What Gordini motor do I have?

Mackar

Tadpole
Tadpole
Hi all I bought a Renault 4CV and the previous owner said it had a Gordini motor and is not original. Can anyone identify wich one I have?

Attachments

• IMG_0060.jpeg
    IMG_0060.jpeg
    70.8 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0061.jpeg
    IMG_0061.jpeg
    65.8 KB · Views: 99
Hi Mackar, That looks like a Dauphine Gordini motor
"The Dauphine’s 845cc four-cylinder engine was a bored version of the 4CV’s Billancourt engine, with an iron block, three main bearings and alloy head.
Gordini added a 32mm carb and higher-compression cylinder head with bigger valves, to the normal Dauphine engine, reaping 27kW and 65Nm, driving through a four-speed gearbox;"
There should be a plate on the side of the motor with some numbers to identify it.
1708055844579.png Similar to this tag(but different numbers)
jaahn

Thanks Jaahn. You are a barrel of info. Mine is hooked up to the original 3 spd. Can’t see any numbers from the top. Will put it up on the hoist when I am finished with the HK premier and have a look. Cheers.

My first 4CV (bought '64) was a standard '55 (? - memory!) spider-wheel with a D-G motor. The 3-speed didn't bother me (2nd was a lovely gear) but the brakes did (& the steering is stupidly slow). You could happily leave it as is I suppose but if it's a 3-stud wheel model (post '58) then I'd recommend fitting Dauphine drums (bolt off, bolt-on simple switch).

Engine # is on a plate on the RHS of the block as I recall. Easily seen when on the ground (car, not human).

Here are some pictures of a Dauphine engine number tag. It is on the RHS at the front of the motor, on the camshaft tunnel, close to the water pump drive belt. Note the front is relative to the car front.
1708121607895.png

Here is a video of a guy trying to demonstrate what not to do at home folks with an unguarded running motor and no protective gear in view, shirt not tucked in etc !!! :rolleyes: :mad: Wow his family jewels got very close to that generator fan/pulley at one early stage. The engine was able to move easy as well ?
You can just see the tag as described above, past the red battery clamp.
Jaahn

Last edited:
I checked for the engine number and was hiding behind the coil. the numbers 3918 were stamped in the block and not on a plate. The video shows an oil filter. Mine has no oil filter. Knowing this i guess my Gordini motor is an early one. Could mine be smaller than the 845cc motor?

All D-G motors were 845cc.
The filter was a "bypass" filter in which, say, 10% of oil flow went through the filter. As I understand things, that 10% was more thoroughly filtered than occurs in a modern "full flow" filter.

Mine was adapted to take a screw-on modern full flow filter (with anti drain back valve). Some part from a Valiant was used as I recall. Doing something like this is recommended.

Yes I saw that big oil filter and thought "I do not remember one of those" ?? I thought that none of those old motors in those years ever had oil filters from the factory. But it may have changed as the years went on.
Indeed as I remember there were adds in the old car and hobbies magazines of the day, which I read, that advertised kits to fit filters to improve life. Either bypass filters like 4CV Gordini spoke of which were easier to fit, or full flow filters which required a bit more work. Even filters that used a toilet roll in a cannister. Hard to remember really after 60+ years or so :oops:
But you must remember that other markets did get some different improvements first. The USA was a big valuable market and may have been supplied with upgraded specs not offered here. And after a while full filters became the norm on new models introduced in the 1960s.
Jaahn

Hi all I bought a Renault 4CV and the previous owner said it had a Gordini motor and is not original. Can anyone identify wich one I have?

Hi Mackar, That looks like a Dauphine Gordini motor

Rocker cover with just the embossed G looks like it's off the Type 670-05 R1091 Dauphine Gordini motor, as does the two auto choke pipes into the exhaust manifold. The earlier 670-04 had embossed Gordini and the G.

For more details see if you can find parts catalogue PR643 and repair manual MR45, I'm not sure if there's an addendum for the 670-05 engine.

In addition to this forum, you'll find a wealth of info on your 4CV at

1708218525072.png

Hi, it looks like you have brought the ex Hamish Stringer car. congratulations! The Renault 4cv Register is having a mini muster ( gathering ) in Mildura in march. a great way to check out other cars and meet their owners.

Hi, it looks like you have brought the ex Hamish Stringer car. congratulations! The Renault 4cv Register is having a mini muster ( gathering ) in Mildura in march. a great way to check out other cars and meet their owners.
Thanks jcav750 I will be there. I take it Hamish Stringer raced the 4cv? I bought the car here, but there is a badge on the grill saying Western districs car club.

Thanks jcav750 I will be there. I take it Hamish Stringer raced the 4cv? I bought the car here, but there is a badge on the grill saying Western districs car club.
We look forward to meeting you in Mildura! I'll back up Mr 4cvgordinis comments about brakes... Good you have a car with some known history.

on the test vidio i see an open vented fuel container and ,and an exhaust hopefully not shooting out flames ,i have experionced some excitment when the fuel air ratio gets rite ,and you have a naked flame ,fortunatly i lived to tell the tail

Cottonwood Motel Mildura, Saturday and Sunday March 8-9-10. But I suspect it is booked out regarding some meals, events etc. Are you a member of the Renault 4CV Register of Australia - I don't know your name so can't check. Perhaps sent me a PM though Aussiefrogs so we can communicate by email sooner rather than later. It's a good opportunity to meet, that's for sure. Spitting distance from Merbein South!

Cottonwood Motel Mildura, Saturday and Sunday March 8-9-10. But I suspect it is booked out regarding some meals, events etc. Are you a member of the Renault 4CV Register of Australia - I don't know your name so can't check. Perhaps sent me a PM though Aussiefrogs so we can communicate by email sooner rather than later. It's a good opportunity to meet, that's for sure. Spitting distance from Merbein South!
Thanks John. My Ph No 0427344809

We look forward to meeting you in Mildura! I'll back up Mr 4cvgordinis comments about brakes... Good you have a car with some known history.
brakes shouldn't be a problem on this particular 4cv. From memory the previous owner (Hamish) had fitted disc brakes. I'm interested to see how he did it while keeping the spider wheels. You will have to investigate for me John, as i wont be able to attend the mini muster this time round.