Water pump tensioner 308

JolC

Tadpole
Hi, I’m new to this site so please go easy.
Got a Peugeot 308 1.6 turbo petrol. Engine has a ticking sound. My neighbour who is a Peugeot mechanic released the tensioner pull tab which drives the water pump and the noise went away. He suggested there might be a stone in the belt or water pump pulley. I pulled it all apart and cleaned it up with no sign of any contamination. The sound is like a loose tappet but I’m almost positive the noise is in the tensioner mechanism itself. I can manipulate the tension and make the sound appear even when the water pump isn’t spinning.
Any ideas? I’m guessing there is a shock absorbing quality in the tensioner

No idea, I replaced mine for the same reason, ours was the unit without the electrical plug so running all the time not switched by ECU

Hi, I’m new to this site so please go easy.
Got a Peugeot 308 1.6 turbo petrol. Engine has a ticking sound. My neighbour who is a Peugeot mechanic released the tensioner pull tab which drives the water pump and the noise went away. He suggested there might be a stone in the belt or water pump pulley. I pulled it all apart and cleaned it up with no sign of any contamination. The sound is like a loose tappet but I’m almost positive the noise is in the tensioner mechanism itself. I can manipulate the tension and make the sound appear even when the water pump isn’t spinning.
Any ideas? I’m guessing there is a shock absorbing quality in the tensioner
Try taking the oil cap off

When I pull the tensioner cable out this disconnects it from the water pump and crank pulley. The noise goes away

The engine is quite noisy with the cap off so it’s hard to hear the noise. There is a bit of blow by but nothing unusual and the engine doesn’t use any oil or blow smoke. If you sit inside the car, the noise is still the same.

I pulled it off and had a good clean and inspect. Everything seems good. With the car on the hoist and right wheel off along with the arch trim, you can gain access to everything. With the engine running, I can manipulate the tensioner so that it’s wheel turns against the crank pulley, but the water pump doesn’t turn. The noise is still there.

I might do but it will take a while. I’m really thinking it’s the water pump tensioner. I’ll let you know

DMC when the plastic blades in the water pump breaks is there a similar sound. Ours was the tensioner as water pump had already been replaced and with 195km on the clock me thinks a replacement was on the cards.

I did like your idea about the pcv valve. I also removed the dip stick but the noise was still there. It sounds like a loose tappet. Was that your sound Dimistyle?

Pity the one I’m talking about isn’t a belt tensioner. Maybe the word tensioner is misleading. Good web page though

It’s also called a friction wheel.

Attachments

• B828DC6D-430E-4216-9EBF-C218C0317B8E.jpeg
    B828DC6D-430E-4216-9EBF-C218C0317B8E.jpeg
    12.8 KB · Views: 15