Wanted - 405 or 306

simah

Fellow Frogger
Hi,

I am looking for a 405 Mi16 or SRDT (I know they are very different, but either will do) or a 306 S16. The car will be used as the main (and only) means of transport, doing a lot of country kilometres. The car is required to replace my ailing 504 (Ti). I would prefer a later model, but particularly low kilometers on the clock and well looked after. Around the $10,000 - $20,000 price bracket.

If you know of any, please let me know either here, or at simonhall@fastmail.fm

And one last thing, the car needs to be in Melbourne or northern Victoria / southern New South Wales (I live in the Reverina).

Thankyou, Simon.

Simon, as a S16 owner, i recommend, a 406 Sedan of sometype. You don't mind an auto do you. know you didn;t mention them but its a very nice car, very comfortable and reliable too. The series 1 is well in your price range and they make a great long distance car. Better on fuel would be the diesel, but a 406 driven well is better than a S16 or a Mi-16
Just on long trips i know which car, id get now... but a very nice 405-mi16 isn't bad either.
In your price range (esp $18+) you cam pick up a very nice 406, with all the trimings and extras.
good luck' cheers Xq

ps!! read the thread tittled 406 automatics!!!.... some good imput.

<small>[ 26 April 2003, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: xqisid ]</small>

There is a 5spd manual 2L 406 selling for about $18k at a dealer in Melbourne (Bayford I think). It is white, and has nearly 70,000kms on it.

Simon,

Well we have a few 306GTi6's listed in the for sale section here that are only *slightly* over that price range. You might have to change the display days (top right) to a longer period say 60 days to see the listings.

If you're after a 306, I'd go for a GTi6 (2 door) or an XSi (4 door) over an S16. The reason being is the S16 in Australia was pre 1997, so were an N3 series car. I have owned both an N3 series 306 (pre 1997) and currently have an N5 series 306 (this is a 1999 306XSi) and they are much better cars, especially with the 2.0L engine. Far fewer rattles as well.

I have been in an N5 306XT (it was a 1998 model) with the 1.8L 16V engine and that seemed very driveable too.

I've done 5000km in my 306 XSi in the 6 weeks I've had it - it's a very comfortable highway car. I don't remember changing gears between Sydney and Temora :)

Derek

Thanks for the ideas.

I really do want a manual gearbox (that just about writes out everything other than a Peugeot), and I am not really interested in a 406 at the moment.

Simon

Simon,

Why not look at a Cit in say a Xsara so as to widen your options.
Not nuch different apart from the badge on the grille & I've known a couple of Xsara owners who are absolutely rapt in their cars.
I live in Central coastal Queensland & usually fly to Sydney inspect cars after doing the initial inquiries by phone & drive home. deal
Virgin blue charge about 100 bucks one way & it costs me about the same again in petrol but I save a couple of thou on the price & have a much better range to choose from.
I'm sure if you spotted something up there, somebody from this board who lives close by would do a preliminary check for you.
Here's one out of the Trading Post to give you an idea of what's on offer in them in Sydney.

"Citroen Xsara 1999 silver 1.8L 6 speed manual, 44000kms, 1 owner, recently serviced, rego till August, AIQ-79R, good condition, $13800 negotiable WAVERLY 0422-16 3466 Call mobile anytime or 02-93623811"

Worth a look?

Alan S cheers!

Simon, as you want a manual, and not a 406, id recommend a Xsara VTS, a 405Mi-16 or a GTI-6, they will drop well into the low 20's soon and 405's are easy for you, but try and find one?
As Deka pointed out if its a 306 go for a N5 (later models) as they are as a crusing car the pick of the bunch, spesh the Xsi N5, nice..
S16's are awesome, just a poor mans gti-6. lots of poetential. but id have to admit even when i first had it (before race gear), it wasn't all that great over very long distances.. i once whent to canberra, melbourne, adelaide and back in it...
personaly id go for a 406, but its your choice.
cheers good luck
Xq

Yeah yeah I'm happy to do preliminary inspections and take digital photos.

Xq, I'm glad my car gets your approval wink Why do you say your car was not good over long distances? My old Pug did 5000km in the 2 week period before I sold it - I thought it was fantastic on long distance trips. I admit the new one is more comfortable.

Derek

Is ntrx's GTi-6 still up for sale? If I remember correctly it was in your price range..

DeKa:
Xq, I'm glad my car gets your approval wink Why do you say your car was not good over long distances?
Derek
S16's are less forgiving in the longer trips as compared to the normal models, the suspension, fuel usage and overall ride is a little too sporty..
Mine's a pain cos of no A/C, No CD player, No rear carpet/seats/insulation, has race seat and i dirve it like one too...lol.
Your car gets extra aprooval coz of your driving antics too!lol... cheers Xq

I may consider selling my Mi16 for the right price.

Cal.

There are a few 405mi16's around some of the dealers of late. I have noticed 90-92 models with approx 150kms for about $10k.

eg theres a 92 model with 148kms at the oldtimer centre asking $9,995. <a href="http://www.old.com.au" target="_blank">www.old.com.au</a>

check it out ... mind you i may buy it if i cant find a decent goddam 205!

cheers

Go on Ahsley buy it, so I can rip the motor out and stick it my wonderful 205! dance

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your replies and emails.

I have just purchased what I think is a very nice 405 Mi16. 1993 model (series 2), travelled 130,000 km.

So far it has proved a lot of fun to drive and hopefully this will continue for a long time.

First tank of petrol it did 8.3L/100km, not quite up to the standard of the SRDT, but I am still very happy. Except that it needs premium unleaded petrol. Oh well, the fun factor is the important aspect.

Thanks, Simon