Welded on diff ring gear ?

jaahn

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Hi this is for general comment and concerns diffs in Mercedes Sprinter vans 2006 >>.
On that forum a punter had received some information about fitting an ARB air locker diff center to his 4x4 Sprinter and questioned why he had to buy extra parts for it to be fitted. I looked at the list and concluded that it said, because these had the ring gear welded on they could not be swapped over to the new center. So a new aftermarket ring and pinion set with new bolts had to be supplied for fitting. WOY that is expensive and a heap of work to fit.
https://view.publitas.com/arb-4x4-accessories-1/air-locker-application-guide/page/10-11

My question for discussion is; has anyone ever seen a diff made with the ring gear welded to the center as a factory fitting ???
Jaahn

No I haven't seen welded on crown wheels. But my experience in not recent.

You wonder why a manufacture would choose to do this.

Cheers
I haven't heard of it before, either.
But the obvious reason is cost of production, less machining, no bolts, quick assembly. And on the positive side, those crown wheel bolts are not going to get loose!
Not silly when you think about it - how often is a crown wheel/pinion replaced in a well maintained axle - basically never.
And when/if it is needed, I guess you just have to purchase the crown wheel and centre as a unit.
The sort of thing that really pees us off when we go to repair it, but the manufacturer doesn't care too much about that, as we know.
Cheers.

I haven't heard of it before, either.
But the obvious reason is cost of production, less machining, no bolts, quick assembly. And on the positive side, those crown wheel bolts are not going to get loose!
Not silly when you think about it - how often is a crown wheel/pinion replaced in a well maintained axle - basically never.
And when/if it is needed, I guess you just have to purchase the crown wheel and centre as a unit.
The sort of thing that really pees us off when we go to repair it, but the manufacturer doesn't care too much about that, as we know.
Cheers.
Hi.

It would make more sence in a streamlined production system, if the gear teeth were hobbed after the blank crown wheel was welded onto the carrier. Don't know if there is room to do this though.

Cheers.