Washer bottle

R17G

Fellow Frogger
Anyone know if the washer bottle on the 17 is the same as the 12?

It is the same bottle. I have seen a few 17's and its the same as the 12 bottle.

danielsydney said:
It is the same bottle. I have seen a few 17's and its the same as the 12 bottle.
Daniel, did you verify the authenticity of the "few 17's" washer bottles you saw? Could they potentially have been replaced sometime over the last 30 or so years?

Certainly my R17TS had quite a different arrangement from any of the 12's I've owned. I know this to be original as it matches the parts book pictures. It consists of a reservoir and a seperate pump motor.

You certainly could get away with a R12 bottle/motor arrangement, or pretty well any other alternative.

There are many versions of washer bottle fitted to the R12. Last year when my washer bottle sprung a leak I searched my fathers' collection of P504 wrecks until I found one exactly the same. Within his collection of P504s there was a range of styles of washer bottles and interesting that one of them also matched my 76 R12. So it looks like washer bottles were a generic part in the Heidelberg factory where both Renaults and Pugs were assembled in the 70s.

On the AUS cars versions there only seem to be a couple of types. The Australian content locally manufactured version held on by a strap to the LH inner wing with electric motor in the base of the bottle used up to mid 1974. Then the proper French Transpar version with motor in the cap used from mid '74 onwards. However these usually succumbed early on to the motor pump shaft rusting in the plastic tube leading one warranty claim person saying it was the most processed warranty item and suggesting Renault change back to the old locally manufactured version.

Both of these are different to the 15/17 type, which as Europa described, they have a separate motor to the actual washer bottle.

Yes it is of the type with the motor in the cap. And yes the motor works but the shaft has seized in the centre. I guess I would just like to keep it looking original.

R17G said:
Yes it is of the type with the motor in the cap. And yes the motor works but the shaft has seized in the centre. I guess I would just like to keep it looking original.
If you could source a transpar bottle (the original, with no motor) - you should be able to mount a generic pump motor where the original one was fitted - would look original enough...