Wanted:P306XT

renweave

Fellow Frogger
Wanted to buy P306XT Hatch (post 97, N5), manual, low km. Preferably in Southern NSW or ACT.

renweave:
Wanted to buy P306XT Hatch (post 97, N5), manual, low km. Preferably in Southern NSW or ACT.
<a href="http://www.aussiefrogs.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000328" target="_blank">http://www.aussiefrogs.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000328</a>

FOUND :D :D

Alan S

I did notice this ad before posting mine, but it sounds like it may have been flogged at high speed a few too many times.

renweave:
I did notice this ad before posting mine, but it sounds like it may have been flogged at high speed a few too many times.
There's nothing wrong with a few track days, if anything it teaches you how to treat the car better.
I'd be more worried about buying a car that's driven on short trips and revved from cold.

renweave:
Fair comment, but if he hadn't said that would you have still looked at the car? If so, then still do & take it on face value; after all, this is how these cars are driven every day over in Europe - flat stick, and they still get big mileage before repairs over there.
If nothing else it's an honest ad and should really be treated as such. After all, a one owner low mileage car only driven on Sundays fits the description of Mark Skaife's Commodore from Bathurst, if you get my drift. dance dance

Alan S cheers!

I've seen macquered's car a few times at aussiefrogs meets - it looks in beautiful condition, and as Alan says I think it'd still be worth a look. Continuous high-rev driving is not bad engines after all.

Derek
p.s. get the stickers renweave?

I can understand your concern renweave =)

The car has been appreciated, and not flogged. I admit the car has had a harder life than some.

I would rather be honest about the life that the car has had. Some of the people here know me and the car and I would be kidding myself if I tried to pass the car off as something it isn't.

Good luck in your search for an XT - there's a few for sale on <a href="http://www.drive.com.au," target="_blank">www.drive.com.au,</a> hopefully there is something there that might suit you.

Brendan

this one may help?:-
<a href="http://www.prestigeautowarehouse.com.au/templates/Tdefault.asp?ID=25" target="_blank">http://www.prestigeautowarehouse.com.au/templates/Tdefault.asp?ID=25</a>

Got the stickers,thanks DeKa. One for the R12 wagon and one for the 306, when I find the right one. Didn't mean to knock your car macquered, but I am looking for one that has had a quieter life. I've also been told that the 1.8L N5 306 is a stronger (longer lasting) engine. Any comments?

I'm not sure about the strength of either of the engines, perhaps a call to one of the Peugeot mechanics around the place might answer that one for you. The 2.0 is more common though.

My only experience with the 1.8 16v motor was a '98 XT that I had for a couple of days while my was being serviced. I felt that it was a sweeter engine that liked more revs than my 2.0 XT. It did have noticably less torque under 4000 rpm than the 2.0 but this isn't such a bad thing. It was a fun, peppy engine and it suits the 306 well.

If I recall correctly, the updated N5 shape (clear headlights) had the increased service intervals of 20,000 kms.

Have you considered a Diesel? Amazing engine. Only comes in the sedan though.

A peugeot mechanic I know did recommend the 1.8 over 2L N5/ engine combination. I would probably consider a diesel, my dad's a Pug diesel fan, and I think some did come as hatchback. There's a 306 Style for sale in ACT at the moment, 1 owner, low km. The dilemma is do I really need 5 doors, or would 3 be enough?

renweave:
The dilemma is do I really need 5 doors, or would 3 be enough?
Five is a lot more practical, although I suppose it depends on what you do with it. If you don't carry a lot of loads or people two would do. But five makes it easier to load as well as having that extra ease of entry for passengers. I suppose in extreme circumstances the two door would likely be stiffer too, but in normal motoring that difference is not likely to be discernable.

Simon

renweave,

I had t he same dilemma when I bought my 306 XR (the 2 door). I wanted 4 doors, but 4 doors were all out of my price range at the time.

The 2 door option has been great for me - i mean I only have more than 1 other person in the car on occasions, and I personally think the car looks better with just 2 doors. Gives you a nice big slab of metal behind the doors to polish up like a mirror (like mine at the moment :D )

The other thing, the doors are absolutely enormous. Just check them out. That means that you can put stuff into the back seat easily, without even tilting the seat forward, or if you want to put a box or anything on the back seat, tilt the seat forwards and you're in.

I rarely use the boot in my 306 cos everything gets thrown around with its very fun cornering abilities wink

Glad you got the stickers - i sent one of each - the external ones are for tinted windows obviously.

Derek :)