. I presume it is possible to gain better fuel efficiency with a smaller capacity although the gain in that is lost if the engine requires a higher grade of fuel than 91. In the light commercial field engine capacity remains important and new model utilities are not fitted with smaller engines used in European markets.

Buyers who compare specifications often see the larger engine of competitors at the same price as an advantage. Cars were once grouped in classes by engine capacity. Although an increasing number of buyers have little interest in engine specifications. I presume it is possible to gain better fuel efficiency with a smaller capacity although the gain in that is lost if the engine requires a higher grade of fuel than 91. In the light commercial field engine capacity remains important and new model utilities are not fitted with smaller engines used in European markets.
I wonder how much of this is just a holdover of attitudes from before forced induction was commonplace on every new engine. I think younger buyers are more enticed by smaller, economical engine, but with how the economy's set up, younger buyers are becoming rarer and rarer, as well as the prevalence of uber et al. Of course this all goes out the window with commercial vehicles, you just need max capacity with min fuel consumption there, to hell with the driving experience.

Aren't the big engine people hangovers from the rusted on Holden (or Ford) men, who could never see any virtue in cars like the 404, 504, 505 etc no matter how often they were told, or even shown?

We were all told again and again that nothing less than six cylinders had any utility in this country.